Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:35 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,565,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
No reasonable person; even a hardcore anti illegal immigration hater, has a problem with what you depicted.
Perhaps I should have said this: in their own social groups. My DH's grandmother came to this country at age 17 from Sweden. She never learned English, though she lived into her 80s. Oakland, Neb. had enough Swedish speaking people, that she had no need to. I don't know about Swedish language newspapers there, but the restaurant menus were printed in Swedish, so I have been told. My mother-in-law said her family, of Danish origin, only could go to church every other week, because the alternate weeks the service was in Swedish only (same general area). "Assimilation" was not as complete as some idealists would have you think. It usually takes a few generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 10:49 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,080,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Perhaps I should have said this: in their own social groups. My DH's grandmother came to this country at age 17 from Sweden. She never learned English, though she lived into her 80s. Oakland, Neb. had enough Swedish speaking people, that she had no need to. I don't know about Swedish language newspapers there, but the restaurant menus were printed in Swedish, so I have been told. My mother-in-law said her family, of Danish origin, only could go to church every other week, because the alternate weeks the service was in Swedish only (same general area). "Assimilation" was not as complete as some idealists would have you think. It usually takes a few generations.
Again; it sounds to me that your ancestors came here legally and; did not demand that everything be bi-lingual Swedish, Danish, etc.

Too; the German speakers here in the USA tried that bi-lingual bit prior to WW I------suffice to say; that concept was quickly snuffed out.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:06 AM

Well, I am talking about my husband's family in these last few posts. I'm not sure what legal immigration was before the "reforms" of the 1920s. All on my side and those on his mother's side were here long before that. I think they just decided to come, and came. DH's paternal grandparents did come through Ellis Island in 1905. I know things were a little stricter then (we visited there recently), but I'm not sure if you needed a visa, etc at that time either.

The point is, there was a lot of informal bi-lingualism going on "back in the day".

My mom's family was from Germany and they spoke German at home. In fact, her grandfather, who lived with them, forbade anyone from speaking English in the house. And he was a Civil War veteran! Gradually, less and less German was spoken. By the time my aunt, seven years younger than my mom, was 10 yrs old or so, they only spoke German when they didn't want her to know what they were saying! My mom could speak and read German.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:29 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,470,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Well, I am talking about my husband's family in these last few posts. I'm not sure what legal immigration was before the "reforms" of the 1920s. All on my side and those on his mother's side were here long before that. I think they just decided to come, and came. DH's paternal grandparents did come through Ellis Island in 1905. I know things were a little stricter then (we visited there recently), but I'm not sure if you needed a visa, etc at that time either.

The point is, there was a lot of informal bi-lingualism going on "back in the day".

My mom's family was from Germany and they spoke German at home. In fact, her grandfather, who lived with them, forbade anyone from speaking English in the house. And he was a Civil War veteran! Gradually, less and less German was spoken. By the time my aunt, seven years younger than my mom, was 10 yrs old or so, they only spoke German when they didn't want her to know what they were saying! My mom could speak and read German.
I agree during the Great Wave there were many immigrant families that spoke the native tongue in the home. Many elderly immigrants may have found the prospect of learning a new language too daunting and simply continued to speak German or whatever.
The key difference, IMO, is that I don't think these people were proud of the fact that they did not speak English. They certainly did not demand that they be accomodated with forms in Greek or Italian interpreters.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:41 AM

My husband's grandmother came here at 17, lived into her 80s, never learned English. She had 60-70 yrs to learn it, never did. From all I have heard, she was not embarrassed that she didn't speak English. I doubt she ever demanded an interpreter, people just did it for her. Her husband did learn English, to get a job. He was the interpreter most of the time, I think.

I work in health care. It is not my place to demand that people learn English on the spot. That's why there are interpreters in many health care institutions, Spanish language materials, etc. Sometimes, you just have to deal with the reality of the situation.

Back to the topic, a Spanish language radio station, I feel, so what? People such as my own mother read in another language several generations ago, what's the difference?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:56 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,420,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I do not say illegals are saints are victims. What I am saying is to assign blame where it belongs. Assign blame on the politicians that are passing the laws that encourage this behavior. Assign blame to the corporations that are selling out the country just to make a buck. Assign blame to the government that has created and encourages a system based on kickbacks, "fundraisers", and mixes politics with Big Business.

Of course..it is easy to blame the illegals for ruining this country....and that is exactly what big business will have you do....keeps them focus off of them and the collosal rape of the country. Yes...blame the illegals..they are ruining everything...and big business is laughing all the way to the bank...you are busy fighting over the last egg in the fridge when big business owns the chicken and all future chicken rights! lol
You make some very valid points. I blame their own Country for them invading ours, if their Country actually gave a damn about their Citizens they would not be invading our borders, and brining misery with them.
I blame our Government, past Presidents and Current President, for not tending to this illegal problem that we have. It is getting out of control, and dangerous by the minute. You let something go, as bad as this situation is, and Bam, now it is out of control, and neither party, seems to give a damn about it.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:40 AM

320 posts, read 290,088 times
So what? Who listens to A.M nowadays anyways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I do not say illegals are saints are victims. What I am saying is to assign blame where it belongs. Assign blame on the politicians that are passing the laws that encourage this behavior. Assign blame to the corporations that are selling out the country just to make a buck. Assign blame to the government that has created and encourages a system based on kickbacks, "fundraisers", and mixes politics with Big Business.

Of course..it is easy to blame the illegals for ruining this country....and that is exactly what big business will have you do....keeps them focus off of them and the collosal rape of the country. Yes...blame the illegals..they are ruining everything...and big business is laughing all the way to the bank...you are busy fighting over the last egg in the fridge when big business owns the chicken and all future chicken rights! lol
Excellent post. I totally agree.

We can deport however many illegals we want. But until America starts pointing the finger in the right direction nothing will get done. It's crazy how politicians can completely control the minds of some people by playing towards their fears and prejudices. They can say the right things have these people eating out of their hands and then close the door and get kickbacks from their corporate buddies. While these people give them their blind support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Another sign that this area is losing its identity. This area is traditionally Irish, Italian, Polish, as well as Catholic....and personally, I like it that way. Before you know it, we won't be known for St Patricks Day and Old Forge Pizza....we'll be known for Cinco de Mayo and chimichangas.

Good Grief!
Oh the horror!

I'd imagine this is how the ancestrally English Americans felt when you Irish and Italians moved in with your crazy **** and unbelievably fattening pizza. I guess revenge is a mofo.

Last edited by Domination83; 11-02-2010 at 03:51 AM..

Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,295,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
So what? Who listens to A.M nowadays anyways?

Excellent post. I totally agree.

We can deport however many illegals we want. But until America starts pointing the finger in the right direction nothing will get done. It's crazy how politicians can completely control the minds of some people by playing towards their fears and prejudices. They can say the right things have these people eating out of their hands and then close the door and get kickbacks from their corporate buddies. While these people give them their blind support.

Oh the horror!

I'd imagine this is how the ancestrally English Americans felt when you Irish and Italians moved in with your crazy **** and unbelievably fattening pizza. I guess revenge is a mofo.
Fears and prejudices? Ok, now your true colors are coming out.

What does your last paragraph have to do with illegal immigration? To my knowledge the Italians came here legally. So it is tacos we object to and not the fact that these Mexicans are here illegally? Funny, but to my knowledge tacos are a part of Mexican-American citizens ethnic food also. Race card fail here.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:00 AM

320 posts, read 290,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Fears and prejudices? Ok, now your true colors are coming out.
I thought we established that I'm not talking about you. But you keep getting sensitive about all of my posts...... Hmmmm. Maybe you're the one showing his true colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What does your last paragraph have to do with illegal immigration? To my knowledge the Italians came here legally. So it is tacos we object to and not the fact that these Mexicans are here illegally? Funny, but to my knowledge tacos are a part of Mexican-American citizens ethnic food also. Race card fail here.
LOL. Dude get a sense of humor. It was a joke. I just find it hilarious that these people are getting all bent out of shape over an A.M radio for chrissakes. Sorry for being humorous. I keep forgetting that the internet is serious business.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:32 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,295,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
I thought we established that I'm not talking about you. But you keep getting sensitive about all of my posts...... Hmmmm. Maybe you're the one showing his true colors.

LOL. Dude get a sense of humor. It was a joke. I just find it hilarious that these people are getting all bent out of shape over an A.M radio for chrissakes. Sorry for being humorous. I keep forgetting that the internet is serious business.
The race card doesn't belong in this issue at all. There is no fear or prejudice by the majority of Americans in this issue so why bring it up at all? We law abiding Americans are getting sick of being called xenophobes, racists, haters and prejudiced over illegal immigration. It isn't about you directing your remarks at me personally. It is about how we anti-illegals are called those names by the pro-illegals all the time without any proof of it. So when you make those kinds of statements whether or not they fit us personally or not it is cause for anger.

FYI, I am not a dude but a dudette. I never said anything about AM radio. You must be talking about someone else. The topic you brought up was how Italians were discriminated against when they first came here and you were tying to apply it to the illegal aliens in our midst today. Illegal aliens are discriminated against because of their illegal status not because of their food, language or looks. This issue isn't about fears and prejudices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration