U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:34 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,751,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Of course, the consequence of uncontrolled immigration that most ordinary Americans see is what political scientist Peter Skerry calls "social disorder." Hazleton offers a good example: While cleaning graffiti from her building, a local locksmith told the Tribune that "about the same time the ordinance passed, the whole tone of the street changed. Virtually overnight, it was a totally different place."
I live on the edge (literally) of a Latino enclave here in the Phx area.......now that you posted it, ever since our governor, Janet Napolitano signed the employer sanctions bill, the Spanish speakers are much quieter--------I surmise they are scared big time.

As for the DREAM act: the premise behind it is honorable; simply tweak it to more closely screen any potential applicants for criminal activity.

I do have major heartburn with kicking children out who were brought to the USA below age 12 and kept their noses clean (read that did well in school, etc)------provided the kids can be placed under the guardianship of legal friends/relatives and the parents deported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 PM

4,773 posts, read 7,587,925 times
I have just e-mailed both Senator Tester and Senator Baucus, here in the state of Montana. I am confident they will do they right thing and vote with a resounding NO on this shameful "Dream" scam. And they are Democrats, what do you know!

Old 09-27-2007, 08:09 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,751,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I have just e-mailed both Senator Tester and Senator Baucus, here in the state of Montana. I am confident they will do they right thing and vote with a resounding NO on this shameful "Dream" scam. And they are Democrats, what do you know!
Another Democrat who signed off on an anti illegal immigrant bill was our governor, Janet Napolitano of Arizona

Especially factoring in the surge of illegals really occurred when the Republicans controlled both houses of Congress (2001-06) as well as the White House-------and, the amnesty of 1986 was with Reagan in office.

Bottom line; there is plenty of blame to go around that is not party specific------and, that is coming from me, a registered Republican.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:27 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,003,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Another Democrat who signed off on an anti illegal immigrant bill was our governor, Janet Napolitano of Arizona

Especially factoring in the surge of illegals really occurred when the Republicans controlled both houses of Congress (2001-06) as well as the White House-------and, the amnesty of 1986 was with Reagan in office.

Bottom line; there is plenty of blame to go around that is not party specific------and, that is coming from me, a registered Republican.
Yup...what an amazing coincidence that illegal immigration spiked during Republican administrations. Things that make you go....duh.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:42 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,742,686 times
Politians on the whole are to blame, not just one party. theysay they are for us, they are really for themselves. You cannot trust them at all. Especailly the ones that are on top now for the election, people need to wake up and not always vote because you see one more on TV than you do the not so popular ones. It is all about the money.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:18 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,021,431 times
Great news guys, Sen. McConnell filed cloture on the Senate DOD authorization bill making the DREAM Act non-germane. Therefore, the DREAM Act will not move forward on the DOD authorization bill.

Right now we don't have to worry about the DREAM Act being attached to the DOD bill. But Sen. Reid has already vowed to bring the bill back up before the November recess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or