U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 PM

145 posts, read 204,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
What you consider and what is, are two different things. Human rights are limited to the right to life, not the right to live comfortably.
I disagree. Human rights should go far beyond a mere "right to life"--although for ten thousand people in Mexico every year, the Drug War denies them even that.

Quote:
Freedom of Speech within the US Constitution does not give one the right to speak any language they wish, it is the persons Liberty as granted that does that.
I disagree.

Quote:
Because it doesn't meet your ideal of fair and rational? Many, including myself, think it is more than fair and rational.
Think what is fair and rational? What specifically are you referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 05:49 PM

2,477 posts, read 754,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphKNS View Post
I disagree. Human rights should go far beyond a mere "right to life"--although for ten thousand people in Mexico every year, the Drug War denies them even that.

I disagree.

Think what is fair and rational? What specifically are you referring to?
Your key word is should. People in Mexico are free to leave the country (Universal Declaration of Human Rights - UDHR), what they are not is free to enter another country (UDHR). Hell, there are 10K people in the US maimed/killed by illegals yearly, what about their "rights"?

I suggest you read and understand the "Freedom of Speech" from the Constitution, to include all the SCOTUS cases about it, when you find one that you think agrees with you, let me know.

I was referring to your claim of past/present immigration laws.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,409,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
"This scene tells a heart wrenching story.
Some 20 illegal immigrants were crammed into a small grey van.
All of them were searching for one thing: a better life.
But now, nine of them are dead and six others injured"

Witness saw fatal Palmview accident happen : News : ValleyCentral.com

Now mind you it is always sad to see the end of human life, however they were victims of their own demise and notice how the writer of this article turns it into another illegal alien sob story....."All of them were searching for a better life". Boo hoo, they didn't do it the right way. If they had this wouldn't have happened. I find it hard to feel real sorry for lawbreakers.
About two and a half years ago there was a case where three or so illegal aliens were found dead inside of a boxcar that was put on the side in Arizona or Texas somewhere (which is completely normal in the railroad world as cars are positioned on sidetracks for later use), and the door slammed shut on them unexpectedly. Well, they roasted to death in the hot sun and loss of oxygen. This is not that uncommon, as I saw many examples of IA's using the trains for their convenience in my time on the rails in Southern California.

At the time of this incident, I commented on CD that while sad, they experienced the unfortunate side of what can happen when trying to enter this country illegally, and that it should serve notice to those that have yet to try it themselves. In return for this comment, I received an infraction for "advocating violence" from one of our mods.

Not sure about the correlation between fate and forewarning, but I thought this was a little excessive. Be careful when pointing out the obvious facts Chicago, as some people take the facts different ways.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:08 PM

145 posts, read 204,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Hell, there are 10K people in the US maimed/killed by illegals yearly, what about their "rights"?
I don't believe you. Where is your citation that ten thousand Americans a year are killed or maimed by illegal immigrants?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Drug_War If you look here, there are many citations with current estimates for those killed in the Mexican Drug War over the past five years numbering at about fifty thousand.

Quote:
I was referring to your claim of past/present immigration laws.
Are you saying that you believe both current immigration laws and those in the 20th century were good and reasonable?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 AM

2,477 posts, read 754,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphKNS View Post
I don't believe you. Where is your citation that ten thousand Americans a year are killed or maimed by illegal immigrants?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Drug_War If you look here, there are many citations with current estimates for those killed in the Mexican Drug War over the past five years numbering at about fifty thousand.

Are you saying that you believe both current immigration laws and those in the 20th century were good and reasonable?
You miss my point, even if only one was killed in the US per year it would not change the fact of what I have said. Illegal aliens have no right to be here to begin with, and what of the right that person had to life.

Very few have come here seeking asylum from the drug war in Mexico. The drug war is also limited, to an extent, in Mexico to the border towns and small villages in the mountains, very little happens in the major cities. Unemployment is at 5% in Mexico. Most migrating to the US come from small towns and villages (drug war or not and have done so for many years), not from the major cities and hubs.

Are you saying those immigration laws weren't good and reasonable? I think today's immigration law needs to be changed, I'm betting the changes I think should be made will greatly differ from what you think they should be.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 AM

3,493 posts, read 1,163,041 times
A billion people live on less than $1.25 a day.

Can they all come here? Or it just Mexicans? Because illegals bring crime here, lower wages here and make enforcement of labor laws harder here. They can't live on wages here either so Americans get taxed to make up the difference.

How much in taxes should Americans be forced to pay to make life better for Mexicans? And why just Mexicans? Why not people from other lousy countries?

Since we can agree that agree that it is hard for a Mexican illegal who doesn't speak English (because learning another language is hard so of course Americans should be forced to learn Spanish!) to live in America . . . why ask him to leave at all? Shouldn't Americans be forced to pay a Make Mexico a Better Place Tax? Mexicans get stuff and get to stay home in fabulous Mexico, Carlos Slim (the world's richest man and a Mexican national) gets to keep his oligarchy and selfish, racist, ethnocentric Americans get less money!

Win-win for all! Except the Americans but hey we lack compassion and we suck so who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration