U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:14 PM

447 posts, read 705,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Vivski,

I am sorry that happened to your husband, I am sympathetic, same thing happened to my brother but it did not change our ideology. However, even though that happened to your family, you seem grounded and have a good handle on what the problem is.

It is statements like this, by Cribster that take this situation to another level that I think is extremely wrong:

Personally I think people who associate things like war, guns, terrorism with illegal mexicans are desperately trying to make this situation more critical and thus further corroborating the scapegoat that is the illegals.

thank you for your reply, though i would question the end...because in my eyes this issue is not just about illegal mexicans.
though the majority of illegals are from that country , and my husband just happened to be injured by someone from mexico that is not the point...illegal is illegal no matter what the nationality.
this is a critical issue.....one of national security.
immigration is what this country was built on yes..., and on the backs of those immigrants this country was built, my ancestor was an english mason and helped build some of conneticuts most famous churches and buildings....i would welcome anyone who would come here legally, no matter what their color or nationality.
but illegal immigration does nothing but hurt this country, and if by reminding others of september 11th, and the fact that the people who hijacked those four planes were here illegally is wrong, then call me wrong.
but i do believe that any type of illegal immigration is a detriment to our nation...we do not know just how many illegals are in this country, nor do we really know their true intentions.
i would hope that the reasons they are coming here is for a better life, but i doubt that they all are... and what about the thousands that are willing to do it legally and wait their turn?
isn't that wrong to take things that are not rightfully yours? isn't it wrong to take cuts in line? isn't it wrong not to follow the rules?
we could open our borders, and what would happen then? mass over population??? that could end up in mandatory birth control such as in china?
this nation cannot handle the influx...even if we wanted to.
the reality is this....we need to know who is in our country...we need to know their backgrounds, we need to know their intentions... there has to be a blueprint for immigrants to follow....and if it sounds a little like big brother, then sorry...maybe it's what this country needs, to be it's brothers keeper...by taking care of it's own first , then worrying about everyone else secondary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Here is the thing, bringing up the 9/11 terrorists does very little to backup the need to out illegal mexicans. 2 of the 9/11 terrorists came thru Canada, did we rush 6000 troops to the border of Canada? No, but we sure did send them to the US mexico border.

Sure for national security, but none of them were Mexicans. Yet so much concentration on Mexicans? Sorry looks like a redirection of blame to me.

I just posted links that shows US birthrate is plummeting, but here is another one from 2003: Lowest Recorded U.S. Birthrate Signals Demographic Wave

Majority of illegal mexicans do come here for a better life and they have had a great chance to succeed.

As for the immigration laws, I cannot answer why they were not upheld in the first part. US Government didn't see it necessary I guess, probably because the US Government wants businesses to stay in America and that is not the case. China, India, and Mexico are growing though, cheap labor can drive an economy. Even if you mechanize jobs in the US farms, that is still a loss of jobs for Americans.

There are laws and then there are economics and reality.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 PM

185 posts, read 319,401 times
Quote:
Vivski,

I am sorry that happened to your husband, I am sympathetic, same thing happened to my brother but it did not change our ideology. However, even though that happened to your family, you seem grounded and have a good handle on what the problem is.

It is statements like this, by Cribster that take this situation to another level that I think is extremely wrong:

Personally I think people who associate things like war, guns, terrorism with illegal mexicans are desperately trying to make this situation more critical and thus further corroborating the scapegoat that is the illegals.
The invasion is progressing with Felipe Calderon's blessing (as well as most of our senators,) the income from remittances is second only to their income from oil.

Mexican flags are replacing American flags, Mexican language (their version of Spanish) is replacing the language of our land.

Drug cartels are moving over to our side of the border and spreading north.

Americans are being slaughtered daily at the hands of illegal Mexicans'.

The U.S. is being occupied and colonized by Mexican foreign nationals. Illegal immigration is the most destructive force to ever hit my homeland.

Yes, it's a war in which we are not allowed to fight back. Don't mistake my passion for hate. I have never hated anyone or anything in my life. I just can't stand watching the wanton destruction of America.

It took immigrants over 200 years to build this country, illegal aliens are destoying it overnight.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:38 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,690,837 times
What I want to know is how anyone can know that the majority of illegals come here for good reasons. Did someone take a poll?

There will always be jobs for americans if the illegals leave, you just have to pay a livable wage.
Another question, what happens to the illegals if they get amnesty and actually have to become legit and pay real taxes? I think they will demand a livable wage, because right now, they dont even realize what being a citizen will cost them, such as taxes, and being tracked down to pay bills they are not used to paying.And sending money home, might become very difficult when half of your check is gone. Business would be in for a real shocker!!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
What I want to know is how anyone can know that the majority of illegals come here for good reasons. Did someone take a poll?

There will always be jobs for americans if the illegals leave, you just have to pay a livable wage.
Another question, what happens to the illegals if they get amnesty and actually have to become legit and pay real taxes? I think they will demand a livable wage, because right now, they dont even realize what being a citizen will cost them, such as taxes, and being tracked down to pay bills they are not used to paying.And sending money home, might become very difficult when half of your check is gone. Business would be in for a real shocker!!
Nea1 do you see Mexicans on the corner begging for change or food? Most are working.

The Mexicans came here illegally for economic reason, which is to make more money otherwise they would stay in Mexico. Of course there are some that are bad, with criminal records. Most are working to make more money and provide a better life for their families.

WikiAnswers - Why do Mexicans come to the US illegally

Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Here is the thing, bringing up the 9/11 terrorists does very little to backup the need to out illegal mexicans. 2 of the 9/11 terrorists came thru Canada.

Moderator cut: do not reposts copyrighted articles

CDC - Media Relations - Media Advisory - May 9, 2006 (http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/pressrel/a060509.htm?s_cid=mediarel_a060509_x - broken link)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6741029.story

This burgeoning family is symbolic of a rising demographic trend. According to information released Wednesday by the U.S. Census Bureau, the continuing growth of the Latino community in the Chicago area has more to do with high birth rates than with immigration.

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

Associated Press : Hispanic birth rate soars in Southeast

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2007 at 04:46 AM..

Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
CDC - Media Relations - Media Advisory - May 9, 2006 (http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/pressrel/a060509.htm?s_cid=mediarel_a060509_x - broken link)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6741029.story

This burgeoning family is symbolic of a rising demographic trend. According to information released Wednesday by the U.S. Census Bureau, the continuing growth of the Latino community in the Chicago area has more to do with high birth rates than with immigration.

In Cook County, 74 of every 1,000 Latino women ages 15 to 50 gave birth in the previous year, according to the census estimates for 2006. That compares with a rate of 57 for black women and 41 for white women. Latino births also outpaced those of whites and blacks in several of the region's outlying counties.

Kenneth Johnson, a demographer at Loyola University, estimates that 70 percent of the Latino growth in the area is from natural increase, not immigration. In addition to high birth rates, U.S. Latinos have a lower death rate because their median age is lower than other major racial and ethnic groups.

Nationally, Johnson calculates, there are seven Latino births for every death, compared with 1.3 white births for every death.

"Despite all the discussion about immigration, most of the Hispanic growth in the United States, and certainly in the Chicago area, is coming from natural increase," Johnson said. "So even if the borders were to be closed tomorrow, there's so much momentum in the large number of young Hispanics in America now that the Hispanic population will continue to grow at a fairly rapid rate."

So your Cook county sample represents Latino birthrate for all of America?
I am sure I could find some non-hispanic counties where the birthrates are high. Please...

Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Nea1 do you see Mexicans on the corner begging for change or food? Most are working.

The Mexicans came here illegally for economic reason, which is to make more money otherwise they would stay in Mexico. Of course there are some that are bad, with criminal records. Most are working to make more money and provide a better life for their families.

WikiAnswers - Why do Mexicans come to the US illegally
I see them harrassing people for sure. And did you ever think that the person begging lost his job and cannot find a new one? Or maybe they just are not as worthy to recieve services as the illegals.
Do you think that working equals good people? lord lets not even go there. I thought priests were all good because they served god, wrong!!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
So your Cook county sample represents Latino birthrate for all of America?
I am sure I could find some non-hispanic counties where the birthrates are high. Please...
Evidently you didnt read the other ones.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:56 PM

Hispanic Family Values? by Heather Mac Donald, City Journal Autumn 2006
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or