Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:27 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Generally it is expressed as 18 years and 180 days. Having between 180 days and a year of unlawful presence is generally a three-year bar from re-entry. Over a year of unlawful presence is a ten-year bar from re-entry.

Portions of those bars may be wavered under an I-601...
Excellent (right on cue) on the clarification.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
He is in the country illegally which is breaking the law. If he has ever held a job he's broken additional laws. If he has a Florida driver's license he has broken other laws.
Illegals don't think they are breaking any laws when they use forged documents or stolen SS numbers.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:20 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Being immoral, having bad ethics or a lousy family and graduating from a mediocre school are not breaking laws.

This is a positive member of society.
Remaining in the country as an illegal immigrant is breaking the law. Accepting employment as an illegal immigrant is breaking the law. Why do you suppose he wants to be admitted to the bar? Do you suppose he wants to work as a lawyer? That would be breaking a law. You can make all the excuses you want but this kid is breaking the law as I type this and he's trying to break more laws. What other laws should we choose to ignore to suit one individual? How many free passes should we give out? There are millions of people in the world who would like one. Do we have the resources and infrastructure to support anyone who would like to come to the USA?

Old 04-20-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
He has been honest about his legal status the entire time.

Technically he can practice law pro bono while illegal.

He didn't learn Mexican law, he learned US law. It is unfair to deny him the credentials he's earned.
It is unfair to legal immigrants and citizens to ignore immigration violations and just let people enter and stay in the country at will.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
If your parents brought you in as a minor, and you overcame the odds to graduate valedictorian in high school then move on to law school I would be on your side. 2 different situations totally.

Here is the real double standard... Being Canadian none of the anti-illegals here would even care about you. I mean you assimilate into anglo culture within days! It's the Hispanics they don't like...pretty obvious in this thread: Hispanic assimilation has failed

Ahhhh....the race card.

The good ol' standby when losing a debate. Well played....not

Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
If your parents brought you in as a minor, and you overcame the odds to graduate valedictorian in high school then move on to law school I would be on your side. 2 different situations totally.

Here is the real double standard... Being Canadian none of the anti-illegals here would even care about you. I mean you assimilate into anglo culture within days! It's the Hispanics they don't like...pretty obvious in this thread: Hispanic assimilation has failed
Canada is not America. We are a leader not a follower.

The link you reference to is hispanics not assimilating. How is they hating hispanics? Sounds more like hispanics are hostile to the people & country they immigrated to.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:09 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:

Oh stop with the race card pulling already. What you are saying simply is not true!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:26 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
He has been honest about his legal status the entire time.

Technically he can practice law pro bono while illegal.

He didn't learn Mexican law, he learned US law. It is unfair to deny him the credentials he's earned.
He cannot "practice" law. You have to be authorized to practice law in a jurisdiction. He cannot represent anyone in a court of law, he cannot submit any documentation in a court of law on behalf of a "client". He can give advice, nothing more.

I bet his specialty is Immigration law.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:48 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:

Whaaah?

This is just bullcrap of the first order.

What odds did this kid overcome? He/she went to school just as millions of others and stuggled differently than your other legal citizens how exactly?

When visiting your fine country we are routinely asked the number of days we have spent there in the last three years and if they total more than 183 using a reduction formulae of "current", "1/3rd", then "1/6th" then we re obligated to have ALREADY filed a form 8840 with your IRS. To not have done so with the excuse "we knew nothing about this" is an automatic refusal of entry PLUS a review of our previous income AND taxes being ALL earned and paid within Canada. This is all done with Canadian government co-operation!

So on the one hand you have acknowledged this illegal; while knowing he was illegal, availed himself of education while being illegal and now wants to jpractice law while being illegal but it's all O.K. cause he can claim "gee, it's not my fault I was brought here by my mommy"?

You're chitting me; right? Did I go to sleep and wake up with an old addage being wiped out overnight "ignorance of the law is no excuse". Or are you applying a double standard to those of Mexican heritage?

This guy or gal we're talking about has grown up there and studied your laws fer chrissake! They should know they are behaving illegally or they haven't learned anything while studying law! THEY KNOW THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW! Dear mother of god; what about this don't you get?

I can assure you; Canadians entering your country illegally are treated far differently upon being caught and WILL not be allowed to practice anything illegally while there, subject to full prosecution under your laws.

A DOUBLE STANDARD!

Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 AM

146 posts, read 350,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Who wants to hire a lawyer who doesn't believe in obeying the law? Lawyers are supposed to be of good moral character. An illegal in violation of multiple American laws does not meet that test.
I don't consider the law to be equivalent to morality. The idea of a social contract being the basis of morality is full of all kinds of problems. It's a weak theory in a lot of ways. At one point, slavery was legal. Frederick Douglass was in violation of multiple American laws; I wouldn't say that he was of bad moral character because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration