Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Glad to see that you recognize that both candidates propose some sort of amnesty. Curious to see if they will both get your scorn equally moving forward.

And, surely you have to agree, once the GOP completely guts Medicaid, as many hope they will, there will be absolutely no reason for them to stay.

As for the rest, as a very famous person used to say "A rising tide lifts all boats."
While I certainly don't believe that all illegals will go home any more than I believe that illegal immigration will ever completely stop, I do believe the report and I do believe that as things continue to improve in Mexico, future generations will have less reason to think that living in the shadows is preferable to staying home.
You're wrong. Romney wants illegal aliens to return to their homelands first before applying to come here legally on a visa. That isn't the same thing as an amnesty aka the Dream Act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 01:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You're wrong. Romney wants illegal aliens to return to their homelands first before applying to come here legally on a visa. That isn't the same thing as an amnesty aka the Dream Act.

Maybe that's what he said last week, this week he said something a little different:

"At a press conference with Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) Monday, Romney said Rubio’s nascent DREAM Act proposal, which offers the children of illegal immigrants a way to remain in the country, should pass muster with conservatives like Kobach. "

Did Mitt Romney Just Throw Kris Kobach Under The Bus? | TPM2012

Old 04-25-2012, 01:49 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,342 times
Quote:
Maybe that's what he said last week, this week he said something a little different:

"At a press conference with Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) Monday, Romney said Rubio’s nascent DREAM Act proposal, which offers the children of illegal immigrants a way to remain in the country, should pass muster with conservatives like Kobach. "

Romney isn't on full board with Rubio's DREAM act, the bottom of your link makes that quite clear:
Quote:
“The one that’s been proposed in the Senate creates a new category of citizenship for certain individuals. [Rubio’s] proposal does not create that new category but instead provides visas for those that come into the country that came in as young people with their families,” Romney said. “I’m taking a look at his proposal. It has many features to commend it, but it’s something we’re studying.”.......Romney has not yet come out in favor of, or opposition to, Rubio’s plan. But by speaking favorably on it, he’s taking a stand against some of his key supporters.
You seem to be putting the cart before the horse.

Quote:
It appears Rubio has more work to do for that endorsement as Romney wouldn't go so far as to embrace Rubio's immigration proposal.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/pol...#ixzz1t5EBSSmY

Old 04-25-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:

You're reading more into this than there actually is. From the article, "Romney has not yet come out in favor of, or opposition to, Rubio’s plan".

Besides, Romney would be a fool to tick off his conservative base to pander to Hispanics when his conservative base consists of a lot more voters. Hispanics will typically vote Democrat no matter what especially since Obama is promising a lot more to illegal aliens than Romney "might".

Keep in mind also that a president can do little in regards to immigration issues without the approval of congress. Hispanics seem to forget that when choosing who to vote for. Obama has been trying to years but has gotten nowhere accept to enact a mini-back door amnesty for some.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Glad to see that you recognize that both candidates propose some sort of amnesty. Curious to see if they will both get your scorn equally moving forward.

And, surely you have to agree, once the GOP completely guts Medicaid, as many hope they will, there will be absolutely no reason for them to stay.

As for the rest, as a very famous person used to say "A rising tide lifts all boats."
While I certainly don't believe that all illegals will go home any more than I believe that illegal immigration will ever completely stop, I do believe the report and I do believe that as things continue to improve in Mexico, future generations will have less reason to think that living in the shadows is preferable to staying home.
You believe the report based on what facts presented? What tangible measures?

Old 04-25-2012, 11:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

If you believe the report that illegals are returning home, then you should believe that an amnesty is not needed.

I thought the whole point to giving the illegals their big amnesty reward was because none of them were ever going to go back home, that we're stuck with them so we have to make them into citizens so they can receive a nice social security check and American retirement.

If it's true that illegals are headed home, then it shows the big advantage in leaving them illegal.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
What are lawmakers supposed to do exactly...make it more illegal to enter/stay here without a visa?
This is the job of the executive branch, and they appear to be doing everything they can right now (with record successes).
The executive branch languished a little to long and were not diligent..I don't believe they could grasp the concept of the numbers...I can seeing my nation is just over 33 million- and yours from what I understand is over 360 million...If 30 million unknowns or (illegals) are in existence..to some it may not sound like a lot....to me....It would amount to the internal displacement of my whole national populace.

To bad there was not a legal filtering system in place to begin with that would quickly weed out the unworthy.

Let me give you an example of success as far as mixing it up..There is a large but exclusive day care in my hood..I see baby strollers that hold 4 infants at a time. Young woman push their wards down the street.. 4 strollers in a row..containing 16 babies all just under a year old...I look at their sweet innocent faces....I SEE EVERY RACE AND CREED ON THE PLANET..within that little convoy....Canada had a plan as far as international intigration..America did not.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The executive branch languished a little to long and were not diligent..I don't believe they could grasp the concept of the numbers...I can seeing my nation is just over 33 million- and yours from what I understand is over 360 million...If 30 million unknowns or (illegals) are in existence..to some it may not sound like a lot....to me....It would amount to the internal displacement of my whole national populace.

To bad there was not a legal filtering system in place to begin with that would quickly weed out the unworthy.

Let me give you an example of success as far as mixing it up..There is a large but exclusive day care in my hood..I see baby strollers that hold 4 infants at a time. Young woman push their wards down the street.. 4 strollers in a row..containing 16 babies all just under a year old...I look at their sweet innocent faces....I SEE EVERY RACE AND CREED ON THE PLANET..within that little convoy....Canada had a plan as far as international intigration..America did not.
What do you mean? The U.S. does have a legal immigration system in place. It does weed out the unworthy. We do try to integrate LEGAL immigrants. The topic is illegal immigration and we shoulnd't have to integrate them into our society as they don't belong here. They need to be deported.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If you believe the report that illegals are returning home, then you should believe that an amnesty is not needed.

I thought the whole point to giving the illegals their big amnesty reward was because none of them were ever going to go back home, that we're stuck with them so we have to make them into citizens so they can receive a nice social security check and American retirement.

If it's true that illegals are headed home, then it shows the big advantage in leaving them illegal.
Does the report say that every illegal is returning home?
Of course not.
It only says that enough are returning home to cancel out the number who are still arriving.

And, the report only deals with Mexicans returning home. It says nothing about Asians or Eastern Europeans or any other nationality.

Personally, I have not reached an opinion regarding amnesty. I do believe that some provision needs to be made for young people who have lived nowhere but here through no fault of their own, but, beyond that, I suspect that nothing is really going to be done any time soon so, the best we can hope for right now is net zero migration.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Does the report say that every illegal is returning home?
Of course not.
It only says that enough are returning home to cancel out the number who are still arriving.

And, the report only deals with Mexicans returning home. It says nothing about Asians or Eastern Europeans or any other nationality.

Personally, I have not reached an opinion regarding amnesty. I do believe that some provision needs to be made for young people who have lived nowhere but here through no fault of their own, but, beyond that, I suspect that nothing is really going to be done any time soon so, the best we can hope for right now is net zero migration.
Once again I challenge. How can they know either way when illegals are not tracked going either way?
In other words it is assumed. It is a guesstimate. In other words it aint a dairy farm we are smelling it is BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration