Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm just going on my experiences with border guards on the Canada/USA border so we maybe comparing apples and oranges here but i'm asked everytime where i live, whats my nationality, and where you going, failure to comply with any questions will result in being denied entry.
Your video doesnt show much other than border agent checkpoints down south are kinda lax, no wonder you have so many illegals entering the country..
A U.S. citizen cannot be denied entry when they properly return to the United States (they can be detained on re-entry, but not denied). Again, YOu are confusing a Port of Entry with a Border Patrol checkpoint. The Border Patrol checkpoints can be lax depending on how YOu appear; Our last time, with a U.S. license plate, we were asked for documentation, while the vehicle ahead of us with Canadian plates, carrying Vietnamese and Canadian Nationals, was more quickly allowed to pass.

The videos are not mine, but are done by Terry Bressi in Arizona, definitely worth watching for YOu, to learn how YOu can combat officers exceeding their authority...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 04:47 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
A U.S. citizen cannot be denied entry when they properly return to the United States (they can be detained on re-entry, but not denied). Again, YOu are confusing a Port of Entry with a Border Patrol checkpoint. The Border Patrol checkpoints can be lax depending on how YOu appear; Our last time, with a U.S. license plate, we were asked for documentation, while the vehicle ahead of us with Canadian plates, carrying Vietnamese and Canadian Nationals, was more quickly allowed to pass.

The videos are not mine, but are done by Terry Bressi in Arizona, definitely worth watching for YOu, to learn how YOu can combat officers exceeding their authority...
Do you look suspicious or something? Which one were you at? Usually a truck camper or the like gets you flagged every time.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:06 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,342 times
Terri Bresssi? Referring to the civil rights case on an Indian Reservation where he was held for hours along side the highway by reservation police? A bit different than BP stopping you. BP was present at Bressi's stop(s), but they weren't the ones holding him, BP was present just not the detaining officers. Every time he has been cited it has been by TOPD.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Terri Bresssi? Referring to the civil rights case on an Indian Reservation where he was held for hours along side the highway by reservation police? A bit different than BP stopping you. BP was present at Bressi's stop(s), but they weren't the ones holding him, BP was present just not the detaining officers. Every time he has been cited it has been by TOPD.
Bressi has had more than one stop by the Border Patrol, at a "temporary" checkpoint. The occasion that YOu might be thinking of is the Border Patrol detaining him, then the tribal police citing him for "obstructing traffic" (!) once he was allowed to continue driving. YOu are also aware that he won the case?

Watch it on YOuTube, the prosecution and witnesses are a laugh a minute: The Border Patrol agent identifies it was his dog that "told" him to make the stop. From there he fails to say how a dog can determine lack of U.S. citizenship.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Bressi has had more than one stop by the Border Patrol, at a "temporary" checkpoint. The occasion that YOu might be thinking of is the Border Patrol detaining him, then the tribal police citing him for "obstructing traffic" (!) once he was allowed to continue driving. YOu are also aware that he won the case?

Watch it on YOuTube, the prosecution and witnesses are a laugh a minute: The Border Patrol agent identifies it was his dog that "told" him to make the stop. From there he fails to say how a dog can determine lack of U.S. citizenship.
He was stopped at a BP checkpoint and after a couple questions was allowed to go, then TOPD pulled him over for obstructing traffic after Bressi continuously questioned the BP Officer if he was allowed to leave. BP has never held/arrested him or seized him (the checkpoint merely temporarily and lawfully detained him), it has always been TOPD, while BP may have been present, at the locations citing him and holding him, even Bressi admits that. The judge dropped the "impeding traffic violation". He won his civil rights case against the TOPD from '02.

My point is you bringing Bressi into this argument as some sort of BP issue is incorrect as BP has nothing to do with anything Bressi has attempted to do, all his citations have been from TOPD and fall under state laws.

Here is good link to the Regulations BP agents have: http://www.usborderpatrol.com/Border_Patrol608.htm

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 03-27-2012 at 07:25 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
He was stopped at a BP checkpoint and after a couple questions was allowed to go, then TOPD pulled him over for obstructing traffic after Bressi continuously questioning if he was allowed to leave. BP has never held/arrested him or seized him (the checkpoint merely temporarily and lawfully detained him), it has always been TOPD, while BP may have been present, at the locations citing him and holding him, even Bressi admits that. The judge dropped the "impeding traffic violation". He won his civil rights case against the TOPD from '02.

My point is you bringing Bressi into this argument as some sort of BP issue is incorrect as BP has nothing to do with anything Bressi has attempted to do, all his citations have been from TOPD and fall under state laws...
Whether Terry has been cited by tribal police or not, his focus is on Border Patrol checkpoints, usually at their "temporary" location close to his work. If that is all YOu've gained from looking over his videos, there is quite a bit more material there for YOu. I am more reassured by the documentation he has done to know what my rights are.

I don't have any problem with the Border Patrol doing their job (a hard one at that) when done correctly. But there are a few "checkpoints" I have of my own:

They need to immediately identify themselves, and the agency they work for...

