Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Don't you think we were driven by the same frustration? I'm contrasting the examples I know of, to counter claims that spouses (whether legal or illegal immigrants) are purely driven to get U.S. citizenship. Sure, I've heard of a few cases that I know are motivated by fraud, but the majority are just trying to be together.

This case in particular is an example of those good intentions, any motivation of a quick grab at citizenship would have been evident much earlier...

I don't think the best interests of the United States are served to make a Marine chose between his country or his spouse. There might be that critical occasion where he is needed, and is not there. These are all case where couples are trying to do things the right way, and making a simple mistake or not having the support that should be there for them.
A simple mistake? I wouldn't call an American citizen marrying an ilegal alien a simple mistake. Using one's military service to avoid enforcement of our immigration laws is not acceptable either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
I can't remember much of the specifics at this point. The wife that misrepresented herself was in Mexico, I think at least one of the two couples I was aware of had married there, and were going through a regular I-130 application (it was similar to our case, which is why it seemed more relevant to me at the time). Purely a case of the wife being frustrated, and trying to enter without telling her husband.

I certainly wouldn't say anything about a Marine (or their wife), but maybe that is just from more familiarity with them...

Semper Fi...
IF that Marine was lied to by his illegal alien wife; he needed to cut her loose for fraud. I've a lot of respect for our military but; it doesn't cover any soldier, sailor, and so on if they commit crimes.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
IF that Marine was lied to by his illegal alien wife; he needed to cut her loose for fraud. I've a lot of respect for our military but; it doesn't cover any soldier, sailor, and so on if they commit crimes.
As a VET I support those who serve. The Military has Jag officers available to assist in any paper work involved. The fact of the matter is the Marine needed to request permission to get married. Furthermore when applying for benefits he needed to demonstrate her eligibility. Birth certificate, SSN etc.
Seems to me someone did a whole lot of lying.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:16 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
I don't think the best interests of the United States are served to make a Marine chose between his country or his spouse. There might be that critical occasion where he is needed, and is not there. These are all case where couples are trying to do things the right way, and making a simple mistake or not having the support that should be there for them.
Once someone joins a branch of service, the government owns you. You turn yourself over to them and your purpose is to dedicate yourself to serve the interests of the US. Country comes first, everything else is secondary.

The need of every American military personal and their spouse, male or female, is the same.

Marrying someone who is illegal, is not a "simple" mistake. If someone in the military is married to someone who is illegal, they should understand that the rules that apply to Americans marrried to Americans/legal residents, don't necessarily apply to their illegal spouse by virtue of the fact that the serve in the military.

Maybe his past offenses would have been excused if he volunteered to join a branch of military. If you want to be in the US bad enough, that's a quick path to citizenship.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:34 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
...Furthermore when applying for benefits he needed to demonstrate her eligibility. Birth certificate, SSN etc.
Seems to me someone did a whole lot of lying.
I think "tinman01" has me blocked, but this information is wrong. Personnel Departments in the military are actually the best at handling foreign national spouses of servicemembers, they do it all the time. My family was listed as my dependents long before they entered the United States (an irony that they could have a military dependents' ID card to get in many U.S. bases in the United States and around the world, but it would not allow them to cross into the U.S.). They assign a unique identification number to each dependent, which is replaced with the Social Security number once they have one.

Think about it, a military spouse may not have been in the United States to be eligible for an SSN...

Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Once someone joins a branch of service, the government owns you. You turn yourself over to them and your purpose is to dedicate yourself to serve the interests of the US. Country comes first, everything else is secondary.

The need of every American military personal and their spouse, male or female, is the same.

Marrying someone who is illegal, is not a "simple" mistake. If someone in the military is married to someone who is illegal, they should understand that the rules that apply to Americans marrried to Americans/legal residents, don't necessarily apply to their illegal spouse by virtue of the fact that the serve in the military.

Maybe his past offenses would have been excused if he volunteered to join a branch of military. If you want to be in the US bad enough, that's a quick path to citizenship.
Wholly wrong. The requirement to join the U.S. military is that you must at least be a Legal Permanent Resident. I've had an entire career within two branches of the military.

The "simple mistake" I alluded to before was that the Marine and his wife were all lined up for immigrating legally. He was in the United States with his unit, getting ready to deploy. She was in Mexico, and being frustrated at the length of time, decided to misrepresent herself going through a Port of Entry (she did not tell him prior to the attempt).

She was young, and not thinking clearly, now she has a lifetime ban from the United States. The Marine had to chose between his country (and service to that country) or his wife. I do not know which one that he selected.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Wholly wrong. The requirement to join the U.S. military is that you must at least be a Legal Permanent Resident. I've had an entire career within two branches of the military.

The "simple mistake" I alluded to before was that the Marine and his wife were all lined up for immigrating legally. He was in the United States with his unit, getting ready to deploy. She was in Mexico, and being frustrated at the length of time, decided to misrepresent herself going through a Port of Entry (she did not tell him prior to the attempt).

She was young, and not thinking clearly, now she has a lifetime ban from the United States. The Marine had to chose between his country (and service to that country) or his wife. I do not know which one that he selected.
Why would he have to choose between his country and his wife? He could have served his stint in the military and joined his wife in Mexico aferwards.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Why would he have to choose between his country and his wife? He could have served his stint in the military and joined his wife in Mexico aferwards.
If she was frustrated within a matter of months, I don't think she would have been happy with a prospect of waiting years to be together...

Old 04-10-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
If she was frustrated within a matter of months, I don't think she would have been happy with a prospect of waiting years to be together...
Oh well, she screwed up, didn't she?

Old 04-10-2012, 05:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Don't you think we were driven by the same frustration? I'm contrasting the examples I know of, to counter claims that spouses (whether legal or illegal immigrants) are purely driven to get U.S. citizenship. Sure, I've heard of a few cases that I know are motivated by fraud, but the majority are just trying to be together.

This case in particular is an example of those good intentions, any motivation of a quick grab at citizenship would have been evident much earlier...

Geez. There are many in the military stationed in countries where the spouse cannot go and so the spouses are separated and in different countries. Afghanistan for example -- how many military there have spouses that cannot be with them?

Mexico is completely different, there is no excuse as the American citizen can easily cross the border to visit the spouse. The separation required is much less than military stationed overseas face.

I would guess that's just another example of a certain nationality person believing that she is not required to follow the laws of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration