U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 AM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Reputation: 22519

Advertisements

I think that it would be to the benefit of both sides of this discussion to clarify the point that when someone says something to the tune of "I wish they would all go back to Mexico" that comment does a disservice to those who are against illegal immigration. I would venture to say that those who oppose it do not want only Mexican illegals out of the US - it applies to all people here through illegal means from every other country on this planet. Which means they can't "all go back to Mexico" because they aren't all from there. Also, let's keep in mind that those US citizens who are of Mexican or other Latin heritage should not be lumped into the "illegal" group - that is why some feel that anti illegal equates to racism. I am sure there are indeed those who are opposed to illegal immigration that are racially motivated, but I am fairly certain that doesn't apply to the majority of them. Let's be fair to our own citizens of Latin heritage and stop generalizing.

I believe that immigration, when done according to the law, is a good thing for this country. There are limits set up as to how many individuals are allowed in from each country each year - if those laws need to be revisited, then do it on the proper channels.

Rushing the country for economic (or whatever other) reasons because life sucks where you are from is not a justification for breaking our laws and hopping our borders. If this is allowed then let's go whole hog and let every impoverished country export their poor to the US and be done with it. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Maybe if we abolished the free social services, education, and health care and started enforcing our zoning and occupancy laws it wouldn't be as appealing to many to "risk it all" to steal their piece of the American pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2007, 10:45 AM
 
3,031 posts, read 8,150,473 times
Reputation: 830
I completely agree with your point. I think people say "Mexico" because that's the situation that seems in our face most of the time. But I try to be careful to say "illegal immigrants" and not point to a certain country. In fact, it's not even the word "immigrant" that bothers me, it's the "illegal" part!


Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I think that it would be to the benefit of both sides of this discussion to clarify the point that when someone says something to the tune of "I wish they would all go back to Mexico" that comment does a disservice to those who are against illegal immigration. I would venture to say that those who oppose it do not want only Mexican illegals out of the US - it applies to all people here through illegal means from every other country on this planet. Which means they can't "all go back to Mexico" because they aren't all from there. Also, let's keep in mind that those US citizens who are of Mexican or other Latin heritage should not be lumped into the "illegal" group - that is why some feel that anti illegal equates to racism. I am sure there are indeed those who are opposed to illegal immigration that are racially motivated, but I am fairly certain that doesn't apply to the majority of them. Let's be fair to our own citizens of Latin heritage and stop generalizing.

I believe that immigration, when done according to the law, is a good thing for this country. There are limits set up as to how many individuals are allowed in from each country each year - if those laws need to be revisited, then do it on the proper channels.

Rushing the country for economic (or whatever other) reasons because life sucks where you are from is not a justification for breaking our laws and hopping our borders. If this is allowed then let's go whole hog and let every impoverished country export their poor to the US and be done with it. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Maybe if we abolished the free social services, education, and health care and started enforcing our zoning and occupancy laws it wouldn't be as appealing to many to "risk it all" to steal their piece of the American pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2007, 11:44 AM
 
537 posts, read 312,010 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I think that it would be to the benefit of both sides of this discussion to clarify the point that when someone says something to the tune of "I wish they would all go back to Mexico" that comment does a disservice to those who are against illegal immigration. I would venture to say that those who oppose it do not want only Mexican illegals out of the US - it applies to all people here through illegal means from every other country on this planet. Which means they can't "all go back to Mexico" because they aren't all from there. Also, let's keep in mind that those US citizens who are of Mexican or other Latin heritage should not be lumped into the "illegal" group - that is why some feel that anti illegal equates to racism. I am sure there are indeed those who are opposed to illegal immigration that are racially motivated, but I am fairly certain that doesn't apply to the majority of them. Let's be fair to our own citizens of Latin heritage and stop generalizing.

I believe that immigration, when done according to the law, is a good thing for this country. There are limits set up as to how many individuals are allowed in from each country each year - if those laws need to be revisited, then do it on the proper channels.

Rushing the country for economic (or whatever other) reasons because life sucks where you are from is not a justification for breaking our laws and hopping our borders. If this is allowed then let's go whole hog and let every impoverished country export their poor to the US and be done with it. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Maybe if we abolished the free social services, education, and health care and started enforcing our zoning and occupancy laws it wouldn't be as appealing to many to "risk it all" to steal their piece of the American pie.
Very well said and thank you for your moderation. You have hit the nail on the head. It is not our fault that the majority of illegals happen to be from Mexico. It is also not our fault that Mexico has made it plain that they are going to take over our country and they plan on doing by demographics. It is being done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2007, 12:54 PM
 
547 posts, read 1,044,546 times
Reputation: 227
Thumbs up Well said, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I think that it would be to the benefit of both sides of this discussion to clarify the point that when someone says something to the tune of "I wish they would all go back to Mexico" that comment does a disservice to those who are against illegal immigration. I would venture to say that those who oppose it do not want only Mexican illegals out of the US - it applies to all people here through illegal means from every other country on this planet. Which means they can't "all go back to Mexico" because they aren't all from there. Also, let's keep in mind that those US citizens who are of Mexican or other Latin heritage should not be lumped into the "illegal" group - that is why some feel that anti illegal equates to racism. I am sure there are indeed those who are opposed to illegal immigration that are racially motivated, but I am fairly certain that doesn't apply to the majority of them. Let's be fair to our own citizens of Latin heritage and stop generalizing.

I believe that immigration, when done according to the law, is a good thing for this country. There are limits set up as to how many individuals are allowed in from each country each year - if those laws need to be revisited, then do it on the proper channels.

Rushing the country for economic (or whatever other) reasons because life sucks where you are from is not a justification for breaking our laws and hopping our borders. If this is allowed then let's go whole hog and let every impoverished country export their poor to the US and be done with it. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Maybe if we abolished the free social services, education, and health care and started enforcing our zoning and occupancy laws it wouldn't be as appealing to many to "risk it all" to steal their piece of the American pie.
Well said DontH8Me, thank you. I like to believe the only reason people mention Hispanics specifically in their posts is because they comprise the biggest part of the illegal alien population currently in our country, the specific incidents that happened to them or others they know just happened to involve a Hispanic person and/or because the demonstrations against laws meant to stop the flow of illegal aliens have been done by Hispanics; rather than a hatred for Hispanic people. There are probably some who target Hispanics specifically because they have a hatred for them, but I genuinely feel sorry for those people because they are missing out on knowing some really special people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2007, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Florida
540 posts, read 1,105,031 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Bimmer View Post
WOW! Can't say I'm surprised at such ignorant and RACIST comments. It appears people forget where in the hell they came from...

Tss Tss...
This is our country, they can't have it! na,na,na,na,na, na! Get in line like they are supposed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2007, 02:14 PM
 
63 posts, read 139,539 times
Reputation: 87
As long as the goverment allows this to continue...... the more they will keep entering.
The citizens need to start rallying, boycotting companies...... standing up for what they believe in. Until the goverment takes charge.....the people will have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2007, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
if you'd like to know why illegals like new mexico, ask gov, bill richardson himself...(his mother was also an illegal immigrant who had an anchor baby...)
also, if you'd like to know why albuquerque is a sanctuary city, ask mayor marty chavez...i'm sure he'd answer your question...lol...never in your wildest dreams.
trust me, neither will answer, because absolute power corrupts absolutely...
they both feel they have no-one to answer to, but the illegals they cater to... and any hispanic vote they can muster up...
but hispanics in new mexico are sick and tired, too, of their antics, and hopefully will vote each out of office for their failure to protect their community.
the very last person i'll ever vote for in '08 is richardson...no matter who his running mate is...even if she was mother theresa...
and i would encourage others to do the same.
anyone have a favorite candidate yet? i'd like to research their record.
Bill Richardson's father was a US citizen so even if his mom was here illegally (which I doubt), he would not have qualified as an 'anchor baby'.

Now on to 'Hispanics' screaming racism-------the 'La Raza' types need to be careful.

Most North American Latinos are, ethnically speaking, Native Americans born away from US soil.

That stated: many US born Native Americans (Navajo, Hopi, Cherokee, etc) detest Latinos as it is------and, really dislike the illegal variety.

The cultural differences are huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2007, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
Very well said and thank you for your moderation. You have hit the nail on the head. It is not our fault that the majority of illegals happen to be from Mexico. It is also not our fault that Mexico has made it plain that they are going to take over our country and they plan on doing by demographics. It is being done.
The demographics thing will likely backfire against Mexico: their birthrate is only 2.4 children per woman and dropping------the replacement level is 2.1.

If anything: Mexico would be wise to be concerned about illegal immigration on their southern borders. Read that Guatamala and even Belize-----and, the latter nation is a former British colony (British Honduras).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2007, 10:49 PM
 
547 posts, read 1,044,546 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The demographics thing will likely backfire against Mexico: their birthrate is only 2.4 children per woman and dropping------the replacement level is 2.1.

If anything: Mexico would be wise to be concerned about illegal immigration on their southern borders. Read that Guatamala and even Belize-----and, the latter nation is a former British colony (British Honduras).
Ah, but their immigration laws are MUCH stricter than ours, and their law enforcement including their border guards don't have their hands tied either, unlike ours. They don't hesitate to jail indefinitely or even on occasion shoot illegal aliens on their soil and they don't have to worry about hurting anyone's feelings or causing an uproar by asking for proof of citizenship if they suspect someone isn't legal. Yet the Mexican government criticizes us whenever we try to pass our own stricter policies or even enforce those we already have.

Last edited by Arizona Annie; 09-22-2007 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2007, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
Ah, but their immigration laws are MUCH stricter than ours, and their law enforcement including their border guards don't have their hands tied either, unlike ours. They don't hesitate to jail indefinitely or even on occasion shoot illegal aliens on their soil and they don't have to worry about hurting anyone's feelings or causing an uproar by asking for proof of citizenship if they suspect someone isn't legal. Yet the Mexican government criticizes us whenever we try to pass our own stricter policies or even enforce those we already have.
You are correct; and, several Mexican lawmakers are admitting that their own double standard of treating illegals from further south does not help their quest for amnesty NOB for Mexicans.

My 'gut' tells me that the USA will wind up with the northern tier of Mexican states-------apparently Nuevo Leon, etc. are pissed at having to financially subsidize Chiapas, etc. So; they may wind up pulling a 'Texas' (when the Lone Star State told Mexico to buzz off back in 1836) and apply to the USA. N-L evidently is almost at USA levels of affluence with its industry, etc. Money tends to follow money as well as questers of social stability seeking out kindred societies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top