U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2012, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
1,105 posts, read 2,736,749 times
Reputation: 2097

Advertisements

I keep hearing the same comments over and over again: "These illegals would be welcome if they would just go through the legal process. Why don't they go through legal channels and instead choose to sneak across the border?" I just heard a woman on CNN make such a comment and I've heard it many times before. The illegals should just go home and get in line to come here legally. Clearly those who make these comments don't understand US immigration laws. Illegal immigrants don't walk for days through the desert to come here because they just don't want to go through legal channels to immigrate legally. Fact is for the vast majority of them there is no way to immigrate legally and there is no line to get into. It's very difficult to get a green card and most people don't qualify. Are the average Americans under the impression that these people had/have an option to apply for a visa but just chose not to?

I'm not a supporter of illegal immigration but I think it's important that people know the facts about the arguments they make. Perhaps these protesters would see things differently if they understood that illegals don't just choose to take an illegal route as opposed to a legal one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM
 
Location: New Hampshire
4,827 posts, read 4,646,310 times
Reputation: 3583
And if they apply and get denied, too bad.

And yes I do believe most of them just don't care about our laws because of how we have handled their illegal stay here. It encourages more people to skip the line.


Please tell me where in the Constitution it says those who want to come here have a right to do so anytime they wish.

A Green Card is not a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,711,425 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I keep hearing the same comments over and over again: "These illegals would be welcome if they would just go through the legal process. Why don't they go through legal channels and instead choose to sneak across the border?" I just heard a woman on CNN make such a comment and I've heard it many times before. The illegals should just go home and get in line to come here legally. Clearly those who make these comments don't understand US immigration laws. Illegal immigrants don't walk for days through the desert to come here because they just don't want to go through legal channels to immigrate legally. Fact is for the vast majority of them there is no way to immigrate legally and there is no line to get into. It's very difficult to get a green card and most people don't qualify. Are the average Americans under the impression that these people had/have an option to apply for a visa but just chose not to?

I'm not a supporter of illegal immigration but I think it's important that people know the facts about the arguments they make. Perhaps these protesters would see things differently if they understood that illegals don't just choose to take an illegal route as opposed to a legal one.
You should actually take the time to search and read some older threads in here. Most of what you have stated is but rhetoric. You claim those arguing don't know immigration laws, I claim they seem to know them better than you. You equate coming here to wanting/receiving a green card (as if that is the only way to immigrate to the US). Many that come here illegally simply come as economic refugees, they want to work here for a few years, send the money home, and then go back and live like a king. Many don't want green cards or citizenship, they simply want to come here to work and then leave when they feel they made enough.

Now, most of those that came here illegally could have applied for the H2A visa and waited until the AG industry called for them, they didn't want to wait. Many that entered on border cards and overstayed their non-immigrant visas do have the opportunity to apply for change of status, but there's no guarantee they will receive it, as there should be no guarantee.

So, again, I claim you know very little of immigration laws and how they actually work. The one espousing rhetoric seems to be you.

(I'm sure IBM will be here to clarify any of my comments for you shortly)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I keep hearing the same comments over and over again: "These illegals would be welcome if they would just go through the legal process. Why don't they go through legal channels and instead choose to sneak across the border?" I just heard a woman on CNN make such a comment and I've heard it many times before. The illegals should just go home and get in line to come here legally. Clearly those who make these comments don't understand US immigration laws. Illegal immigrants don't walk for days through the desert to come here because they just don't want to go through legal channels to immigrate legally. Fact is for the vast majority of them there is no way to immigrate legally and there is no line to get into. It's very difficult to get a green card and most people don't qualify. Are the average Americans under the impression that these people had/have an option to apply for a visa but just chose not to?

I'm not a supporter of illegal immigration but I think it's important that people know the facts about the arguments they make. Perhaps these protesters would see things differently if they understood that illegals don't just choose to take an illegal route as opposed to a legal one.
But it doesn't matter if there is no way for them to come legally. That doesn't give them the right to come illegally anyway. We have annual quotas for legal immigration and once those quotas are met that's that. Our annual quotas reflect our needs for immigrants and any number above those needs impacts our own citizens negatively. There are more immigrants that want to come here "legally" than we can accomodate in jobs and resources. Should we let them all in anyway or turn our backs on illegal immigration? I don't think so! They need to work to fix their own countries. We cannot be the answer to the whole world's poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 02:01 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I keep hearing the same comments over and over again: "These illegals would be welcome if they would just go through the legal process. Why don't they go through legal channels and instead choose to sneak across the border?" I just heard a woman on CNN make such a comment and I've heard it many times before. The illegals should just go home and get in line to come here legally. Clearly those who make these comments don't understand US immigration laws. Illegal immigrants don't walk for days through the desert to come here because they just don't want to go through legal channels to immigrate legally. Fact is for the vast majority of them there is no way to immigrate legally and there is no line to get into. It's very difficult to get a green card and most people don't qualify. Are the average Americans under the impression that these people had/have an option to apply for a visa but just chose not to?

I'm not a supporter of illegal immigration but I think it's important that people know the facts about the arguments they make. Perhaps these protesters would see things differently if they understood that illegals don't just choose to take an illegal route as opposed to a legal one.
I want a Ferrari, should I just steal it because there is "no other way?" I want to attend Harvard, should I get a fake name and show up in a class cause there is "no other way".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I keep hearing the same comments over and over again: "These illegals would be welcome if they would just go through the legal process. Why don't they go through legal channels and instead choose to sneak across the border?" I just heard a woman on CNN make such a comment and I've heard it many times before. The illegals should just go home and get in line to come here legally. Clearly those who make these comments don't understand US immigration laws. Illegal immigrants don't walk for days through the desert to come here because they just don't want to go through legal channels to immigrate legally. Fact is for the vast majority of them there is no way to immigrate legally and there is no line to get into. It's very difficult to get a green card and most people don't qualify. Are the average Americans under the impression that these people had/have an option to apply for a visa but just chose not to?

I'm not a supporter of illegal immigration but I think it's important that people know the facts about the arguments they make. Perhaps these protesters would see things differently if they understood that illegals don't just choose to take an illegal route as opposed to a legal one.

Are you saying come illegally if they can't immigrate legally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I keep hearing the same comments over and over again: "These illegals would be welcome if they would just go through the legal process. Why don't they go through legal channels and instead choose to sneak across the border?" I just heard a woman on CNN make such a comment and I've heard it many times before. The illegals should just go home and get in line to come here legally. Clearly those who make these comments don't understand US immigration laws. Illegal immigrants don't walk for days through the desert to come here because they just don't want to go through legal channels to immigrate legally. Fact is for the vast majority of them there is no way to immigrate legally and there is no line to get into. It's very difficult to get a green card and most people don't qualify. Are the average Americans under the impression that these people had/have an option to apply for a visa but just chose not to?

I'm not a supporter of illegal immigration but I think it's important that people know the facts about the arguments they make. Perhaps these protesters would see things differently if they understood that illegals don't just choose to take an illegal route as opposed to a legal one.
1. Do we owe them a green card?
2. The burden is upon the immigrant to show thier worth.
3. my wife is a legal immigrant now a naturalized citizen. In her group was 72 people representing 40 nations. I would say that there is a path for those who qualify.
We dont owe anyone a green card. Just as a bank doesn't owe anyone a loan unless they qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 04:41 PM
 
16,694 posts, read 8,639,497 times
Reputation: 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I keep hearing the same comments over and over again: "These illegals would be welcome if they would just go through the legal process. Why don't they go through legal channels and instead choose to sneak across the border?" I just heard a woman on CNN make such a comment and I've heard it many times before. The illegals should just go home and get in line to come here legally. Clearly those who make these comments don't understand US immigration laws. Illegal immigrants don't walk for days through the desert to come here because they just don't want to go through legal channels to immigrate legally. Fact is for the vast majority of them there is no way to immigrate legally and there is no line to get into. It's very difficult to get a green card and most people don't qualify. Are the average Americans under the impression that these people had/have an option to apply for a visa but just chose not to?

I'm not a supporter of illegal immigration but I think it's important that people know the facts about the arguments they make. Perhaps these protesters would see things differently if they understood that illegals don't just choose to take an illegal route as opposed to a legal one.
Immigration is a privilege not a right. We don't owe them a green card or a job!

As a legal immigrant myself, I have been through all the pain and anxiety of immigration. In which part you think I don't understand the immigration law?

No legal way for them to come here or they don't qualify? Well, that's how the immigration system works. There's a standard and requirement for everybody who wants to come here legally and we follow that. Yes, it's called the immigration law.

No country in the world has the obligation to satisfy another country's citizen's wants, needs or demands.

I know they want a better life, so do we. My words to them is:
1. Work hard and study hard so that you qualify for legal immigration, and/or
2. Spend more energy to build your own country right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,422,338 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
1. Do we owe them a green card?
2. The burden is upon the immigrant to show thier worth.
3. my wife is a legal immigrant now a naturalized citizen. In her group was 72 people representing 40 nations. I would say that there is a path for those who qualify.
We dont owe anyone a green card. Just as a bank doesn't owe anyone a loan unless they qualify.
Excellent analogy tin, I owe you a rep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I keep hearing the same comments over and over again: "These illegals would be welcome if they would just go through the legal process. Why don't they go through legal channels and instead choose to sneak across the border?" I just heard a woman on CNN make such a comment and I've heard it many times before. The illegals should just go home and get in line to come here legally. Clearly those who make these comments don't understand US immigration laws. Illegal immigrants don't walk for days through the desert to come here because they just don't want to go through legal channels to immigrate legally. Fact is for the vast majority of them there is no way to immigrate legally and there is no line to get into. It's very difficult to get a green card and most people don't qualify. Are the average Americans under the impression that these people had/have an option to apply for a visa but just chose not to?

I'm not a supporter of illegal immigration but I think it's important that people know the facts about the arguments they make. Perhaps these protesters would see things differently if they understood that illegals don't just choose to take an illegal route as opposed to a legal one.
Many cannot come here legally because they have zero job skills and no employer would sponsor them for a work visa. The very easiest way for someone with no job skills to immigrate legally of course is to have a family member here or if they can find a green card spouse. Not all illegals have relatives here, and not all kind find an American to marry them.

100% of Americans would not be given visas to immigrate to any other country -- not even Mexico would give every last American a visa to relocate to and work in Mexico. ALL countries have some kind of limits placed on who many can come and of course on what kind of people can come.

USA immigration isn't really supposed to be about making the USA the flophouse of the world. Yes, the easy solution to anyone with many children or any disability or who simply doesn't feel like working would be for them to pack up and head to the USA where our social safety nets provide a very plush and lavish living to everyone.

Only the most avid pro-illegals seriously think that the USA can take in the over 2 billion impoverished people of the world -- certainly you don't mean unlimited immigration for just Mexicans? Wouldn't that be racist?

How about the Haitians? They're country is rather poor -- should 100% of them be given visas to come live in the USA? How about the Nigerians, Ugandans, Somalians? Kenyans? Some of them are poor and would love to live in the USA -- should 100% of them be handed a visa?

And many people in Asia are poor and unskilled -- millions of them -- should they all be handed a visa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top