U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2012, 02:56 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,929 posts, read 30,173,166 times
Reputation: 17748

Advertisements

I hope we someday "Need" more immigration from Mexico. In the mean time, not so much.

Navarrette: The departing Mexicans | UTSanDiego.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2012, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,067 posts, read 15,502,486 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I hope we someday "Need" more immigration from Mexico. In the mean time, not so much.

Navarrette: The departing Mexicans | UTSanDiego.com

I agree with this 100%:

Quote:
Rattled by changing demographics, Americans have complained for decades that they want less immigration from Mexico. In a few years, as chores go undone and prices go up, they’ll be complaining that they want more.
It was the Mexicans that supplied the workforce for the housing boom, it will happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2012, 03:12 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,715,868 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I agree with this 100%:



It was the Mexicans that supplied the workforce for the housing boom, it will happen again.
Your agreement with Naverettes last paragraph is but speculation. If it was the Mexicans that supplied the workforce (assuming as you claimed) can we also assume it was the Mexicans that reduced wages on the other employees? Thus due to lower wages, reducing tax revenue, reducing the ability to make it to the middle class, etc, etc, etc.?

Don't forget, for every action there is a reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,067 posts, read 15,502,486 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Your agreement with Naverettes last paragraph is but speculation. If it was the Mexicans that supplied the workforce (assuming as you claimed) can we also assume it was the Mexicans that reduced wages on the other employees? Thus due to lower wages, reducing tax revenue, reducing the ability to make it to the middle class, etc, etc, etc.?

Don't forget, for every action there is a reaction.
Chicken or egg... many say it was the availability of low cost labor that fueled the boom.

Never-the-less, it was a boom and Americans definitely benefited from Mexicans being here to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,115,427 times
Reputation: 2199
From the article:


I doubt we will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2012, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I agree with this 100%:



It was the Mexicans that supplied the workforce for the housing boom, it will happen again.
They may have supplied some but displaced even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2012, 03:21 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,715,868 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Chicken or egg... many say it was the availability of low cost labor that fueled the boom.

Never-the-less, it was a boom and Americans definitely benefited from Mexicans being here to work.
Many say it was low cost gov't loans and federal loan guarantees that fueled the housing boom and lead to the bubble bursting. The same is shown in Ireland, China, Europe, yet I'll bet the illegal labor they used there (very little if any at all) had the effects as you claim they had here.

Which Americans benefited? Not the working class as there is no definitive proof that the money the builder saved on wages was a contributing factor in lowering the cost of a house.

You have not shown or proven that Americans definitely benefited from Mexicans being here to work, this is but your assertion and opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2012, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,067 posts, read 15,502,486 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Which Americans benefited? Not the working class as there is no definitive proof that the money the builder saved on wages was a contributing factor in lowering the cost of a house.

You have shown or proven that Americans definitely benefited from Mexicans being here to work, this is but your assertion and opinion.
The millions that built, sold and flipped houses benefited.

Yes it is an opinion, do you have an opposing view otherwise supported? Mr. Lawyer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,715,868 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post


The millions that built, sold and flipped houses benefited.

Yes it is an opinion, do you have an opposing view otherwise supported? Mr. Lawyer...
Mr. Lawyer?

I agree, the people that hired them benefited, while the rest of the population paid for them. I gave my opposing view above: Many say it was low cost gov't loans and federal loan guarantees that fueled the housing boom and lead to the bubble bursting. The same is shown in Ireland, China, Europe, yet I'll bet the illegal labor they used there (very little if any at all) had the effects as you claim they had here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I agree with this 100%:



It was the Mexicans that supplied the workforce for the housing boom, it will happen again.
No country's citizens in the world wants their demographics changed via illegal immigration. What part of that aren't you getting? Would Mexico welcome a demographic shift in their country by an invasion of millions of Chinese? You won't answer that though, will you?

Illegal Mexicans took over the construction industry and forced Americans out of their jobs and you're ok with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top