It isn't a matter of 20 questions on areas unrelated to determining citizenship (internally known as "shotgunning", where they are looking for probable cause to search)...

Without being focused excessively on a particular profile...

Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Whether Terry has been cited by tribal police or not, his focus is on Border Patrol checkpoints, usually at their "temporary" location close to his work. If that is all YOu've gained from looking over his videos, there is quite a bit more material there for YOu. I am more reassured by the documentation he has done to know what my rights are.

I don't have any problem with the Border Patrol doing their job (a hard one at that) when done correctly. But there are a few "checkpoints" I have of my own:

They need to immediately identify themselves, and the agency they work for...

It isn't a matter of 20 questions on areas unrelated to determining citizenship (internally known as "shotgunning", where they are looking for probable cause to search)...

Without being focused excessively on a particular profile...
His documentation is nothing more then re-iterating already established law. In regards to BP, nothing he has documented really effects them. What you should have noted from his many "videos" is that local PD are the ones conducting the "temp checkpoints" for which state law allows and the driver needs to identify himself as per state requirements. BP is only there if the PD comes across a situation in which the person can not identify with a DL, for which BP then can detain and arrest if determined to be here in violation of immigration law. BP does not have to identify themselves nor the agency they work for, only or unless the detaining/arresting officer is BP, same goes for local PD. If BP is on site but are not questioning the driver, they have no legal obligation to present themselves or there reasons for being on site.

Again, you are attempting to turn Bessi into some sort of BP superhero for which he is not. His attempts at showing you what your "rights" are are nothing more than failed attempts at attempting to prove that BP is implementing illegal checkpoints. I suggest reading pages 13 and 14 of the link I provided.
Quote:
(b) Interrogation and detention not amounting to arrest.
(1) Interrogation is questioning designed to elicit specific information. An immigration officer, like any other person, has the right to ask questions of anyone as long as the immigration officer does not restrain the freedom of an individual, not under arrest, to walk away.
(2) If the immigration officer has a reasonable suspicion, based on specific articulable facts, that the person being questioned is, or is attempting to be, engaged in an offense against the United States or is an alien illegally in the United States, the immigration officer may briefly detain the person for questioning.
(3) Information obtained from this questioning may provide the basis for a subsequent arrest, which must be effected only by a designated immigration officer, as listed in § 287.5(c). The conduct of arrests is specified in paragraph (c) of this section.
(c) Conduct of arrests.
(1) Authority. Only designated immigration officers are authorized to make an arrest. The list of designated immigration officers varies depending on the type of arrest as listed in § 287.5(c)(1) through (c)(5).
(2) General procedures.
(i) An arrest shall be made only when the designated immigration officer has reason to believe that the person to be arrested has committed an offense against the United States or is an alien illegally in the United States.
(ii) A warrant of arrest shall be obtained whenever possible prior to the arrest.
(iii) At the time of the arrest, the designated immigration officer shall, as soon as it is practical and safe to do so:
(A) Identity himself or herself as an immigration officer who is authorized to execute an arrest– and
(B) State that the person is under arrest and the reason for the arrest.
(iv) With respect to an alien arrested and administratively charged with being in the United States in violation of law, the arresting officer shall adhere to the procedures set forth in § 287.3 if the arrest is made without a warrant, and to the procedures set forth in § 242.2(c)(2) of this chapter if the arrest is made with a warrant.
(v) With respect to a person arrested and charged with a criminal violation of the laws of the United States, the arresting officer shall advise the person of the appropriate rights as required by law at the time of the arrest, or as soon thereafter as practicable. It is the duty of the immigration officer to assure that the warnings are given in a language the subject understands, and that the subject acknowledges that the warnings are understood. The fact that a person has been advised of his or her rights shall be documented on appropriate Service forms and made a part of the arrest record.
If you wish to fully understand your rights when pulled over by local PD, check your individual state laws. If BP stops you within the 100 mile boundary, simply show your DL or passport, answer any questions they may ask of you, and you are on your way.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 03-27-2012 at 08:23 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
the limitations of the border patrol should be, if they tell you to stop, and you dont, then they should be allowed to shoot with force to get you toor others to stop.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
...answer any questions they may ask of you, and you are on your way.
"What is YOur street address?"

"Do YOu own any guns?"

"When was the last time and occasion that YOu were untruthful at YOur employment?"

"Have YOu ever been unfaithful to someone YOu have been in a relationship with?"

Remember it is an offense to lie to a Federal officer...

Old 03-27-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
"What is YOur street address?"

"Do YOu own any guns?"

"When was the last time and occasion that YOu were untruthful at YOur employment?"

"Have YOu ever been unfaithful to someone YOu have been in a relationship with?"

Remember it is an offense to lie to a Federal officer...
You never seas to amaze

The questions they ask are in regards to status - legal/citizen etc., the likeliness of becoming as personal as you are attempting to portray is practically nil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration