U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:35 AM

1,182 posts, read 947,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
It appears that immigration laws are only immoral to you and those few who think as you. Your claim of immorality is but your opinion of it.This wasn't done by Executive fiat, it was done though policy in DHS. Laws are guidelines with specifics, all DHS did was stayed within the guidelines as already defined. Deferred Action doesn't impose any legality on to the illegalsThey must also apply for deferred Action, then they must apply for a work permit, this also doesn't prevent them from being deported if they get caught up in Secure Communities. DHS has always had this ability, they are now simply coming out with it as a political ploy, as they have had the ability to do so since Obama began his presidency.
To me, picking on kids is low. I mean, imagine if YOU were brought here as a baby or small child and grew up only knowing life here and then they want to send you to a foreign country that you know nothing about, nobody there and do not even know the language in many cases. Even Bill Kristol, who is one of the most conservative people around, stated that Obama did the right and correct thing. I do agree that Obama did it for political reasons. Otherwise he would have done it the very first week he was in office which is what he should have done. But it is 100% the right and correct thing to do while Congress sits around doing nothing which is what they do best. I am looking for a President that will go around them and implement what the country needs.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:36 AM

1,182 posts, read 947,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The House did pass a Dream Act law but it never got past the Senate.
Isn't the Senate where the Dems hold power ?

Dream Act Passes The House
But they have this 60 vote rule which the Democrats won't get rid of.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
To me, picking on kids is low. I mean, imagine if YOU were brought here as a baby or small child and grew up only knowing life here and then they want to send you to a foreign country that you know nothing about, nobody there and do not even know the language in many cases. Even Bill Kristol, who is one of the most conservative people around, stated that Obama did the right and correct thing. I do agree that Obama did it for political reasons. Otherwise he would have done it the very first week he was in office which is what he should have done. But it is 100% the right and correct thing to do while Congress sits around doing nothing which is what they do best. I am looking for a President that will go around them and implement what the country needs.
Oh that old "It's for the children!!!" whine. When you're talking about an age range of 16 to 30, only the 16 and 17 year olds qualify as children. No way does a 30 year old qualify as a helpless little child.

Highly doubtful that more than 0-2 of these children didn't learn their mother's language long before they learned English -- and we're not talking about babies being born here that already have their nice US birth certificates, we're talking about kids being brought into this country at much older ages.

It is 100% wrong because American unemployed are hurting and Obama is supposed to be working for the American people. Instead he's thrown million unemployed Americans under the bus and is giving our jobs away.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:46 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Typical Romney. Can't take a stand on anything without reading the polls. The same thing I get on Obama for doing. A good President does not follow the crowd. A good President LEADS the crowd.
A good president works for the benefit of the American people which may include those who respected the laws and are here legally and working on becoming a real part of the American people.

A good president does not put the desires of a foreign people ahead of the needs of the American people.

Plus he did it for what he thinks are some easy votes -- but those who support unlimited illegal immigration were already going to vote for him so it may not be as clever a move as he obviously thinks it was.

Now he has to face the unemployed Americans - and there are millions --- and he's got some 'splainin' to do.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,568,211 times
Just wanted to make a few points to clarify in a positive light what I believe the President is trying to do, as relates to previous legislation, and also to the Republican Presidential candidate's response, as well as to the Republican Governor of Arizona's comments. I might add that various estimates have been put together that show our economy would prosper with the legal addition of this particular group of immigrants, especially when you consider taxes will be taken out of their paychecks now.

Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act bills have been introduced in the U.S. Congress several times, beginning in 2006, the latest of which is the CIRA of 2011, Senate Bill 1258, which has still not passed into law. This bill includes one of the versions of the current reintroduced bipartisan Dream Act of 2011, Senate Bill 3992, which the Dream Act was originally introduced in 2001, concerning basically school-aged young people being allowed to stay in the U.S., which is the part President Obama was concerned with when he said his administration would stop deporting some young illegal immigrants, enforced thru Homeland Security. President Obama has tried to get Congress to pass both bills throughout his 3-year 5-month Administration, and time just plain ran out. So, he did what he could to rectify the situation. He said, "It is the right thing to do."

But Republican Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney responded by expressing that he didn't think that was the way to go about it, that the President should have taken it up sooner (which both bills already relating to it have been sitting in Congress for years, and reintroduced last year), and Romney also said he thought some new proposals were coming out in Congress and that he'd work with them to put in a long-term solution (which has already been the case since back during Bush's administration). In effect, Romney is saying we ought to do stuff that has already been done!

What some people do not realize is what I've just explained factually, that Romney's approach has already sat around in the Congress in one form or another for many years and still is not law. So, to me, the President is doing what he can, while he is for sure still President, which he is trying to give relief to school-aged young immigrants, who came to the U.S. as children with their parents, have gone through the school system, and are ready to work, go to college, serve in the military, and just be regular citizens here as they were raised up to be.

And while Arizona has many problems with their shared Mexico border, and thus could not continue to wait for Congress to do something, they enacted some radical immigration solutions. But it really does become political when their Republican governor expressed "outrage" against what the President is doing as relates to school-aged young immigrants. Already Arizona has had to modify some of their tactics, like racial profiling, so this will just be another adjustment.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,711,133 times
Quote:
Most still have close family in those nations and almost all know the language of those nations as their parents usually don't speak English, Malamute points that out and why. I don't care what Bill Kristol thinks. Didn't Congress attempt to pass the DREAM Act in 2010?

The President didn't go around anybody, he merely stated what ICE and DHS have had the power all along to do, making it seem as though he is actually doing something above and beyond his constitutional authority. Like I said, DHS has had the power all along, he is attempting nothing more than political pandering for sympathetic votes. If this is your idea of a President than God help us all.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 06-17-2012 at 12:10 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 11:25 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,711,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Just wanted to make a few points to clarify in a positive light what I believe the President is trying to do, as relates to previous legislation, and also to the Republican Presidential candidate's response, as well as to the Republican Governor of Arizona's comments. I might add that various estimates have been put together that show our economy would prosper with the legal addition of this particular group of immigrants, especially when you consider taxes will be taken out of their paychecks now.

Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act bills have been introduced in the U.S. Congress several times, beginning in 2006, the latest of which is the CIRA of 2011, Senate Bill 1258, which has still not passed into law. This bill includes one of the versions of the current reintroduced bipartisan Dream Act of 2011, Senate Bill 3992, which the Dream Act was originally introduced in 2001, concerning basically school-aged young people being allowed to stay in the U.S., which is the part President Obama was concerned with when he said his administration would stop deporting some young illegal immigrants, enforced thru Homeland Security. President Obama has tried to get Congress to pass both bills throughout his 3-year 5-month Administration, and time just plain ran out. So, he did what he could to rectify the situation. He said, "It is the right thing to do."

But Republican Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney responded by expressing that he didn't think that was the way to go about it, that the President should have taken it up sooner (which both bills already relating to it have been sitting in Congress for years, and reintroduced last year), and Romney also said he thought some new proposals were coming out in Congress and that he'd work with them to put in a long-term solution (which has already been the case since back during Bush's administration). In effect, Romney is saying we ought to do stuff that has already been done!

What some people do not realize is what I've just explained factually, that Romney's approach has already sat around in the Congress in one form or another for many years and still is not law. So, to me, the President is doing what he can, while he is for sure still President, which he is trying to give relief to school-aged young immigrants, who came to the U.S. as children with their parents, have gone through the school system, and are ready to work, go to college, serve in the military, and just be regular citizens here as they were raised up to be.

And while Arizona has many problems with their shared Mexico border, and thus could not continue to wait for Congress to do something, they enacted some radical immigration solutions. But it really does become political when their Republican governor expressed "outrage" against what the President is doing as relates to school-aged young immigrants. Already Arizona has had to modify some of their tactics, like racial profiling, so this will just be another adjustment.
You spouted nothing but old hyperbole. Obama has had the ability to have DHS do what he just came out with since his first day in office. This was and has always been the policy of DHS not some Executive Order from the POTUS. These DREAM eligible people must still qualify for Deferred Action and they must apply for work authorization as it is not simply granted to them as many somehow believe.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:56 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post

So these illegal aliens even though many were brought here by their parents the solution is to legalize them so they can compete for the scarce jobs we have in this country? Really? That's the solution? The solution is to deport them and their parents as our laws require. That is the solution that will benefit Americans.

Arizona never had any racial profiling laws. That is just pro-illegal alien propaganda.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 PM

15,385 posts, read 8,679,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
The Congress that you refer to is REPUBLICAN/TEA PARTY-DAMAGED. Got that? This is a historical low-point in this country's history. We've got idiotic Republicans in Congress trying to push their agenda, one that has never benefited this country, one that has represented a complete detriment. Pass law that this "Congress" wants? Not until we get those lousy Republican suckers out of there.

Your sentiments "emulate" what is wrong with the Republican party: clueless.
The Dems were in control for 2 years. What was the excuse then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration