U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 01:31 PM

273 posts, read 179,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear;1560038
[quote=Nea1;1560846
Just because they maybe nice neighbors, doesnt mean they belong here if they are infact illegal. It also does not justify them breaking our laws.

I agree, but I'm not going to assume they are anything. I will not facilitate or condone breaking the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
It does not change a thing.
They do not need to be here and be warm and welcoming.
They think they do because they want to make a livable wage when they work...something they can't do even when they find work in mexico. And the fact they are willing to leave their homeland behind speaks pretty highly about how much it means to them.

They do need to be 'welcoming' if they want any hope of being welcomed in return.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:41 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,207,434 times
^^^^

I meant they can be warm and welcoming in Mexico as well.

If they cannot make a living wage in their country, maybe they should try and change their country. It would be better for everyone. I know it is obviously not that easy, but that does not give them any rights to come here, and increase our cost of living.

They do not make a living wage here either. They just make chump change, and use up our taxes to survive.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Heck, they may not even be illegal aliens as you formerly suspected.
I'm taking the whole "illegal/legal" issue out because it's not my place to prove and they are doing what they feel is necessary to provide for their family.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Perhaps you'll now be walking a fine line with me, continuing to preach against uncontrolled illegal immigration, and the need for assimilation, while at the same time having to admit to a real admiration for lots of these folks....."
Not quite as simple as "pack 'em up and toss 'em out", is it ?
Thanks for sharing this moment with all of us....macmeal
Pretty much, Macmeal.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Thing is, the OP previously railed against his neighbors when he had not even presented a shred of evidence to prove that they were in fact illegal. All he had were his preconceived notions.
NO...I was adimant about very real law breaking by their 14 year old driving, underage pregancy, and lack of assimilation. Nothing preconcieved about any of that!

Old 09-23-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Has this interaction changed how you feel about the family's 14-year-old child driving every day without a license?

And about how the family tends to view obeying American laws as "optional only?" Has this encounter changed how you'll react to the constant 3:00 a.m. blaring music and sole debris-strewn property in your neighborhood you mentioned? You okay with the increased taxes you'll be paying for services for them, services that you'll never receive? (You claimed no one in the large household appeared to be employed.) You and I will still be taxed ever increasingly to pay for this family, long after the memories of one social day's inclusion because you spoke some Spanish fade away.

I would equate kindness with warning them that their unlicensed child driver will be arrested for driving, and that these parents will have legal repercussions as well. Their not caring about people beyond their immediate circle is unkind, anti-social and contributory to lawlessness overall. U.S. laws are not "optional only."

I will try not to judge people just because they look mexican and don't speak english.

As a direct result of my complaints, the 14 year old was charged with driving without a license, without insurance and fined $500. He is no longer driving. He is no longer looking forward to getting a learners permit next week and driving the car he paid $1,500 for.
I am good with the outcome because I acted as a responsible citizen. I will not hesitate to complain about any law I see broken..by anyone.
The 'optional only' attitude is unacceptable and agree they were not concerned with others outside their immediate circle. That's why I called the police. I feel the $500 fine is just and will carry more weight with his family than my recommendations...which were made previously as well.

My stance on illegal-immigration has not changed, my view of my neighbors has. I doubt I'll soon forget sitting at the wedding table.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:20 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,667,864 times
Quote:
NO...I was adimant about very real law breaking by their 14 year old driving, underage pregancy, and lack of assimilation. Nothing preconcieved about any of that!
Well yeah, but then you wrapped up your diatribe with the implication that they were illegal aliens, a fact which you have not established. Driving without a license is by itself illegal, and you could have nailed the kid just for that....but only for that. But you proceeded to spin a tale of illegal aliens running amok in your neighborhood. You made the inductive leap that because your neighbors behaved in a certain way, therefore they must be illegal aliens. Any native born American could have behaved in exactly the same way.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:32 PM

[quote=ndfmnlf;1561438].... you wrapped up your diatribe with the implication that they were illegal aliens, a fact which you have not established. Driving without a license is by itself illegal, and you could have nailed the kid just for that....but only for that. ...quote]

Their immigration status doesn't matter to me anymore.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:33 PM

13 posts, read 72,564 times
I believe that we should treat each other with respect. I do not agree though that illegal aliens should be allowed to stay. The issue is the "illegal" part. Respect of country is important too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or