Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

I hope we someday "Need" more immigration from Mexico. In the mean time, not so much.

Navarrette: The departing Mexicans | UTSanDiego.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 02:01 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I hope we someday "Need" more immigration from Mexico. In the mean time, not so much.

Navarrette: The departing Mexicans | UTSanDiego.com

I agree with this 100%:

Quote:
Rattled by changing demographics, Americans have complained for decades that they want less immigration from Mexico. In a few years, as chores go undone and prices go up, they’ll be complaining that they want more.
It was the Mexicans that supplied the workforce for the housing boom, it will happen again.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,075,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I agree with this 100%:

It was the Mexicans that supplied the workforce for the housing boom, it will happen again.
Your agreement with Naverettes last paragraph is but speculation. If it was the Mexicans that supplied the workforce (assuming as you claimed) can we also assume it was the Mexicans that reduced wages on the other employees? Thus due to lower wages, reducing tax revenue, reducing the ability to make it to the middle class, etc, etc, etc.?

Don't forget, for every action there is a reaction.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Your agreement with Naverettes last paragraph is but speculation. If it was the Mexicans that supplied the workforce (assuming as you claimed) can we also assume it was the Mexicans that reduced wages on the other employees? Thus due to lower wages, reducing tax revenue, reducing the ability to make it to the middle class, etc, etc, etc.?

Don't forget, for every action there is a reaction.
Chicken or egg... many say it was the availability of low cost labor that fueled the boom.

Never-the-less, it was a boom and Americans definitely benefited from Mexicans being here to work.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:18 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
I agree with this 100%:

They may have supplied some but displaced even more.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Chicken or egg... many say it was the availability of low cost labor that fueled the boom.

Never-the-less, it was a boom and Americans definitely benefited from Mexicans being here to work.
Many say it was low cost gov't loans and federal loan guarantees that fueled the housing boom and lead to the bubble bursting. The same is shown in Ireland, China, Europe, yet I'll bet the illegal labor they used there (very little if any at all) had the effects as you claim they had here.

Which Americans benefited? Not the working class as there is no definitive proof that the money the builder saved on wages was a contributing factor in lowering the cost of a house.

You have not shown or proven that Americans definitely benefited from Mexicans being here to work, this is but your assertion and opinion.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Which Americans benefited? Not the working class as there is no definitive proof that the money the builder saved on wages was a contributing factor in lowering the cost of a house.

You have shown or proven that Americans definitely benefited from Mexicans being here to work, this is but your assertion and opinion.
The millions that built, sold and flipped houses benefited.

Yes it is an opinion, do you have an opposing view otherwise supported? Mr. Lawyer...

Old 04-30-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:

The millions that built, sold and flipped houses benefited.

Yes it is an opinion, do you have an opposing view otherwise supported? Mr. Lawyer...
Mr. Lawyer?

I agree, the people that hired them benefited, while the rest of the population paid for them. I gave my opposing view above: Many say it was low cost gov't loans and federal loan guarantees that fueled the housing boom and lead to the bubble bursting. The same is shown in Ireland, China, Europe, yet I'll bet the illegal labor they used there (very little if any at all) had the effects as you claim they had here.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:19 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
I agree with this 100%:

No country's citizens in the world wants their demographics changed via illegal immigration. What part of that aren't you getting? Would Mexico welcome a demographic shift in their country by an invasion of millions of Chinese? You won't answer that though, will you?

Illegal Mexicans took over the construction industry and forced Americans out of their jobs and you're ok with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration