Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:06 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,458,314 times

Advertisements

Mexico's National Anthem

Mexicans, at the cry of war,
prepare the steel and the steed,
and may the earth shake at its core
to the resounding roar of the cannon.

I

Gird, oh country, your brow with olive
the divine archangel of peace,
for your eternal destiny was written
in the heavens by the hand of God.

But if some strange enemy should dare
to profane your ground with his step,
think, oh beloved country, that heaven
has given you a soldier in every son.

Chorus

II

War, war without truce to any who dare
to tarnish the country's coat-of-arms! War, war! Take the national pennants
and soak them in waves of blood.

War, war! In the mountain, in the valley,
the cannons thunder in horrid unison
and the resonant echoes
cry out union, liberty!

Chorus

III

Oh country, 'ere your children
defenseless bend their neck to the yoke,
may your fields be watered with blood,
may they trod upon blood.

And may your temples, palaces and towers
collapse with horrid clamor,
and their ruins live on to say:
This land belonged to a thousand heroes.

Chorus

IV

Oh, country, country, your children swear
to breathe their last in your honor,
if the trumpet with warlike accent
should call them to fight with courage.

For you the olive branches!
A reminder for them of glory!
A laurel of victory for you!
For them a tomb with honor!

Chorus

Mexicans, at the cry of war,
prepare the steel and the steed,
and may the earth shake at its core
to the resounding roar of the cannon.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:04 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,592,757 times
WOW! I think our is kinda bad, with all the references to fighting (I would prefer 'America the Beautiful' as our anthem).

But "soak the flag in blood", "trod on blood"!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Pretty freaking hostile!

Old 09-20-2007, 12:51 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,620,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
WOW! I think our is kinda bad, with all the references to fighting (I would prefer 'America the Beautiful' as our anthem).

But "soak the flag in blood", "trod on blood"!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Pretty freaking hostile!
Yea, nice little diddy there. I like what they would do if another tread on their land. maybe we should take that stance!!!

Old 09-20-2007, 02:37 PM

520 posts, read 1,849,645 times
Wow! Their national anthem is in English?

Old 09-20-2007, 02:55 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,425,033 times
An American trying to depict Mexicans as violent...brings one word to mind: IRONY.

Am I safe to assume the impetus of this thread was to depict the Mexican people as violent? I hope that wasn't the message.
Because they are far from it, I would say the USA has some pretty big wars going on right now and Mexico has none.

However, here is some history about the Lyrics if you are so inclined:

Lyrics competition

Francisco González Bocanegra

Jaime Nunó
On November 12, 1853, President Antonio López de Santa Anna announced a competition to write a national anthem for Mexico. The competition offered a prize for the best poetic composition representing patriotic ideals. Francisco González Bocanegra, a talented poet, was not interested in participating in the competition. He argued that writing love poems involved very different skills from the ones required to write a national anthem. His fiancée, Guadalupe González del Pino (or Pili), had undaunted faith in her fiancé's poetic skills and was displeased with his constant refusal to participate in spite of her constant prodding and requests from their friends. Finally she decided to take matters into her own hands. Under false pretenses, she lured him to a secluded bedroom in her parents' house, locked him into the room, and refused to let him out until he produced an entry for the competition. Inside the room in which he was temporarily imprisoned were pictures depicting various events in Mexican history which helped to inspire his work. After four hours of fluent (albeit forced) inspiration, Francisco regained his freedom by slipping all ten verses of his creation under the door. After Francisco received approval from his fiancée and her father, he submitted the poem and won the competition by unanimous vote.[1] González was announced the winner in the publication Official Journal of the Federation (DOF) on February 3, 1854.

Right on Wiki:
Himno Nacional Mexicano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-20-2007, 03:01 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,458,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
An American trying to depict Mexicans as violent...brings one word to mind: IRONY.

Am I safe to assume the impetus of this thread was to depict the Mexican people as violent? I hope that wasn't the message.
Because they are far from it, I would say the USA has some pretty big wars going on right now and Mexico has none.

However, here is some history about the Lyrics if you are so inclined:

Lyrics competition

Francisco González Bocanegra

Jaime Nunó
On November 12, 1853, President Antonio López de Santa Anna announced a competition to write a national anthem for Mexico. The competition offered a prize for the best poetic composition representing patriotic ideals. Francisco González Bocanegra, a talented poet, was not interested in participating in the competition. He argued that writing love poems involved very different skills from the ones required to write a national anthem. His fiancée, Guadalupe González del Pino (or Pili), had undaunted faith in her fiancé's poetic skills and was displeased with his constant refusal to participate in spite of her constant prodding and requests from their friends. Finally she decided to take matters into her own hands. Under false pretenses, she lured him to a secluded bedroom in her parents' house, locked him into the room, and refused to let him out until he produced an entry for the competition. Inside the room in which he was temporarily imprisoned were pictures depicting various events in Mexican history which helped to inspire his work. After four hours of fluent (albeit forced) inspiration, Francisco regained his freedom by slipping all ten verses of his creation under the door. After Francisco received approval from his fiancée and her father, he submitted the poem and won the competition by unanimous vote.[1] González was announced the winner in the publication Official Journal of the Federation (DOF) on February 3, 1854.

Right on Wiki:
Himno Nacional Mexicano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wow! Kind of makes you wonder what went on in that secluded bedroom to come up with lyrics like that.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:26 PM

16,233 posts, read 27,278,222 times
I suppose if I had to pen verses after false imprisonment, my thoughts would have been pretty violent too. I would not be proud of this story.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,006,064 times
Remember the Alamo.

The Mexican army sounded the Deguello, which means no quarter. Then the overwhelming force butchered and murdered the entire small band of Texicans flying the 1826 Mexican flag.

When Sam Houston led the Texicans to victory at San Jacinto, the Mexican army was shown mercy.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
When Sam Houston led the Texicans to victory at San Jacinto, the Mexican army was shown mercy.
Shame. Sam should have returned the "favor".

Old 09-20-2007, 04:02 PM

520 posts, read 1,849,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Shame. Sam should have returned the "favor".
Gimmee a break. You are bitter about a military action that took place over a hundred years ago. You should be proud of Sam for not stooping to that level.

I think this whole thread in general is a little mean spirited. Mexico has its problems. We have our problems including illegal immigrants... the topic of this forum. I don't see how making fun of the Mexican national anthem has anything to do with immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration