Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times

Advertisements

Sen. Marco Rubio (R., Fla.) is developing a scaled-back version of the Dream Act, which would allow people brought to the U.S. as children to gain legal status, but not citizenship, if they enroll in college or the military. Several Senate Republicans have signed on to bipartisan legislation aimed at broadening access to the legal immigrant visa system.

GOP Tries to Woo Hispanics - WSJ.com

And the pandering continues from both parties. First off, these kids would be taking seats in our colleges and reduced tuition that should be designated to our own kids. Second, with the job shortages we have they would be competing for jobs against American kids. Third, joining the military is going to look mighty good to our own kids as a source of education and income. From what I am hearing there is a waiting list to enlist these days. Even our own returning soldiers from Iraq can't find a job these days. And finally, the worse part is that there would be a push to allow their parents to remain here aka separation of families boo-hooing. How many illegal aliens would be allowed to remain here under this scenario?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 10:41 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...Third, joining the military is going to look mighty good to our own kids as a source of education and income. From what I am hearing there is a waiting list to enlist these days...
Actually the military is in a "right-sizing" operation these days, that's what happens when wars are ending...

Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Actually the military is in a "right-sizing" operation these days, that's what happens when wars are ending...
I assume that by "right-sizing" you mean they are cutting back on new enlistees? I posted a link awhile back whereby Obama is planning on cutting a large amount of funds from defense also. Why would we need Dreamies in our military then?

Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
College as an option is a joke.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
College as an option is a joke.
Yes, from what I understand these Dreamies wouldn't even have to earn a degreee. A couple of years in Jr. College would suffice.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 PM

154 posts, read 454,544 times
Quote:
Sen. Marco Rubio (R., Fla.) is developing a scaled-back version of the Dream Act, which would allow people brought to the U.S. as children to gain legal status, but not citizenship, if they enroll in college or the military. Several Senate Republicans have signed on to bipartisan legislation aimed at broadening access to the legal immigrant visa system.

GOP Tries to Woo Hispanics - WSJ.com

And the pandering continues from both parties. First off, these kids would be taking seats in our colleges and reduced tuition that should be designated to our own kids. Second, with the job shortages we have they would be competing for jobs against American kids. Third, joining the military is going to look mighty good to our own kids as a source of education and income. From what I am hearing there is a waiting list to enlist these days. Even our own returning soldiers from Iraq can't find a job these days. And finally, the worse part is that there would be a push to allow their parents to remain here aka separation of families boo-hooing. How many illegal aliens would be allowed to remain here under this scenario?
whats the big deal. dont you think is better to have them taking a seat at college, turning into good assets for america, than have them sitting in a cell. it actually cost less to send them to college than prison.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedstatian View Post
whats the big deal. dont you think is better to have them taking a seat at college, turning into good assets for america, than have them sitting in a cell. it actually cost less to send them to college than prison.
No, what they need to do is go back to their homelands and attend the colleges there and be an asset to their own countries. We have no shortage of aspiring young Americans who want to go to college or join our military. The difference is that they belong here. Dreamies do not.

I noticed that you didn't address one point that I made in my post as to why they need to do the above rather than remain here.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
No, what they need to do is go back to their homelands and attend the colleges there and be an asset to their own countries. We have no shortage of aspiring young Americans who want to go to college or join our military. The difference is that they belong here. Dreamies do not.

I noticed that you didn't address one point that I made in my post as to why they need to do the above rather than remain here.

It seems to me that you live in a fantasy world. You are dealing with humans, who will do anything they can to fulfill their
dream and aspiration whatever those might be, Regardless of laws. Just imagine if we were living in your fantasy world. America wouldn't exist, as we know it now. We would be still paying taxes to England. There would still be slaves. During Hitler's regime it was lawful to exterminate the Jews, but according to your logic, Jews were criminals (breaking the law) just for trying to survive. Wanted or not illegal immigration is needed here. Otherwise they wouldn't be here we have the power, to get them out. You pretend to care a lot about you fellow Americans, but what have you done. Have you hire anyone. Do you share your income with unemployed Americans. I forgot, you want the company owner, big medium and small, and big corporation to make a sacrifice, to cut their earnings and share it. You are not helping by sharing your diatribe through this means. An illegal immigrant does more for America by cutting the grass, than all the time you spend writting you empty words.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedstatian View Post
Its cheaper to send them back to their originating nations.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Its cheaper to send them back to their originating nations.

You are wrong, its not cheaper. It is more expensive and a lot less efficient. Lots of companies would have to close or move overseas. Because it would be almost impossible to hire people to work for them legal aliens , for the same wage. And at the same time be competitive, by offering a good product. They would probably have to cut on the quality of the material being use just to be able to make a profit. They would have to do that if they want to hire legal aliens. You have to get used to the fact that illegal will be here fore a while, that what ever you think about the subject decisions had been made and it doesn't matter what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration