U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:37 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,051,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What do you think especially here in the southwest? It ain't rocket science you know. When I read our local paper 7 or 8 out of ten babies born in our hospital have Hispanic surnames. Sure some of them are probably born from citizen Hispanics but the odds are that there statistics are along the same lines as Parkland...
I don't believe that at all, and think for the span of the Southwest, more Hispanic babies are born to U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...I have posted that link that you are referring to about the number of legal and illegal immigrants from every ethnic group. Re-read it for clarification.
For legal immigration, your source only sums two classifications in a single year:

Quote:
...Combining all those who received Legal Permanent Residence (i.e. green card) and all those who were naturalized (i.e. became citizens) in 2009, our total immigration tally was nearly 1.9 million persons...
Ostensibly, the source counts all illegal aliens, for all years. However, if a legal immigrant didn't get their Resident Card, or an immigrant didn't naturalize, specifically in 2009, they aren't counted. The four I have here, even though they gained their legal residency just the year before, aren't in your tally at all.

It actually needs to be a total of those Hispanics getting Resident Cards in all years (naturalization is at no set pace, and should be ignored; legal immigrants are already being counted as they gain residency). A bit harder, because DHS only covers three consecutive years in each annual categorized report. There is a chart of legal immigration quantities in the report, but it is not itemized to countries.

Since 1980 total legal immigration has been about an average of a million per year. By looking at most data (including your source for 2009), I can believe Mexicans are around 15% of all legal immigrants (an average of 150,000 Mexicans per year since 1980, so 4.8 million for that segment). Another 1.85 million could easily be accumulated in the years prior to 1980, and still alive: Matching the estimates of illegal aliens of Mexican origin.

Birthrates should be about equal between legal and illegal Mexican immigrants too. It's going to be pretty close to a draw. Of course you have to figure in the true Mexican origins of most of the Hispanics in the Southwest, they were here when the border crossed them, or came in families to escape the Mexican Revolution.

It is their grandchildren and further that are the current generations...

That at least is my take on things...

Old 07-09-2012, 05:30 AM
Yac

5,892 posts, read 6,349,769 times
Once again I feel like I have to remind some of you: Hispanic does not equal illegal.
This thread makes me sad, as usual every thread here eventually becomes about race, ethnicity, using any means you can to prove your point yet absolutely ignoring what the other side has to say. This is intellectually wrong and dishonest on so many levels, it makes me sad.
Thread closed.
Yac.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration