Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:55 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,243 times

Advertisements

In yesterday's Houston Chronicle there was an article about what some area school districts are doing to accomodate Muslim students regarding dress codes. It really made me angry because if anyone from a Western country in general, the US specifically, were to go to an Islamic country and try to wear a Christian cross, carry a Bible, or speak of God in a public forum, the consequences would be immediate and severe. Add to that the results of appearing in public with bare arms, makeup or short skirts and you have an idea of just how intolerant Islamic countries are. My question is, considering those prohibited behaviors in Islamic countries why does the United States in general and school districts and work places in particular have to allow Muslims to appear in their body-covering clothing and head scarves and observe all the other tenents of their religion? Americans (and others as well) who go to Islamic countries to work are forbidden by law from bringing in any symbols of Christianity even if they are going to be living in a western living compound. We bend so far over backwards to accomodate anyone coming in to our country and I wonder why. Why do we excuse students from having to adhere to the same dress standards as our home-grown students just because they did back home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 02:07 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,461,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
In yesterday's Houston Chronicle there was an article about what some area school districts are doing to accomodate Muslim students regarding dress codes. It really made me angry because if anyone from a Western country in general, the US specifically, were to go to an Islamic country and try to wear a Christian cross, carry a Bible, or speak of God in a public forum, the consequences would be immediate and severe. Add to that the results of appearing in public with bare arms, makeup or short skirts and you have an idea of just how intolerant Islamic countries are. My question is, considering those prohibited behaviors in Islamic countries why does the United States in general and school districts and work places in particular have to allow Muslims to appear in their body-covering clothing and head scarves and observe all the other tenents of their religion? Americans (and others as well) who go to Islamic countries to work are forbidden by law from bringing in any symbols of Christianity even if they are going to be living in a western living compound. We bend so far over backwards to accomodate anyone coming in to our country and I wonder why. Why do we excuse students from having to adhere to the same dress standards as our home-grown students just because they did back home?

This anything goes except Christianity concept doesn't seem to be going well in Europe. But I'm a conservative not a progressive and I don't smoke weed so my thoughts are not as free thinking but they are clear thinking

Old 09-18-2006, 02:52 PM

246 posts, read 327,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Why does allowing muslim dress at school bother you? The fact that one can wear a hijab, a yarmulka or clown shoes to school is *exactly* why we're cool & they're not.

You're absolutely right about the land of Allahzombies, they'd behead you for wearing a cross to school. That's why that place is a benighted, godforsaken place that nobody in their right mind should visit -- let alone live in. Back here in the land o' the free, you can do your thing.

Ain't it sweet?

Magpies

Old 09-18-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies View Post
Why does allowing muslim dress at school bother you? The fact that one can wear a hijab, a yarmulka or clown shoes to school is *exactly* why we're cool & they're not.

You're absolutely right about the land of Allahzombies, they'd behead you for wearing a cross to school. That's why that place is a beknighted, godforsaken place that nobody in their right mind should visit -- let alone live in. Back here in the land o' the free, you can do your thing.

Ain't it sweet?

Magpies

I personally don't care what they wear, but let's have the same rules for wearing a Jesus t-shirt.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
I personally don't care what they wear, but let's have the same rules for wearing a Jesus t-shirt.
Absolutely. And let's not forget Satan and L. Ron Hubbard.

Magpies

Old 09-18-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. And let's not forget Satan and L. Ron Hubbard.

Magpies

Oh gosh Satan, I don't think schools care about a Satan t-shirt as long as it doesn't have profanity on it, I think they fly under the radar. Who cares about L. Ron Hubbard too, that doesn't bother me either. It's Jesus that inflames people like nothing else.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:16 PM

872 posts, read 3,579,945 times
Quote:
.....It's Jesus that inflames people like nothing else.....
Wonder why that is? Hmmmmm...

Old 09-18-2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
Wonder why that is? Hmmmmm...

I know why, but I think the non-Christians would be confused.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I know why, but I think the non-Christians would be confused.
If all it takes is a Jesus shirt to annoy people, where do I get one?!

Magpies

Old 09-18-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
If all it takes is a Jesus shirt to annoy people, where do I get one?!

Magpies
Your local Christian store should have one

I have to stay off of these other topic forums for a little bit, the natives are starting to get restles around here.

I'll see you around Mag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration