U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 AM

12,439 posts, read 9,958,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Romney is actually the most anti-illegal immigration presidential nominee we've had from either major party since at least the 1970's. The problem is - he's in between a rock and a hard place and can't tout his stance too much because he already has an uphill battle getting support from Hispanics.
I just don't buy it. It simply is not logical. Romney is an establishment republican (Chamber of Commerce Republican). He is not a Tea Party Republican. The Tea Party Republicans are certainly anti-illigal immigration. He needs the support of the right wing of the party. I believe he will say anything at this point to get elected; however, he cannot lose his Chamber of Commerce base. Business does not like strong illegal immigrant policy. They like cheap labor. That is simply logical for business to think that way. I just find it difficult to believe that he would do anything that the Chamber of Commerce did not approve of.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 AM

6,863 posts, read 7,724,228 times
Let's clarify some things.

1. This is not amnesty.

2. This doesn't provide a pathway for a greencard.

3. This only applies to those who have demonstrated to have good values and are under the age of 30.(Thise who have criminal records are not qualified)

4. There are still millions of illegals who do not qualify for these permits.

5. This is obviously a political move.

6. This does not solve our broken immigration system.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:24 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,773,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I just don't buy it. It simply is not logical. Romney is an establishment republican (Chamber of Commerce Republican). He is not a Tea Party Republican. The Tea Party Republicans are certainly anti-illigal immigration. He needs the support of the right wing of the party. I believe he will say anything at this point to get elected; however, he cannot lose his Chamber of Commerce base. Business does not like strong illegal immigrant policy. They like cheap labor. That is simply logical for business to think that way. I just find it difficult to believe that he would do anything that the Chamber of Commerce did not approve of.
Well, his record in MA on illegal immigration was pretty good (vetoing the in-state tuiton bill and setting up the program for state police to enforce immigration laws).

Some businesses, especially smaller businesses, do like anti-illegal immigration policies. Businesses hiring illegal aliens have an unfair advantage and businesses that do not hire them get screwed.

No - we can't be sure that Romney will keep his promises if elected, just like we can't be sure if any politician will keep their promises, but I'd rather take a chance on someone who says they support the same policies I do than stick with someone who I know supports policies I am against. (Obviously, I don't agree with Romney on everything and I don't disagree with Obama on everything, but on this issue and overall - I agree a hell of a lot more with Romney and will happily vote for him in November, just as I did in the Texas GOP primary.) Not to mention - Obama hasn't shown that he's very good at keeping promises himself.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,242,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
That's ok. The states will do what the Feds won't.
Per the constitution only the federal government has the power to deport.

Anyway I wish congress would pass a comprehensive immigration reform but I will accept this as a temporary solution.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,562,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Garvin View Post
You have to wonder why these illegals don't attempt to go through the legal naturalization process instead of breaking our laws. It shows that they don't respect America right from the get go. There is no reason they can't go through the process like others.
Because they are LAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's 50% of it. There are zero consequences to being here illegally so why the hell should they put forth the effort and money to do it the right way? It takes time to study for your citizenship test, go fill out the paperwork, pay the fees etc.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 AM

18,341 posts, read 11,630,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
LOL...........First off, we are talking 800,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And these are supposedly "kids" or "young people". That means there have got to be atleast twice as many adults who have given birth to these illegal children. Pathetic! America has become a joke! Again we are talking more than half a million people, not just 80K. It's pathetic all these illegals are getting into this country, staying in this country, and giving birth to their own illegal anchor babies. So many of these young people that won't be deported are stealing jobs of US citizens. What about all the troops coming home in the next few years? Go Obongo you epic loser!
White House to halt deportation of young illegal immigrants | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

THIS IS WHY. You might want to read a little past the first couple of paragraphs.

Under the administration plan, illegal immigrants will be immune from deportation if they were brought to the United States before they turned 16 and are younger than 30, have been in the country for at least five continuous years, have no criminal history, graduated from a U.S. high school or earned a GED, or served in the military. They also can apply for a work permit that will be good for two years with no limits on how many times it can be renewed.

The policy will not lead toward citizenship but will remove the threat of deportation and grant the ability to work legally, leaving eligible immigrants able to remain in the United States for extended periods. It tracks closely to a proposal offered by Republican Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida as an alternative to the DREAM Act.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,783,502 times
Another tired political gimmick from Obama. This will backfire the Dems must be getting desperate.

12,439 posts, read 9,958,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Well, his record in MA on illegal immigration was pretty good (vetoing the in-state tuiton bill and setting up the program for state police to enforce immigration laws).

Some businesses, especially smaller businesses, do like anti-illegal immigration policies. Businesses hiring illegal aliens have an unfair advantage and businesses that do not hire them get screwed.

No - we can't be sure that Romney will keep his promises if elected, just like we can't be sure if any politician will keep their promises, but I'd rather take a chance on someone who says they support the same policies I do than stick with someone who I know supports policies I am against. (Obviously, I don't agree with Romney on everything and I don't disagree with Obama on everything, but on this issue and overall - I agree a hell of a lot more with Romney and will happily vote for him in November, just as I did in the Texas GOP primary.) Not to mention - Obama hasn't shown that he's very good at keeping promises himself.
What record in MA? Only the fed has the power to deport and control immigration policy, so what could a Gov. do?

I am sure that some businesses are anti-illegal immigrant, but I am talking about business as a whole and not every single business owner.

71,504 posts, read 30,075,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Per the constitution only the federal government has the power to deport.

Anyway I wish congress would pass a comprehensive immigration reform but I will accept this as a temporary solution.
The argument before the courts is if the government refuses to do it's required job and it causes hardships to a state, can that state then be able to uphold the requirements stated in the Constitution.

It will be interesting.

2,413 posts, read 2,562,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Let's clarify some things.

1. This is not amnesty.

2. This doesn't provide a pathway for a greencard.

3. This only applies to those who have demonstrated to have good values and are under the age of 30.(Thise who have criminal records are not qualified)

4. There are still millions of illegals who do not qualify for these permits.

5. This is obviously a political move.

6. This does not solve our broken immigration system.

Oh yeah right......wake up! After two years when their work visas expire there will be some other nanny decision made. And yes there are still MILLIONS of illegals......so 800,000 is a whole hell of a lot to keep here ILLEGALLY!!!!!!!!!! I don't care if they are children or 80 year olds. When the hell did I sign up as a tax paying American stating that I would take care of all the world's problems and shelter, clothe, feed, the third worlders from Mexico?????????? Sorry my sympathy and compassion for these people is gone!!!!!!!!!!! My father was a Polish immigrant who came here the right way, respect American law, had enough kids that he could afford and take care of, and paid his taxes. AND HE LEARNED THE FRIGGIN LANGUAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see push two for Polish, French, Italian, or German. Hell there isn't even a push 2 for ebonics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or