U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 10:03 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,036,865 times

Advertisements

Senate votes to ban Mexican trucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,137,914 times
Big businesses (aka our government) goal with allowing Mexican truckers in the US is to have foreign goods delivered to ports in Mexico then have them trucked to the US with Mexican truckers. By having the load originate in Mexico the truckers are paid much less than if the load originated in the US. Also the port costs in Mexico are much less than US ports.

This will be devastating to the economy of CA.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Let's just hope this doesn't come back to bite us later.

It's called competition people and our neighbors to the south have much better rates. Unions see to it, that unskilled workers are overpaid.

If you stop competition here in the US, it will just shift there.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:06 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post

It's called competition people and our neighbors to the south have much better rates.

If you stop competition here in the US, it will just Shift (broken link) there.
Well if we could trust them,,,,,,,lol it would be different, but we cant.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:57 PM

1,562 posts, read 3,832,113 times
For once the senate actually does something the people want, that's I think the 2nd time this year.. we are on a roll! woo!!

Actually statistically, in texas where there are a lot of mexican trucks (since they can go 100 miles into US as it is), the unsaftey rate is about the same, with US trucks around 23% and mexican trucks being around 21%. I think a regulation of immigrant truckers would be good. We are going to have a massive shortage of truckers in the next few decades, and this could be a good way to fill the massive demand.

Also there should be regulation banning hauling a trailer for more than 300 miles. After that, they should be forced to use trains. It's SIGNIFICANTLY more energy efficient and cheaper.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,690,078 times
Quote:

It's called competition people and our neighbors to the south have much better rates. Unions see to it, that unskilled workers are overpaid.

I think America will adjust.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:06 PM

252 posts, read 1,015,624 times
Quote:

I think I'd take my chances..

US already has one of the highest labor costs and yet still one of the most productive.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:36 AM

18,696 posts, read 35,420,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
For once the senate actually does something the people want, that's I think the 2nd time this year.. we are on a roll! woo!!

Actually statistically, in texas where there are a lot of mexican trucks (since they can go 100 miles into US as it is), the unsaftey rate is about the same, with US trucks around 23% and mexican trucks being around 21%. I think a regulation of immigrant truckers would be good. We are going to have a massive shortage of truckers in the next few decades, and this could be a good way to fill the massive demand.

Also there should be regulation banning hauling a trailer for more than 300 miles. After that, they should be forced to use trains. It's SIGNIFICANTLY more energy efficient and cheaper.
Right now, the staging area for Mexico trucks is about 20 miles into the US. That's all the farther they can go.

There's more to it then the safety of the rig. Let's talk safety of the driver. In the US we have set hours we can drive, set days, and they we are forced to rest. In Mexico they can drive 24/7 if they want. So you may have a driver run for 28 hours straight and then cross the border and as he does, he starts his log book at zero.

As for as hauling for the railroad, that's what are trucks are doing. Every notice the DOT permit on the side? That permit is from the Railroad allowing them to haul. Back in teh 1800's the railroad wanted some gaurantees before they soaked all that money in on railroad building. So the DOT was formed and a trucker must buy a permit to haul from the railroad. Yeah, the money goes to the railroad.

The Mexican trucks do not have to be DOT permitted. No fees. No money paid on building our roads. Gas tax does that, right? Well, a trucker doesn't have to pay gas tax. He can hold out for the quarter and then pay for miles driven in each state. Kind of like a quarterly income tax. Do you really think the Mexican drivers are going to pay quarterly from across the border? We have no control over that.

And lastely, how many of these trucks are going to come over with team (2) drivers and go back with only 1?

Old 09-14-2007, 12:53 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,441 times
Quote:

We don't need unsafe trucks on our roads with god knows who and what in them. We don't need that kind of "competition" my friend.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:50 PM

1,562 posts, read 3,832,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Right now, the staging area for Mexico trucks is about 20 miles into the US. That's all the farther they can go.

There's more to it then the safety of the rig. Let's talk safety of the driver. In the US we have set hours we can drive, set days, and they we are forced to rest. In Mexico they can drive 24/7 if they want. So you may have a driver run for 28 hours straight and then cross the border and as he does, he starts his log book at zero.

As for as hauling for the railroad, that's what are trucks are doing. Every notice the DOT permit on the side? That permit is from the Railroad allowing them to haul. Back in teh 1800's the railroad wanted some gaurantees before they soaked all that money in on railroad building. So the DOT was formed and a trucker must buy a permit to haul from the railroad. Yeah, the money goes to the railroad.

The Mexican trucks do not have to be DOT permitted. No fees. No money paid on building our roads. Gas tax does that, right? Well, a trucker doesn't have to pay gas tax. He can hold out for the quarter and then pay for miles driven in each state. Kind of like a quarterly income tax. Do you really think the Mexican drivers are going to pay quarterly from across the border? We have no control over that.

And lastely, how many of these trucks are going to come over with team (2) drivers and go back with only 1?
Firstly, I would like to mention I'm against them coming in because i'm slightly protectionist. However there are multiple things in this...

1) The US will be short of truckers. Force mexico to accept the same trucking laws in the US regarding sleeping and whatnot, if they don't comply then say "Sorry, none of your trucks allowed!". They have really been pushing this for 10 years and just took effect.

2) Trains don't have enough trackage in condition to haul enough trucks. UP was having issues a few years ago where they had a total breakdown of the system because of too many trains and too little track to operate safely.

I suggest making a 300 mile limit on truck travel distance. If you wanna go from LA to NYC, it has to be by train. Wanna go from mexico to canada? Must be by train. Wanna go from Kansas to NC? Take a train.

It would eliminate the excessive damage done by long haul trucks on the interestate system and would virtually elminate the need for tolls on truckst that just pass through the state. I know I-80 in PA is virtually just NYC truck traffic, and thats why PA plans on tolling that sucker up.

3) By forcing trucks onto trains there wouldn't be this need for mexican truckers in the future, would improve air quality,

*by putting trucks on trains i'm talking about intermodal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration