U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:37 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,946,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Ok, what people need to understand... There was one major motivator that drove Oblama to do what he did. Take fuel away from the Republicans. Now Romney won't have the chance to do what Obama did. It's all a game of political chess. Obama may very well have sacrificed the election, akin to sacrificing the pawn for a greater position a move or two later. Who knows what the Democrats agenda really is. If you think about it though, they are probably gaining a fair number of voters in some very red states. Maybe it's worth it to throw Obama under the bus for those extra votes in another 4 years. Who knows. Maybe they realize Obama doesn't stand a chance in this election so they might as well... Obummer is and always will be, a puppet and a tool. Haha, and people believed he would be different???
It's wishful thinking on your part that Obama is going to lose. He's still very competitive and even a little ahead in the swing states that he needs to win. We still haven't even had any debates to speak of. It's unfortunate that he has to compete with all of the manipulative $$ made possible by the Citizens United decision. That, more than anything has really made this election cycle much different than any before.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:38 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,946,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Bingo.
Are those immigrants STILL here?!!! That turmoil (earthquake) ended years ago.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:58 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,336,186 times
What homeowners do not realize is that, even though they may hire a legitimate company to do work on their home, the company can just hire workers off the street, not cover them with workers' comp, and if the employee gets hurt on the job at your house, you could be sued. You have to get certificates of insurance, including workers' compensation insurance, and a statement with the name of every single employee who will be working on their home that says they will be covered by insurance. You would not believe the nighmares homeowners are having with this, incompetent workers, incomplete or wrong work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That is a myth. We hired a company to reshingle our roof and I was sick and happened to be home when they came. These were not low paid employees or should not have been. I am still wondering about the work they did. I saw them doing something wrong and had to call the company to get the secretary to speak the manager. He was on a job but could not understand when I asked him to stop doing what he was doing to my roof. I won't be calling that company back again. There will be no more workers at my home that do not speak English. I will have that in the next contract. It was really scary for me having someone doing something wrong to my roof, but he didn't understand when I asked him to stop. There should have been at least one person onsite that knew how to communicate with me.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:05 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Those folks have already been taking those jobs - only now, the employers will be forced to pay them minimum wage and they will have rights - the great thing about this is that many of those employers will now FIRE those guys and hire natives.

BTW - the 'illegals' aren't the ones harvesting crops. They're the ones working in factories and for construction companies, jobs that used to pay low, but livable wages, but now pay NOTHING. We aren't talking about people who don't work getting work permits - they're talking about the ones already here, already working, getting permits to stay. While I don't think they should have the right to vote, I think they definitely deserve the right to pay legal taxes and demand higher pay. This was purely a political move, because the illegals working here know they only have jobs because they work for less than citizens and immigrants with paperwork.

My hope is that fewer admin positions will now require us to be Bilingual. One of my former employers hired illegals and hired one of the laziest people in the world to "work" alongside me because she spoke Spanish (but very, very little - Google translate did a better job for me than she did).
If they were taking jobs Americans want then they were committing felony document fraud and according to what Obama *said* but may not have meant was they couldn't have committed felony crimes. Will these illegals admit to the authorities that they were committing felony document fraud? Will they now use their own names or will they go on using the name that was issued for a particular social security number.

If their employers have to pay legal wages and benefits, they will simply let them go and bring in new illegals who will do the jobs that Americans won't do and that now illegals with work visas won't do.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:10 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
The biggest issue with this ruling is that people now know that if they continue to illegally immigrate, down the road, the government will come out with a ruling to help their kids.

This pisses me off to no end! I had to wait for five years and my dad had to spend thousands and thousands of dollars for his hard earned money to bring me to this country legally. Yet, I am attending classes with illegial students who are getting grants and scholarships while I have nothing and have no choice but to work two, sometimes three jobs to pay for tuition and other expenses at a local public school.
Yes, before he was elected, Obama said something about having illegals go to the end of the line behind those already standing in that line. That was pretty vague because illegals always had the option of trying to come legally but that requires some education, job skills if you don't happen to have some relative over here to sponsor you.

Instead, Obama has now cut off any chance for many would-be legal immigrants to come -- some who may have been waiting patiently, carefully checking the laws, paying their fees, filling out their paperwork. They were patient because even though they might truly want to become Americans, they understood that jobs are few right now.

But instead Obama has just slapped them across the face and made them feel like fools. Why do things the legal way when that gets you nowhere and the illegals are very nicely rewarded for having broken this country's laws.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:27 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,786,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I think illegals have some place in this economy... If they have construction skills they can do your home remodeling for cheap. We did our entire 3 story house remodeled for cheap with illegal Polish labor. It was still expensive at $240,000 but we even sneaked by without building permits. Otherwise, maybe we couldn't afford a 3 story remodeling.

Ilegals have it the toughest to survive, and they have to do the hardest under the table work. We need them to harvest our crops when other people won't do that.
That is right, and you can't get Americans to do the work either,
even if you pay them more money, or there would be no work for illegals to do.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:42 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
Well, we can do something about it---just say NO!

If you own a business or are in a hiring position, simply don't hire illegal immigrants. You don't have to give a reason, no one else does.

and as consumers, if you encounter an employee who can't speak English, protest! Demand to see the manager, if they can speak English! Fill out those gripe cards, state you couldn't conduct business with ABC corp because the only help available couldn't speak basic English. when you go to MCD and the gal at the window doesn't know what a straw is, why is she working there? meanwhile, other applicants are turned down. Just last week I was grocery shopping, none of the produce people knew what celery was, and couldn't communicate with each other, since they all spoke different languages.

If you call an 800 number and get someone with an accent you can't begin to understand, who takes an attitude with you because you don't understand them, protest!Go up the ladder, insist on someone who speaks English!

If you are enrolled in a university and your instructors barely speak English, protest! Make your concerns known! You're paying to be there, your concerns should not be dismissed!

Stop worrying about being politically correct and insist that we can function in our own country without being a linguist!

Old 06-17-2012, 05:51 PM

28 posts, read 31,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
My question is to the legal immigrants. Do you support this? Are you ok with the fact that these people are being allowed to jump ahead in line when you did things by the book? Will this make you vote for Obama?
I'm a legal immigrant (non-hispanic) and yes it irritates me. I just paid $450 to renew my green card, so I'm hoping there is a least some kind of fee involved.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:45 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,441,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Those folks have already been taking those jobs - only now, the employers will be forced to pay them minimum wage and they will have rights - the great thing about this is that many of those employers will now FIRE those guys and hire natives.
Until one week later, the American demands $11, and the process is reversed.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:53 PM

632 posts, read 959,943 times
It's not the fact that illegals tend to work menial jobs but, what will happen YEARS FROM NOW! Children of illegal immigrants will not be deported therefore, they can attend college, get grants, etc etc. Let's be honest with ourselves, this ruling will lead to more favorable rulings in the future. I HIGHLY doubt they will be working menial jobs and will be looking for corporate jobs that pay big $$$$.

Now folks that came here legally not only feel like getting slapped in the face but, my college seat at my dream school probably went to an illegal immigrant (the school I used to attend was well known and rather proud of it illegal immigrant students WHO BROKE THE LAW). Besides not being grants, I have to compete with these criminals for jobs that are already scarce.

We have too many people to begin with in this country and now we will only be making the problem worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or