U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:43 AM

12,620 posts, read 17,690,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Lets renounce our citizenship, DWI, kill people, not pay taxes and see if government lets that happen like they do the illegals.
Why doesn't the IRS have a interest in the illegals not paying taxes?

Old 09-19-2007, 06:40 PM

63 posts, read 139,556 times
yeah they want special rights
let them learn english
how about they just get out of here

Old 09-19-2007, 08:27 PM

23,003 posts, read 31,957,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Why doesn't the IRS have a interest in the illegals not paying taxes?
they are too busy auditing americans who do pay their taxes.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:19 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
they are too busy auditing americans who do pay their taxes.
Maybe they need more Spanish speaking IRS agents.
Back to the OP, I can think of no better way to insure that MD's don't practice in TX than to require that they speak Spanish. If TX doesn't want them, hey it's no big deal. Another state will. If the top 100 orthopedic surgeons in the US don't speak Spanish, I guess the citizens of TX will just have to manage without them.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:25 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,141,388 times
nobody should be forced to learn another language to cater to someone who is arriving new.... if people wish to learn it to work as middle ground for them on their own accord.. then that is their choice... but until we mandate that english is our national language.. there isn't much you can do under the law.. but making someone do something like learn a language should be against the constitution... thats what translators are for.. and if the hospital can charge me for every little thing I use while going to the hospital.. then they can send them a bill for an interpreter..

I believe in national health care.. but until we deal with the problems we have with illegals who already bleed the current system... we're setting it up for failure...

Old 09-19-2007, 11:37 PM

11,019 posts, read 18,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
Give it time and the whole La Raza gang will be pushing for it, just as they did for all teachers and pricinples to learn and know Spanish because the little kiddies are apparently too lazy to learn English.
strange,I spent several weeks in San Antonio this year,I think I could count on 2 hands the amount of white and black people I saw there while most people were of Mexican heritage.

Funny thing is though,every store,every gas station,every food place I went to EVERYBODY who was of Mexican heritage spoke perfect english to me.And was nice to me also.In fact I can only think of one person who didn't speak english and that was a guy who needed a car jump.

Do I think immigration should be kept in check?yes,but generalization and assuming can be wrong.I also got the feeling that many of these people was pro American also.There may be different attitudes in different cities I don't know but San Antonio I can say was not like this thread is implying.

I tell ya,some posters here who are just relying on what other people say and just believe that all Mexicans in Texas are onesided are being dupped,and I was too which is why once I was there I was taken back by all the misinformation I had heard and assumed to be true.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:25 AM

537 posts, read 312,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
strange,I spent several weeks in San Antonio this year,I think I could count on 2 hands the amount of white and black people I saw there while most people were of Mexican heritage.

Funny thing is though,every store,every gas station,every food place I went to EVERYBODY who was of Mexican heritage spoke perfect english to me.And was nice to me also.In fact I can only think of one person who didn't speak english and that was a guy who needed a car jump.

Do I think immigration should be kept in check?yes,but generalization and assuming can be wrong.I also got the feeling that many of these people was pro American also.There may be different attitudes in different cities I don't know but San Antonio I can say was not like this thread is implying.

I tell ya,some posters here who are just relying on what other people say and just believe that all Mexicans in Texas are onesided are being dupped,and I was too which is why once I was there I was taken back by all the misinformation I had heard and assumed to be true.
Then you are the only human being who saw nothing but Hispanics who spoke English. Either that, or you are lying. You can take your pick. I have been Houston many times in my life and it has beena majority Spanish speaking people for years now, as well as El Paso. I can't wait for you to tell us all how you found no one speaking Spanish in E#l Paso and everyone speaking perfect English. Let us know when you want to tell us that one.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:42 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Unless they were legal, born here, I could see them speaking english. I have never come across an illegal speaking english only. I have had dealings with some that DO speak and understand english, but refused to use it, said it was a dirty language, and why should they. I have friends from Texas that moved away because of the influx of illegals.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:09 AM

537 posts, read 312,205 times
I am sorry but there is no way that I believe what he posted. I can't help it at all since I have been to Houston, Dallas, El Paso and many other Texas cities and Hispanics don't just speak English in those cities at all. In fact, Houston is a well known sanctuary city and has tons of illegals all over. You are right Nea1, the illegals seem to be raking over the state in droves. I do notice that so many people have no idea what the illegal problem is doing to this country because they don't live near it. I go to visit my brotherand his family, who happen to be Hispanic, the BP agent, at leasy 4-6 times each year. I know much more of what is happening with and about illegals because I see it myself all of the time. My brother has changed areas where he worked a few times so because I v isit him and the family, I have seen California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas and have family, other than my brother, in each state I mentioned. Las Cruces was the best place when it came to English speaking people and they had very heavy accents but most Hispanics in the area spoke only broken English and many did not speak English at all. At least they said they didn't speak English. After seeing as much as I have, that is usually a lie anyway.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:56 AM

11,019 posts, read 18,109,464 times
Well I'm not lying,have no reason too.Going into a Hebb's market,a Fred's fish place,a Jack in the box,gas station,or even a convience store everybody I talked to spoke english,did I talk to every single person in the Hebb's?no.They may indeed talk in spanish amoung themselves I dunno and I can't speak for Houston,just San Antonio.El Paso?only spent a night there so I cant comment on that though it did have a different vibe than SA.

Probably most of the people I did meet were established in America.I did not say I support illegal immigration,of course I don't but what I'm trying to say that just because you see a Mexican don't immediately assume the worse,and that can be said for any type of people.

But you know,when I meet any person I try to be nice and respectful to them,that probably has a difference in how I'm treated in turn.At stop lights in San Antonio I sawseveral cars with American flag stickers,right next to a Mexican flag sticker,I got the impression from a few that while they were proud of their heritage they were also proud of America,heck I even heard rock n roll blaring from the cars,when I look over,yep hispanics in the car.

In closing,yes immigration needs reform,follow my other posts in the political section you'll see I support that but lumping all people into one catagory is misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or