Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:37 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
It doesn't matter who became a country first.
Yes it does matter, son. You see, what you wrote was "Mexicans." By definition, a Mexican is a person from Mexico. Therefore, no Mexico, no Mexicans.

Your words: This country was actually inhabited by Mexicans...

And I'm still waiting for evidence that Mexicans inhabited PA before the US became a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
"Northeastern Pa. gets first all-Hispanic radio station "

That's nothing. Wait until the nearly the entire AM band and most of the FM band is in Spanish.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:56 AM

635 posts, read 1,746,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
That's nothing. Wait until the nearly the entire AM band and most of the FM band is in Spanish.
That's California's job! Viva Mexifornia!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:28 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
American citizens may be as up in arms as you claim...but until the POLITICIANS Americans elect WANT to tackle this issue in ernest...until the CORPORATIONS stop trying to make every dollar they can even if it means selling the country out....until BUSINESSES big and small stop undercutting Americans by hiring illegals and encouraging their illegal entry (and helping them), none of this will change..

So assign blame where it belongs...the MONEY is the driving force of what you see today...the BUSINESSES want illegals so they encourage their entry...they can pay them nothing..no benefits...no rights...and no jobs for you. The illegals are a sympton of the problem...so while you are "upset" with their attitude...and frustrated that THEY are the spoilers..the REALITY is that the CORPORATIONS and the GOVERNMENT are the spoilers...illegals are just tools to get the job done and rape the country further.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:16 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
American citizens may be as up in arms as you claim...but until the POLITICIANS Americans elect WANT to tackle this issue in ernest...until the CORPORATIONS stop trying to make every dollar they can even if it means selling the country out....until BUSINESSES big and small stop undercutting Americans by hiring illegals and encouraging their illegal entry (and helping them), none of this will change..

So assign blame where it belongs...the MONEY is the driving force of what you see today...the BUSINESSES want illegals so they encourage their entry...they can pay them nothing..no benefits...no rights...and no jobs for you. The illegals are a sympton of the problem...so while you are "upset" with their attitude...and frustrated that THEY are the spoilers..the REALITY is that the CORPORATIONS and the GOVERNMENT are the spoilers...illegals are just tools to get the job done and rape the country further.
We KNOW all that - we're just saying that We The People are FINALLY forcing the issue - how do you think we shot down the Shamnesty plan twice? It would have gone through without all our calls, faxes, letters, e-mails, etc. The American people are speaking up! And, us being "up in arms" is powerful, my friend!

The stupid politicians by doing what they do have awakened a Sleeping Giant.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:26 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
I am glad you realize this...so why spout about illegals playing "spoilers" to this country, or coming in with attitude....this only serves to shift the blame from the Corporations and the Government...which is exactly what they want. Blame the illegals for ruining the country...illegals are evil....blah blah blah....while the corporations are filling their coffers with monumental profits, outsourcing, and hiring illegals...leaving Americans with NOTHING.

Assign blame where it belongs...the illegals are just a ploy to shift the blame and keep the corporations fat!

Old 11-10-2007, 06:43 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
"Northeastern Pa. gets first all-Hispanic radio station "

Hehe, like San Antonio. We've got so many Tejano stations in DFW now too; the thing is, I like some Spanish music....just not Tejano. How many pure Tejano stations does a city REALLY need?

Old 11-10-2007, 07:39 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
and what pray tell does any of this have to do with a radio station broadcasting in Spanish beyond the xenephobic comments that your "culture" is being invaded? Growing up in Miami I heard the same BS by mostly racist Anglos and their outright bigotry but hey like some have posted the Italians,Polish and other non English speaking immigrants from Europe were treated the same. In case you are not aware the vast majority of the Western Hemisphere speaks Spanish and for those that say we disrespect America by speaking another language is just downright ignorant. Why are there no complaints about Asian immigrants & their "Chinatowns" and signage? I can understand the issues with illegals but realize the vast majority of we "hispanics" do speak English and Spanish isn't even spoken by successive generations.
One huge difference here:

100 years ago when the so-called 'undesirable' minorities AKA Anglos today came here; it was sink or swim------and, too it was quite the PITA to return back to Ireland, Italy, Austria-Hungary, etc. so there was lots of incentive to assimilate and become American.

Side note here: we sealed the borders in 1920 so 'fresh blood' from the old countries was effectively shut off except for either political refugees and/or people (like my father) with sponsors.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Honestly, there would be no need for a Spanish language radio station and signs in Spanish, etc, if the Hispanics would just learn to speak ENGLISH....just like past generations of immigrants from Italy, Germany, Russia, etc. Those people came here and were proud to learn the language and assimilate. The Hispanics expect US to learn their language, and I'm sick of it. I have no problem with Hispanics coming here, as long as they are legal and plan to learn our language. I'm not learning Spanish because of their laziness.
I have not read through this entire thread, so perhaps I am being redundant to my response to this. It was not as idealistic in the past as you might think. Yes, assimilation was more of a value, but, in their own families, people kept their own languages and customs. My hometown is full of people who did not speak English until they went to school, even though they were born here. (These people are quite elderly now.) There are members of my family that did not speak English at home. The church I attend had services in Swedish until the 1960s. There were many foreign language newspapers in the US, the rough equivalent of a radio station today. People learned English because they had to, to communicate with immigrants from other countries.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:05 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I have not read through this entire thread, so perhaps I am being redundant to my response to this. It was not as idealistic in the past as you might think. Yes, assimilation was more of a value, but, in their own families, people kept their own languages and customs. My hometown is full of people who did not speak English until they went to school, even though they were born here. (These people are quite elderly now.) There are members of my family that did not speak English at home. The church I attend had services in Swedish until the 1960s. There were many foreign language newspapers in the US, the rough equivalent of a radio station today. People learned English because they had to, to communicate with immigrants from other countries.
No reasonable person; even a hardcore anti illegal immigration hater, has a problem with what you depicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration