U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,581,657 times

Advertisements

TOP STORY: ICE provides quality medical care to detainees

I was at work and this was one of the headlines at my workstation. I found it very insulting and a slap-in-the-face to know that our own government is proud of and tauting the "quality" medical care that they give to illegal immigrants waiting to be deported. I immediately thought about the legal residents here that can't even afford medical treatment or dental care. I normally don't get to "disgusted" over many of the things we read about illegal immigration but I felt really disrespected as an American and a working tax-payer that the headline was written as it was to convey that our government was bragging about the care they give to illegal immigrants. It just baffles me that when you come into the country illegally you can be sure that you will get medical and dental care. I know that we have our emergency-care law, but if you read the article, it is way more than emergency care.

Quote:
"A detainee's health care begins the moment they walk through the facility's doors," said Dr. Krohmer. "Within the first 12 hours of their admission, all detainees undergo a preliminary health screening, which includes an evaluation of the individual's medical, dental and mental health status and within the next 14 days, a more detailed physical examination takes place."
Doesn't it sound like some kind of spa or resort that is being advertised? I can see the commercial for this now: pearly doors open as a light shines and the doctor stands with open arms and welcomes you in for great, quality care.

Oh, who pays for this?

Quote:
"We're finding out about health issues that even they didn't even know about and in most cases are able to begin treatment," he said.
The doctors are finding things for them and treating them. So, not only are they treating obvious problems, but finding things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post

I was at work and this was one of the headlines at my workstation. I found it very insulting and a slap-in-the-face to know that our own government is proud of and tauting the "quality" medical care that they give to illegal immigrants waiting to be deported. I immediately thought about the legal residents here that can't even afford medical treatment or dental care. I normally don't get to "disgusted" over many of the things we read about illegal immigration but I felt really disrespected as an American and a working tax-payer that the headline was written as it was to convey that our government was bragging about the care they give to illegal immigrants. It just baffles me that when you come into the country illegally you can be sure that you will get medical and dental care. I know that we have our emergency-care law, but if you read the article, it is way more than emergency care.

Doesn't it sound like some kind of spa or resort that is being advertised? I can see the commercial for this now: pearly doors open as a light shines and the doctor stands with open arms and welcomes you in for great, quality care.

Oh, who pays for this?

The doctors are finding things for them and treating them. So, not only are they treating obvious problems, but finding things.
I'm pissed too.

Illegal aliens: patch them up then deport them. None of this high dollar long term stuff.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post

Oh, who pays for this?

Let me tell you a story. I know of a married elderly woman who is in a nursing home right now with a broken hip. She and her husband are only $400 above the income level to qualify for Medi-cal and Medicare only covers 20 days of her stay there. They don't own any property and have hardly any assets and her husband can't care for her at home because he isn't well either. They don't know what to do. The nursing home just wants to shove her out the door after the 20 days are up. There is no help for them and they are citizens of this country yet we have all kinds of tax dollars that we waste on illegal aliens and provide medical care for.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,845,522 times
If this ticks you off (and it should) you should see the medical and dental care provided to criminals in our jails. It includes both citizen criminals and illegal. Our tax dollars at work. I know this first hand. I worked at a maximum security jail in a southern California county for the first years of my career.
More than once an inmate told me he turned himself in on a warrant he knew he had so he could get a free root canal or some other medical procedure.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,581,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
If this ticks you off (and it should) you should see the medical and dental care provided to criminals in our jails. It includes both citizen criminals and illegal. Our tax dollars at work. I know this first hand. I worked at a maximum security jail in a southern California county for the first years of my career.
More than once an inmate told me he turned himself in on a warrant he knew he had so he could get a free root canal or some other medical procedure.
That's messed up man. A lot of people don't even know that this stuff is going on. I'm still pissed just thinking about ICE bragging about this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or