U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:48 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,052,585 times

Advertisements

The U.S. Senate voted on Tuesday to block funding for a Bush administration test program to let Mexican long-haul trucks (broken link)operate in the United States under 1994's North American Free Trade Agreement.

I watched the debates and there was overwhelming support to block letting these trucks run our highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 12:12 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,319 times
This is good news. Now if it can only pass both houses with a veto proof majority.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:41 AM

I really believe it has NO chance of passing. One of the requirements is that they have records of the drivers and their trucks. Mexico keeps no records.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 PM

592 posts, read 2,531,386 times
This is the best news I've heard all day, thanks citigirl. I was too busy trucking to keep track of what was going on, I didn't even realize there was a move in the Senate to block it and hopefully keep mexican trucks where they belong.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
This is the best news I've heard all day, thanks citigirl. I was too busy trucking to keep track of what was going on, I didn't even realize there was a move in the Senate to block it and hopefully keep mexican trucks where they belong.
The vote was overwhelming in blocking this. On a second vote there was even more support to block it! Are they starting to listen to the American citizens?

Old 09-12-2007, 04:12 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,686,045 times
Hooray! I might be pro-immigration, but this program stinks.

I would like to see some way of making commerce more efficient rather than unloading/reloading a bunch of semis 25 miles from the border. However, letting companies hire lower-paid, over-worked, under-regulated Mexican drivers to haul loads all over the country in aging, polluting, poorly-maintained rigs was a terrible idea.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:32 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,376,282 times
Someone told me that letting the trucks in was a provision of NAFTA. Does anyone know if that is true?
Thanks...fox

Old 09-12-2007, 05:50 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Someone told me that letting the trucks in was a provision of NAFTA. Does anyone know if that is true?
Thanks...fox
Yes, it is a provision of NAFTA - and, it is/was reciprocal. American trucks traveling throughout Mexico.

I support this measure by the Congress. However, I question how, legally, after the Congress ratified NAFTA, which included this provision, they can cut out a singular part.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yes, it is a provision of NAFTA - and, it is/was reciprocal. American trucks traveling throughout Mexico.

I support this measure by the Congress. However, I question how, legally, after the Congress ratified NAFTA, which included this provision, they can cut out a singular part.
Congress can cut out this provision because part of that provision is that Mexico must provide safety records of the trucks and the drivers. Mexico keeps no records and has none to show for any truck or driver. Let's hope Mexico remains incompetent and never provides them.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:25 PM

483 posts, read 1,746,341 times
I question how, legally, after the Congress ratified NAFTA, which included this provision, they can cut out a singular part.

If congress ratified NAFTA, they shouldn't pick and choose which parts they want to stick to. If canadian trucks can cross the border freely, Mexican trucks should be able to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or