Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:59 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
So what's the big deal? New York City decades ago had pure Puerto Rican TV stations and???? San Antonio Texas has numerous Mexican/Spanish radio and TV stations, is that supposed to be bad or something?
Why don't you try reading my post again for clarity? Once again, the only reason there are so many Spanish radio and tv stations is directly due to mono-Spanish speaking illegal aliens in our country. Most Hispanic Americans whether they be from Mexican ancestry, Puerto Rican, Cuban etc. understand English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 07:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
We don't need immigrants who are simply abandoning their own countries because they lust after easy money and government handouts. We need only those immigrants who desire to be truly a part of our country, people, and culture.

When immigrants only want to live in their own little communities and go on living just like they did back home, never learning to speak English, never having to make any effort or adapt in any way, then it's best for everyone if they simply stay home, work on making home a better place.

More and more we have large numbers of immigrants who really have no desire to be part of the USA because that requires them making some kind of effort - and deep down they despise Americans and our culture and language. There are plenty of people in the world who would come here for all the right reasons so there is no point in having the wrong kind - except that they are cheap labor.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
We don't need immigrants who are simply abandoning their own countries because they lust after easy money and government handouts. We need only those immigrants who desire to be truly a part of our country, people, and culture.

When immigrants only want to live in their own little communities and go on living just like they did back home, never learning to speak English, never having to make any effort or adapt in any way, then it's best for everyone if they simply stay home, work on making home a better place.

More and more we have large numbers of immigrants who really have no desire to be part of the USA because that requires them making some kind of effort - and deep down they despise Americans and our culture and language. There are plenty of people in the world who would come here for all the right reasons so there is no point in having the wrong kind - except that they are cheap labor.
I totally agree. We are just a cash cow for these unassimilating "immigrants".

Old 11-04-2010, 08:01 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Why don't you try reading my post again for clarity? Once again, the only reason there are so many Spanish radio and tv stations is directly due to mono-Spanish speaking illegal aliens in our country. Most Hispanic Americans whether they be from Mexican ancestry, Puerto Rican, Cuban etc. understand English.
I live in San Antonio TX, don't tell me about mono-spanish or illegal aliens OK? I am dead set against illegal aliens in any way, shape or form and am not a bleeding heart for these illegals but there is something about your wording:

Quote:
the only reason there are so many Spanish radio and tv stations is directly due to mono-Spanish speaking illegal aliens in our country
Is the above your personal opinion or a study by a recognized research outfit? Do you have some references that you can post to show me that this is a fact rather than a bigoted opinion?

Old 11-04-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I live in San Antonio TX, don't tell me about mono-spanish or illegal aliens OK? I am dead set against illegal aliens in any way, shape or form and am not a bleeding heart for these illegals but there is something about your wording:

Is the above your personal opinion or a study by a recognized research outfit? Do you have some references that you can post to show me that this is a fact rather than a bigoted opinion?
How is it bigoted to point out why there is so much Spanish media these days? If they aren't trying to reach mono-Spanish speaking illegals then who are they trying to reach?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:01 AM

320 posts, read 290,290 times
Quote:
I didn't say that. However, since there are so many of them now it is apparent that they are catering to illegal aliens. Hispanic Americans understand English so why would they need so many Spanish stations?
The same reason there are other foreign language stations in this country. Many immigrants are bi-lingual and have family in their old countries. And some may need a station that reports on the news from the old country. Or maybe they enjoy listening to Spanish language music. Should these people be forced to abandon the music they grew up listening to just because they change countries? If I moved to Spain or Italy I won't abandon the music I like, and I'd enjoy hearing news in English.

And you did say that. You were defending someone who like it or not posted a xenophobic post. Crying about a foreign language station IS xenophobic and it shows how small-minded people can be. Not every Latin-American is an illegal-immigrant. And you were complaining about punishing a majority based on a minority. But in this case it helps your argument so I guess that makes it OK. Wow.

Quote:
You know I am getting tired of your false claims that there is a lot of prejudice and racism against Latinos in general. That simply isn't true and you have nothing to back that up. For the last time the objection is to illegal aliens and their supporters. It just so happens that most are Mexicans. That isn't our fault. You are taking the sentiments of a few and blowing them all out of proportion. I don't know how I can get it through your head that there is no huge numbers of prejudice against Latino Americans. The more you go on with this the more I question your actual motives.
Hate crimes against Latino's statistics have gone up sharply in recent years. Fact.

Quote:
Again with your nonsense of claiming that legal immigrants of the past are just the same as the illegal aliens here today. How do you reason that one in your head?
I said similar.

Quote:
I am not going to respond to you anymore if you don't stop repeating yourself over and over about the employers and your accusations that we don't care about what they are doing and don't stop playing the race card. You say you are anti-illegal but you sure don't sound like it.
The fact that you get bent out of shape and say WE when I mention the employers getting a free pass speaks volumes. Are you going to tell me that politicians, the media, and blogs hold the employers under the same scrutiny as illegal-immigrants? Look up every news story, blog, political ad etc. Are you going to tell me that the employers are mentioned just as much as the illegal-immigrants? If you do then you'd be a liar. That is my point.

I will say it one more time. Illegal-immigrants should be deported when caught. Period. But employers deserve the same even more scrutiny in the media, from politicians etc. It's nice and all that employers are acknowledged here. But I'm talking about the world outside of this forum. Heck this forum as well. Look at all the topic titles in this forum. 90% of them are directed at illegal-immigrants. That's what's wrong with the debate. The source of illegal-immigration gets much less scrutiny than the outcome. And that's a fact.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:18 AM

[quote=Domination83;16559425]The same reason there are other foreign language stations in this country. Many immigrants are bi-lingual and have family in their old countries. And some may need a station that reports on the news from the old country. Or maybe they enjoy listening to Spanish language music. Should these people be forced to abandon the music they grew up listening to just because they change countries? If I moved to Spain or Italy I won't abandon the music I like, and I'd enjoy hearing news in English.

If they are bi-lingual then why do they need the news in their native tongue? These stations aren't broadcasting from their homelands. They are broadcasting from here. If they want to listen to music from their home country then why not buy some CD's?

And you did say that. You were defending someone who like it or not posted a xenophobic post. Crying about a foreign language station IS xenophobic and it shows how small-minded people can be. Not every Latin-American is an illegal-immigrant. And you were complaining about punishing a majority based on a minority. But in this case it helps your argument so I guess that makes it OK. Wow.

I haven't read any xenophobic posts in here. Who is afraid of strangers in this forum? We have just about every ethnic group in this country legally already. No, objecting to foreign language stations is because they are catering to illegal aliens. Who said that every Latino in this country is an illegal. Putting words in my mouth now? Punishing a majority? Where did I do that and what do you mean by punishment?

Hate crimes against Latino's statistics have gone up sharply in recent years. Fact.

No, surpise since there are so many of them here illegally and the ethnic group is increasing in numbers. Do the math.

I said similar.

The fact that you get bent out of shape and say WE when I mention the employers getting a free pass speaks volumes. Are you going to tell me that politicians, the media, and blogs hold the employers under the same scrutiny as illegal-immigrants? Look up every news story, blog, political ad etc. Are you going to tell me that the employers are mentioned just as much as the illegal-immigrants? If you do then you'd be a liar. That is my point.

The employers aren't getting a free pass. Many of them have been jailed and/or fined when it was proven that they hired illegal aliens "knowingly". Why do you keep repeating that same lie? Yes, the honest politicians that we have do hold the employers just as responsible. Pierce who is an advocate of SB1070 also wrote and employer sanction law and that is only one example. Why are you so touchy over the illegals getting punished? As I said before, you are not what you claim to be.

I will say it one more time. Illegal-immigrants should be deported when caught. Period. But employers deserve the same even more scrutiny in the media, from politicians etc. It's nice and all that employers are acknowledged here. But I'm talking about the world outside of this forum. Heck this forum as well. Look at all the topic titles in this forum. 90% of them are directed at illegal-immigrants. That's what's wrong with the debate. The source of illegal-immigration gets much less scrutiny than the outcome. And that's a fact.

Again, you keep repeating this when most anti-illegals including those in congress do hold the employers just as responsible. There is equal blame here but you want the illegals to take less of the blame. Why is that? No one forced them over our border. They knew they had no right to take a job in this country just because it was offered to them and they knew they were taking a job from an American at a cut rate wage. No, your constant claims that we don't hold the employers equally responsible is not a fact.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,836,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
Again you do not get what I'm saying. Answer my question. Do employers get equal amount of scrutiny as illegals in the media, political ads, blogs? Answer my question because that is my point. You rarely see employers mentioned in the outlets I named and thats a fact. The rhetoric is to build hate towards Latinos and judging by your posts it works.

Then I suggest you take it up with the MEDIA rather than haranguing posters on this forum with your insults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration