U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 PM

22,243 posts, read 14,734,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Who's talking about enforcing the border. Your great comrade just opened the floodgates wider.
I know! But I can't figure out how all them illeggies knew about over 5 years ago.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,307,565 times
Look,

I am a decendant of immigrants, I'd wager to bet that a overwhelming majority of y'all are also. In our past, every single time immigrant groups started coming to this country, the people living here said, "They will take our jobs!" and "Kick them out, we don't want them!" etc.

Irish immigrants, much like those who are coming from Mexico and other countries now, worked hard, grew their wealth, expanded into the rest of the country, and made this country better.

We don't need an immigration policy, we need to open immigration to each and every person who wants to come in this country. Open a "Ellis Island" type facility on the border. Anyone who comes in, check to see if they are criminals in their own country, check their health, and then welcome them in.

I am so sick and tired of people talking about illegal immigration, when the entire history of these United States has been filled with immigrants, and we have been the better for it. Just because they aren't white, doesn't mean we should stop them from coming here. They don't speak the language? Most Irish and Italian immigrants didn't speak English much either.

What the President has done, says that if you have lived here for 5 or more years, kept your nose clean, served in the military or gotten a college degree, then there is no reason to kick you out. Most of the "illegal" immigrants that are covered by this are the children of illegal immigrants who have lived in the United States for 10, 15, or 20 years. They don't even know their own country, they don't even speak their countries language.

They are as American as me, you, my kids, anyone. The jobs they are doing, most people (if any) don't want to do. The Mexican immigrants I have seen are hard workers, work for very little money and benefits, and are all doing jobs that no one else wants to do for 30 dollars a day.

We don't need to restrict our immigration policies, we need to open the gates wide the hell open again.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:20 PM

7,396 posts, read 3,852,043 times
Nice ... somebody merged the threads and deleted my comment in the process. Thanks for that.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:17 PM

27,819 posts, read 37,852,315 times
Brilliant! Brilliant. Obama makes the best political move of his career. Moral leadership. The Reps will shoot themselves in the foot even more with Latinos putting this down. Romney CAN'T say he would repeal the order. It would finish him and the Reps. He can't embrace it either. LOL.

The thing is this is not only politically brilliant, it was the right thing to do: work permits not citizenship and no path to citizenship. They can just stay. study and work and contribute to the economy. We get some ROI on the money we spent on these kids education.

Brilliant!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:04 PM

5,970 posts, read 2,790,293 times
Replying to Memphis1979. NO!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:07 PM

3,270 posts, read 4,777,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Brilliant! Brilliant. Obama makes the best political move of his career. Moral leadership. The Reps will shoot themselves in the foot even more with Latinos putting this down. Romney CAN'T say he would repeal the order. It would finish him and the Reps. He can't embrace it either. LOL.

The thing is this is not only politically brilliant, it was the right thing to do: work permits not citizenship and no path to citizenship. They can just stay. study and work and contribute to the economy. We get some ROI on the money we spent on these kids education.

Brilliant!
I had my own thread before the mod went crazy and lumped everything together, but I basically said the same thing...

In the long term this will firmly entrench Hispanics in the democratic camp like African Americans today. The democratic party today started the path to citizen ship for 16 million illegals in this country, Hispanics know this and will strongly back the Democrats today. I feel personally Obama overstepped his constitutional authority today and republicans will be able to challenge this successfully in court over the next several years and will eventually win the battle but loose the Hispanic vote for several generations in doing so. The more republicans fight it the more mean, bigoted, and racist they will appear in the mainstream media and in Hispanic news outlets. To me this has a feel of the civil rights movement again where the northern democrats forced the desegregation of schools, and the end of Jim Crow. In doing so they lost the white southern vote but earned the loyalty of African Americans.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:05 AM

12,766 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
This man is totally unfit to be President. He has completely polarized and divided this country. His a freaking incompetent moron.
Cut and paste from 2004?

I think the decision is the right thing to do. Whatever political gain he gets from it (and there were clearly political motivations attached) are moot to me. Just like when his administration stated they would not defend DOMA. Doing the right thing, even for the wrong reasons, ultimately is still doing the right thing. I know this will get the xenophobes, the racists, the ultra-"patriots" and the tea partiers in an uproar, but I can't think of any groups I'd rather see p*ssed off more. That's when you know it's a good thing.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:57 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Look,

I am a decendant of immigrants, I'd wager to bet that a overwhelming majority of y'all are also. In our past, every single time immigrant groups started coming to this country, the people living here said, "They will take our jobs!" and "Kick them out, we don't want them!" etc.

Irish immigrants, much like those who are coming from Mexico and other countries now, worked hard, grew their wealth, expanded into the rest of the country, and made this country better.

We don't need an immigration policy, we need to open immigration to each and every person who wants to come in this country. Open a "Ellis Island" type facility on the border. Anyone who comes in, check to see if they are criminals in their own country, check their health, and then welcome them in.

I am so sick and tired of people talking about illegal immigration, when the entire history of these United States has been filled with immigrants, and we have been the better for it. Just because they aren't white, doesn't mean we should stop them from coming here. They don't speak the language? Most Irish and Italian immigrants didn't speak English much either.

What the President has done, says that if you have lived here for 5 or more years, kept your nose clean, served in the military or gotten a college degree, then there is no reason to kick you out. Most of the "illegal" immigrants that are covered by this are the children of illegal immigrants who have lived in the United States for 10, 15, or 20 years. They don't even know their own country, they don't even speak their countries language.

They are as American as me, you, my kids, anyone. The jobs they are doing, most people (if any) don't want to do. The Mexican immigrants I have seen are hard workers, work for very little money and benefits, and are all doing jobs that no one else wants to do for 30 dollars a day.

We don't need to restrict our immigration policies, we need to open the gates wide the hell open again.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:00 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:

Brilliant!
Yeah, brilliant move. Throw the American worker under the bus for votes from a special interest group who by the way puts ethnicity above the best interests of this country. Just brilliant!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:44 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:

Brilliant!
Yeah some moral leadership -- when millions of Americans are unemployed and facing despair, all Obama can do is provide foreigners who have zero respect for the laws of this nation work visas.

69,000 jobs created in May -- and now Obama has just done a huge dumping of work visas out there. He's done absolutely nothing to benefit the American people, but he just can't help himself when it comes to giant give aways to foreigners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or