U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:57 AM

27,994 posts, read 46,352,092 times

Advertisements

Last year, for the first time, fully half of Parkland Hospital's patients were Hispanic.

Over at Methodist Dallas Medical Center in Oak Cliff and Methodist Charlton Medical Center in southwest Dallas, 22 percent of patients last year were Hispanic up from 14 percent just 10 years ago.

Meanwhile, doctors and clinics across the area say they are seeing growing numbers of Hispanic patients, many of whom don't speak English and have their own cultural attitudes toward treatment and ethnic vulnerabilities to disease.

This shift has meant changes in the way health care professionals interact with those in their care, and in the kinds of problems doctors must look out for.

Hispanics shift hospitals' resources | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/091507dnbushispanichealth.29186bf.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 11:19 AM

21,902 posts, read 20,891,721 times
H-E-L-L-O, English is our language here in America! Learn it or leave it. I think we have bent over just a bit to far by making "OUR" Dr.s learn a foreign language and have to learn a different culture in order to practice here in the USA. And all the time and $$ to have to put signs up and have "special" forms in Spanish. Give me a break..........

Old 10-25-2009, 06:19 AM

411 posts, read 402,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
H-E-L-L-O, English is our language here in America! Learn it or leave it. I think we have bent over just a bit to far by making "OUR" Dr.s learn a foreign language and have to learn a different culture in order to practice here in the USA. And all the time and $$ to have to put signs up and have "special" forms in Spanish. Give me a break..........

I honestly don't see all those doctors that have learned spanish, in the vast majority of cases if there is a visiting patient that only speaks spanish, it is usually a spanish doctor or assistant that translate, people should just stop whining and learn a second language, obviously spanish.
In Europe most people speak more than one language....

Old 10-25-2009, 06:55 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,376,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
I honestly don't see all those doctors that have learned spanish, in the vast majority of cases if there is a visiting patient that only speaks spanish, it is usually a spanish doctor or assistant that translate, people should just stop whining and learn a second language, obviously spanish.
The whole of Europe is only slightly larger than the USA in area (by a few hundred thousand square miles). Much of Europe has formed a coalition of sorts, including the monetary unit "Euro". It is quite different here in the USA. If the USA was broken up into much smaller regions, each having it's own language, more than likely we would all be multi-lingual just to survive and facilitate trade. That is NOT the case, obviously. We are the UNITED STATES.

If others want to come here they will have to learn English, especially when they are getting FREE care in our hospitals.

Why Spanish? There are plenty of Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, etc., here also. How many languages should we learn? Oh, yeah, I forgot. The Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese all take the trouble to learn English. It's just the Spanish (LOL) who either refuse or aren't capable of learning another language.

English is our language; adapt or get TH out!

Old 10-25-2009, 07:27 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
If we want our children to learn the language of money it should be Chinese. If we want them to be able to communicate with unskilled peasants then I guess Spanish would make sense. I'm going for the money option.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:47 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:

What BS! I don't give a rat's behind what Europe does. The only reason Americans are being forced to learn Spanish is because of this illegal invasion from south of our border. Most Latino citizens do speak English so why would we need to learn Spanish since we have our national language to communicate with them? It is only those pushing for us to become a Hispanic nation culturally that are pushing for us to learn Spanish. There is no need for Americans to learn another language unless they are in the tourist industry or are planning on moving to another country whose national language isn't English. English is the language of business across the world also.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:53 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
It's the immigrants that need to learn something but they should not be here in the first place. We don't need these impoverished people who never pay their hospital bills and earn too little to pay even if they wanted to.

If we need immigrants we need them from a variety of countries and backgrounds, but we also need the kind of immigrant that is intelligent enough and willing to learn our language and adapt to our culture.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:34 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
I honestly don't see all those doctors that have learned spanish
Now why do you suppose that might be? Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, doctors already have their hands full providing care to their patients? Your typical neurosurgeon will probably spend his or her day in surgery, seeing patients in the office, making rounds on patients in the hospital, returning phone calls, consulting with colleagues, seeing someone with a head injury in the ER, teaching medical students and residents if they are at a teaching hospital and arguing with insurance companies. Plus if some illegal drives himself into tree at 1 AM, they can then spend half the night trying to sort out what remains of his brain. On top of all this, they are supposed to find time to learn how to habla espanol to accommodate a population of people don't/can't be bothered with learning English?

Quote:
, in the vast majority of cases if there is a visiting patient that only speaks spanish, it is usually a spanish doctor or assistant that translate, people should just stop whining and learn a second language, obviously spanish.

No, your spanish speaking patients should stop whining and learn English.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:12 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Irrelevant: the USA is a monolingual nation despite the best efforts of the multcultural crowd to make it otherwise.

As for Europe: English is making increasing inroads there-------much to the consternation of the French in particular. I am not saying it is right or wrong; just that quite a few of the younger people like English because it is quite useful everywhere----------including Mexico.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:39 PM

411 posts, read 402,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Irrelevant: the USA is a monolingual nation despite the best efforts of the multcultural crowd to make it otherwise.

As for Europe: English is making increasing inroads there-------much to the consternation of the French in particular. I am not saying it is right or wrong; just that quite a few of the younger people like English because it is quite useful everywhere----------including Mexico.

For a "monolingual" nation, the usa has 20% of its people speaking fluent Spanish, which is a hefty number, I think english is a great language that
allows many different cultures to communicate, I also cherish spanish which is a very important language here and in the rest of the Americas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or