U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:37 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,551,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
Haha I do the same thing, speaking German loud is very obnoxious.
note to self: learn german.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 10:37 PM

273 posts, read 178,464 times
[quote=fastfilm;1544504]
I've also found that people "in the system" are polite and accommodating, and illegal foreign nationals are invariably rude and mean-spirited. [quote]

That is so true, and I do make an effort based with those who are polite. It's not hard to distinguish between the two.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:01 PM

13,466 posts, read 14,454,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I suggest that they control their xenophobia and accept the idea that their country is a nation of immigrants that draws strength from a diversity of cultures and opinions.
The US did not get strong due to the current concepts of diversity and multi-culturalism. It grew into it's status as a great nation when immigrants (presumably legal) worked and struggled to assimilate their families into whatever was considered to be the "American way of life" at the time.

We've gone from a melting pot mentality to a mosaic mentality. My guess is that after I'm dead and gone, that will have not been for America's betterment. Our children / grandchildren are going to pay that price.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:47 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,697,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
note to self: learn german.
Yep just a few choice words is all you need. It is a very commanding language, can scare them!!!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:08 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,152,810 times
As far as communicating with the public---legal, illegal or not, if the person on the other end of the phone or the other side of the counter can NOT communicate effectively in English, then I ask for someone who can if that doesn't happen, I leave, or hang up the phone. I know people who move here from other countries have to learn a very difficult language (English) but employers should not put someone in a position to have to communicate with the public if they can't make themselves understood.

I'm not talking about just an accent--I'm talking about not having a basic command of the English language.

Also, I live in the Boston area and some of the local dialect here might as well be foreign language. I've honestly had transactions with people whom I *can NOT* understand, even though they were born and raised here and speak only English!

Other pet peeve though it's not immigration: Companies who outsource tech help, customer service, etc., so that I'm speaking with someone in India, or whereever who also can't speak English.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:12 AM

2,305 posts, read 2,630,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I think thats very funny. I have to try that.

I simply walk away and dont talk to them and DONT DO BUISNESS WITH THEM OR COMPANIES THAT use them. take away the $$$ and they might leave. Also TELL the company that you wont do buisness because of this reason.
I do the exact same thing. Plus I give them a look that would make anyone want to go back to there home country.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:17 PM

556 posts, read 478,278 times
There are a lot of times I have encountered them and they say "You speak Spanish?" and I tell them no, and all the sudden they start speaking English. There are a lot of them who know English, but refuse to speak it unless forced to. If they cannot speak English, I tell them to go somewhere else for business, that we do not tolerate foreigners who refuse to learn English and live in our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration