U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:23 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,791,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Short answer:

Because we're better than they are.

Long answer:

Just because other countries have unfair, repressive laws doesn't give us an excuse to act the same way. Yes, other countries have extremely oppressive laws. Oppressive to those of other faiths. Oppressive to women. Oppressive to free speech. That's not what the United States is about.

The fact is that if a student chooses to wear a sari, a robe, a turban, a yarmulke, or whatever, as long as the dress is within the bounds of decency, then leave them alone. Their sari or yarmulke isn't hurting me.

This is the United States of America. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for everyone. A Muslim's student's clothes are not infringing upon my life, liberty, or the pursuite of my happiness. As Jefferson said: It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. Therefore, it's none of my business.

I sooo love you and your answers Mark, you definitely rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 05:33 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,139,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies View Post
If all it takes is a Jesus shirt to annoy people, where do I get one?!

Magpies

Magpies....You crack me up.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:34 PM

Well, I do agree that we (those who follow under the Word of Christianity...any denomination) should not be banned from wearing crosses, etc. if we allow children of other religions to wear such paraphenalia from their religions. However, if it's done correctly and equally, and either we all can or cannot, then I see no big deal. However, if one of you has a problem with treatment (such as not being allowed to wear a cross while a muslim women wears her clothing, etc.), then I say speak out. Don't be afraid. I'd like to tell you a little story about speaking out and winning. When 9/11 happned, my younger cousin was still in college, he dormed. After 9/11, he hung a huge, I mean huge American flag out of his window somehow (it was so huge, it came just slightly above the dorm below his). He was proud to be an American, and everyone was saying to put your flags out and show your patriotism. Anyway, the college, actually, University (won't mention names but it is here in NJ) told my cousin he had to take it down. When he asked why, because it wasn't blocking anyone's window or anything, they told him that he was offending people of other religions and countries by putting that huge flag out. He said he didn't care. They told him they would expel him from school if he didn't obey. They had the fire department there to tell him to take it down but when they saw it wasn't causing any fire risks, they told them he didn't have to take it down for fire purposes. The University continued to pursue this and basically on a daily basis, threatened my cousin. He was in the Dean's office, I think he may have been sent home from classes (I'm not positive about that though), but they harassed him big time. Well, being from Toms River, he ended up in the TR newspapers and on NJN, the news channel and the NJ radio station. They interviewed him and his words were "I am an American, I have the right to honor my country and show my patriotism for all of the people who have died honoring my country and protecting my rights to live here. It is an American flag and I am waving it in America. Instead of listening to people who are not of this country and telling me I am offending them, you should be sending them out of this country if they are not in support of what we represent. You can throw me out of school but I will just wave my flag somewhere else." Guess who was allowed to leave his flag up? That was a 21 year old who spoke out like that and made a difference!!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 05:40 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,139,424 times
Excellent story.

I have had my flag hanging since that day.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:34 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,795,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Well, I do agree that we (those who follow under the Word of Christianity...any denomination) should not be banned from wearing crosses, etc. if we allow children of other religions to wear such paraphenalia from their religions. However, if it's done correctly and equally, and either we all can or cannot, then I see no big deal. However, if one of you has a problem with treatment (such as not being allowed to wear a cross while a muslim women wears her clothing, etc.), then I say speak out. Don't be afraid. I'd like to tell you a little story about speaking out and winning. When 9/11 happned, my younger cousin was still in college, he dormed. After 9/11, he hung a huge, I mean huge American flag out of his window somehow (it was so huge, it came just slightly above the dorm below his). He was proud to be an American, and everyone was saying to put your flags out and show your patriotism. Anyway, the college, actually, University (won't mention names but it is here in NJ) told my cousin he had to take it down. When he asked why, because it wasn't blocking anyone's window or anything, they told him that he was offending people of other religions and countries by putting that huge flag out. He said he didn't care. They told him they would expel him from school if he didn't obey. They had the fire department there to tell him to take it down but when they saw it wasn't causing any fire risks, they told them he didn't have to take it down for fire purposes. The University continued to pursue this and basically on a daily basis, threatened my cousin. He was in the Dean's office, I think he may have been sent home from classes (I'm not positive about that though), but they harassed him big time. Well, being from Toms River, he ended up in the TR newspapers and on NJN, the news channel and the NJ radio station. They interviewed him and his words were "I am an American, I have the right to honor my country and show my patriotism for all of the people who have died honoring my country and protecting my rights to live here. It is an American flag and I am waving it in America. Instead of listening to people who are not of this country and telling me I am offending them, you should be sending them out of this country if they are not in support of what we represent. You can throw me out of school but I will just wave my flag somewhere else." Guess who was allowed to leave his flag up? That was a 21 year old who spoke out like that and made a difference!!!!

Great story Pixie, I'm glad he won. I just can't believe what has become of our Country, it makes me want to throw up. It's all because of these Liberals that are trying to water down our country and what we believe. If these people ever get in power again God help us.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:29 AM

246 posts, read 205,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
A lesson to be learned here: those who are easily offended, deserve to be.

Good for him.

Magpies

Old 09-20-2006, 03:11 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,090,276 times
Quote:
Absolutely!! The last I read, neither the Constitution nor the Bill of Rights gives a guarantee of protection to anyone from being offended. Some folks need to grow a thicker skin. They act like little children in a sandbox. Actually, worse. Once kids get over their tiff, they're usually friends again. But, adults make legal threats against one another. Good for that young man! If some folks don't like our country or our flag, then don't let the door hit ya in the backside!

Old 09-20-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Magpies

I definitely second that.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:49 PM

421 posts, read 339,568 times
Default dress codes

I would think there'd be a dress code for one thing..and whatever happened to "when in Rome"? Uniforms is the only way to keep peace. They have a dress code here now...no ghetto dressing what so ever. No Goth, no Punk, no freak. It's working great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or