U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:39 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,222,879 times

Advertisements

Cities and states that provide sanctuary to illegal immigrants are making most Americans crazy. Our elected officials do little or nothing to change the current status. I have been thinking long and hard about what we as individual citizens can do to rise up against these sanctuary policies. I think I may have a solution. I ask that each and everyone of us boycott tourism in states and cities that refuse to cooperate with ICE or continue to provide sanctuary to illegals. We Americans should refuse to spend our tourism dollars in these locales. Since money talks, we can hope to see some results if we are able to reach enough people. Will you help me spread the word?

Old 09-19-2007, 02:34 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,319 times
Great idea! How do we find out if a city is a sanctuary city or not?

Old 09-20-2007, 08:02 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,697,221 times
Default search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
you can search the web or here and find stuff but the ones I have seen I didnt agree with totally, there are plenty more that arent included.

Also look at stated that are becoming like this.

I think that once the problem is worse that American cities will be highly valued, unless amensty is approved.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:11 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,222,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Thanks, Hawkeye. This list is from Bill OReilly's website. Also, let's not forget Virginia Beach, VA where an illegal alien hit and killed two girls where they apparently have a no ask no tell policy. And the governor of VA refuses to let state police work with ICE.

Below is a list of cities and counties that have sanctuary policies, according to a report by the Congressional Research Service from June 2007.

Alaska
Anchorage
Fairbanks
Arizona
Chandler
California
Fresno
Los Angeles
San Diego
San Francisco
Sonoma County
Connecticut
New Haven
Illinois
Evanston
Cicero
Massachusetts
Cambridge
Orleans
Maine
Portland
Maryland
Baltimore
Takoma Park
Michigan
Ann Arbor
Detroit
Minnesota
Minneapolis
North Carolina
Durham
New Mexico
Albuquerque
Aztec
Rio Arriba County
Santa Fe
New York
New York City
Oregon
Ashland
Gaston
Marion County
Texas
Austin
Katy
Washington
Seattle
Wisconsin
Madison
There are two statewide policies regarding providing sanctuary for illegal aliens:

In May 2003, Alaska's state legislature passed a joint resolution prohibiting state agencies from using resources or institutions for the purpose of enforcing federal immigration laws.
In 1987, Oregon passed a law that prohibits state and local law enforcement agencies from using agency moneys, equipment or personnel for the purpose of detecting or apprehending foreign citizens based on violation of federal immigration law. Oregon law, however, does permit their law enforcement officers to exchange information with federal authorities to verify the immigration status of an individual arrested for criminal offenses.
Most cities that are considered sanctuary cities have adopted a "don't ask-don't tell" policy where they don't require their employees, including law enforcement officers, to report to federal officials aliens who may be illegally present in the country. Localities, and in some cases individual police departments, in such areas that are considered "sanctuary cities," have utilized various mechanisms to ensure that unauthorized aliens who may be present in their jurisdiction illegally are not turned in to federal authorities. Some municipalities address the issue through resolutions, executive orders or city ordinances, while many police departments address the issues through special orders, departmental policy and general order.
Posted by BillOReilly.com Staff at 5:28 PM

Old 09-20-2007, 02:23 PM

Default all the us

Soon every state will be on this list. It is growing so fast. The US lets them in and as long as they continue to get everything handed to them, it will not stop.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:33 PM

99 posts, read 322,668 times
Default I'm on board.

This is one of those things our own government is letting happen to us, that
we can shut down. Some places are coming to there senses, and this is
something we can change. Just call, write, e-mail, organize anything you can
to get voices heard and spread the word. Try to make educated voting decisions even though all choices usually are slimey and corrupt in one way
or the other!

Good job people, we don't live in a fantasy land of perfection, we still have
to fight for the things most people take for granted. The same people
responsable for this illegal immigration mess are planning many other things
that help them and hurt you!!!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:31 PM

7 posts, read 24,127 times
Sanctuary city, sanctuary, sanctuary city list, Ohio, jobs, OJJPAC, list, justice, soverignty, citizenship, illegal alien, immigration, amnesty, sanctuary cities, undocumented, ICE, NYC, Huston, Chicago, Phoenix, L.A.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:17 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,547,328 times
with all the top tourist destinations for foreign visitors on that list, i'm not sure how effective a boycott of places like LA, NY, SF, and south florida would be. these destinations draw BIG tourism dollars from outside the country, and with the dollar so weak against the euro and the GBP right now, the US is a cheap vacation for many europeans. whatever impact americans might make by avoiding travel to these cities, foreign visitors will more than offset.

foremost, however, i don't like the boycott idea because if it is successful in putting a dent in the economies of the targeted cities, it will be the workers who will suffer first, as business responds to decreased bottom lines the way they always do: laying off workers. by the time the cities' fathers open their eyes to what's going on (if ever), lots of ordinary folks working for airlines, hotels, restaurants, amusement parks, retail stores, and so on might be already out of work. is that what you really want to achieve?

i think those of us in states with an initiative and referendum process should use this most important democratic tool to challenge official sanctuary policies where they are in place. the elected officials at all levels of government are too busy pandering to the special interest groups to do the right thing, so we need to take control of the issue away from them, and get it on the ballots.

click below to find out if your state has I&R. if your state doesn't have it, your city or county might.

What is I&R?

Old 09-21-2007, 07:33 AM

Default whats effective

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
with all the top tourist destinations for foreign visitors on that list, i'm not sure how effective a boycott of places like LA, NY, SF, and south florida would be. these destinations draw BIG tourism dollars from outside the country, and with the dollar so weak against the euro and the GBP right now, the US is a cheap vacation for many europeans. whatever impact americans might make by avoiding travel to these cities, foreign visitors will more than offset.

foremost, however, i don't like the boycott idea because if it is successful in putting a dent in the economies of the targeted cities, it will be the workers who will suffer first, as business responds to decreased bottom lines the way they always do: laying off workers. by the time the cities' fathers open their eyes to what's going on (if ever), lots of ordinary folks working for airlines, hotels, restaurants, amusement parks, retail stores, and so on might be already out of work. is that what you really want to achieve?

i think those of us in states with an initiative and referendum process should use this most important democratic tool to challenge official sanctuary policies where they are in place. the elected officials at all levels of government are too busy pandering to the special interest groups to do the right thing, so we need to take control of the issue away from them, and get it on the ballots.

click below to find out if your state has I&R. if your state doesn't have it, your city or county might.

What is I&R?
We need to do whats effective. $$ is what drives this so doing what we can to stop the flow of money to them and their supporters will help. Voting? While I still do it, you can see that what is said and done are always different after these people are in office. And many dont trust the voting itself since sooo many times there are reports of illegals voting and "machine errors".

$$$$, since thats what is driving this. The American people have more power than they know, the problem is we are not organized.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:03 AM

2,516 posts, read 7,547,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
We need to do whats effective. $$ is what drives this so doing what we can to stop the flow of money to them and their supporters will help. Voting? While I still do it, you can see that what is said and done are always different after these people are in office. And many dont trust the voting itself since sooo many times there are reports of illegals voting and "machine errors".

$$$$, since thats what is driving this. The American people have more power than they know, the problem is we are not organized.
i'm not speaking of voting for people; we need to vote for policies. i already know that the people suck!

anything that causes AMERICANS to lose their jobs en masse is ultimately ineffective and undesirable, regardless of what else it accomplishes. i'm not interested in punishing americans who can't help that they have to work for a living in the places you want to boycott. the fat-cats will always be fat, and the politicians still won't have a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or