U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 05:36 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Oh yeah!

"I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and lived here, even though sometime back they may have entered illegally," Ronald Reagan said in 1984.
So those who have managed to evade the law the longest should be rewarded for doing so? I wonder if an American lawbreaker could use that as a defense to stay out of jail? Ronald Reagan lived to regret his decision of amnesty.

Republicans today have learned from his mistake of an amnesty and have provided solutions to make illegals leave and to deter them from coming here. Even Bush got shot down by the Republicans in congress for his amnesty stance. As I said though the Republicans have solutions it is just that your side doesn't like them because the illegals will leave on their own from these solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Oh yeah!

"I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and lived here, even though sometime back they may have entered illegally," Ronald Reagan said in 1984.
Reagan blew it. There's NO reason to make that mistake again.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:04 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Reagan blew it. There's NO reason to make that mistake again.
Actually congress and Senate blew it. The deal was that Reagan would sign the bill into law if congress would then pass a budget that included improving border secuirity. Congress and Senate promptly choked.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:05 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,465,796 times
Marco Rubio is an Uncle Tomás. It's okay for Cubans to come here on rafts and seek asylum (because both parties made sure that they got it to bolster their ideological credentials against communists). But Mexicans who wanna do the same? Keep 'em out.

Hopefully most Hispanic Americans understand the difference between Hispanics and Florida who get preferential country-club treatment and the ones in the rest of the country.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,148,138 times
I wouldn't expect anything more from that sellout Rubio. Cubans have their special treatment where they can come here and get instant legal residency for no good reason. His total lack of moral scruples may get him that VP nod so maybe its all his endgame.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,720,491 times
If amnesty is granted AGAIN, citizens at the bottom of the economy should be compensated by Congress for economic damages.

Having said that, I maintain my opposition to Mario Rubio on other grounds.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Marco Rubio is an Uncle Tomás. It's okay for Cubans to come here on rafts and seek asylum (because both parties made sure that they got it to bolster their ideological credentials against communists). But Mexicans who wanna do the same? Keep 'em out.

Hopefully most Hispanic Americans understand the difference between Hispanics and Florida who get preferential country-club treatment and the ones in the rest of the country.
It's very hard to cross water illegally so that keeps OUT most Cubans. Believe me: if we had scads of illegal Cubans, people would turn against them real fast.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It's very hard to cross water illegally so that keeps OUT most Cubans. Believe me: if we had scads of illegal Cubans, people would turn against them real fast.
Have you been to South Florida?

Illegal Cuban migration, after years of decline, is up again - Cuba - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/10/09/2445346/illegal-cuban-migration-after.html - broken link)

Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

Neither one of them should be allowed to break our immigration laws with impunity. I am heartily sick of racist hispanic nationalists who perpetually argue otherwise.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
I would like to see and end to the "wet foot, dry foot" policy in regards to Cubans but I hardly think that Rubio is a race traitor by opposing "illegal" immigration by Mexicans or other Hispanic groups. Since the first scenario isn't illegal that doesn't make sense. Comparing a refugee status to a plain old border jumper doesn't make sense either. I get tired of hearing that all Hispanics should stick together because of a common language. Cubans have very little in common with Mexicans otherwise.

Think about it. Should I advocate for those from England to come here illegally just because we share a common language or skin color? I don't think so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or