Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 08:22 AM

56 posts, read 91,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am not a guy, never have been, never will be. It's a dirty word.

What is your dealio?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
If you're worried about illegals taking your job maybe you need to step up your game. It's not something I concern myself with.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:56 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ListenToYourHeart View Post
What is your dealio?
Not to rain on your accomplishmnt, but what would have been so bad about immigrating into America legally? That way, businesses wouldn't get away with paying you tax-free, dirt cheap wages, plus you guys would also be paying taxes for all of that time (since you're utilizing our infrastructure).

That's all us Americans ask for...

Old 06-16-2012, 09:02 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
A few points:

1) The law is the law. We're not here to debate the morals of the illegals - the point is that they are here illegally, but our leaders are willing to ignore the law because it allows for more cheap labor. That alone is disgusting, but it is even more appalling to flood the market with cheap, illegal labor in an economy Depression.

If we're going to say "it's okay, because they are hard workers and decent people," does that mean any hard working, decent person can ignore the law? "Sorry office, but I don't have to follow the speed limit since I'm a hard worker and better than gang members..." That doesn't make any sense.

2) We can discuss how "immigrants built this nation" all we want, but those immigrants integrated into society - most illegals do not, and some actively campaign to basically turn the US into Mexico North. Similary, the companies that hire them do so under the table to pay lower wages and discourage integration. This story is probably not going to have a "happy ending," unlike the classic Ellis Island tales from generations ago.

3) Saying they are "taking jobs Americans won't do" is dishonest. They are taking jobs American's CAN'T AFFORD to do, because the wages are so low the only way to survive on them is to be paid under the table and avoid income taxes. If the companies paid a living wage to pick fruit or whatever, our desperately poor citizens would be able to take those jobs and at least survive. Also, if anyone thinks this is just about fruit-picking, you're missing the point. Not only have illegals taken over the construction industry, which once used to be a decent way to make a living, but it is safe to say that the long-term is goal is to replace even more American jobs with illegals as time goes by. It's all about cheap labor, and nothing is cheaper than under the table slave-labor!

Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 AM

56 posts, read 91,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Not to rain on your accomplishmnt, but what would have been so bad about immigrating into America legally? That way, businesses wouldn't get away with paying you tax-free, dirt cheap wages, plus you guys would also be paying taxes for all of that time (since you're utilizing our infrastructure).

That's all us Americans ask for...
I don't really see it as an "accomplishment;" it's just me doing my thing. I don't mind rain. Rain is what make things grow faster. Rain makes me stronger. That's my mentality.

I think your question proposed to me is based on the assumption that I am anti-legal immigration, which is not the case here.

Is the current policy perfect? No. Should the policy perhaps be more restrictive? Maybe. My question to you is, can't you see that it benefits society to allow some of these kids, who are educated here, to stay in the United States and become productive members of society?

For example, don't you see something wrong with the recent Maimi case where they were trying deport a high school girl who was here since she was an infant, and now a valedictorian of her class, and Ivy League bound?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:14 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Immigration enforcement costs money. I'd rather the government spent more on education and infrastructure and less on ICE agents. I'm more about there being higher skilled jobs and a better trained workforce than keeping low skill jobs available for Americans.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I think illegals have some place in this economy... If they have construction skills they can do your home remodeling for cheap. We did our entire 3 story house remodeled for cheap with illegal Polish labor. It was still expensive at $240,000 but we even sneaked by without building permits. Otherwise, maybe we couldn't afford a 3 story remodeling.

Ilegals have it the toughest to survive, and they have to do the hardest under the table work. We need them to harvest our crops when other people won't do that.
Yea ! and see how cheep it was without permits when you try to sell it later !

Old 06-16-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Immigration enforcement costs money. I'd rather the government spent more on education and infrastructure and less on ICE agents. I'm more about there being higher skilled jobs and a better trained workforce than keeping low skill jobs available for Americans.
OR, we can always bring home some of those soldiers from overseas and have them patrol the borders.

Yah, I know, too much like right. How dare any patriotic Americans suggest we end our pointless Military involvement in the Middle east!!!

Last edited by 313Weather; 06-16-2012 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-16-2012, 09:28 AM

750 posts, read 1,445,807 times
Their needs to be immigration reform. But you just can not back door around laws you do not like. It undermines having laws to start with. The law is the law I do not have to like it. Btw I have volunteered for a farm workers union 99% latinos half without papers of any kind. But this is a blatant sellout to an election bloc at a time of high unemployment that has been going on for years. It is a sad day for the US when the White house back doors around laws for votes.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListenToYourHeart View Post
I don't really see it as an "accomplishment;" it's just me doing my thing. I don't mind rain. Rain is what make things grow faster. Rain makes me stronger. That's my mentality.

I think your question proposed to me is based on the assumption that I am anti-legal immigration, which is not the case here.

Is the current policy perfect? No. Should the policy perhaps be more restrictive? Maybe. My question to you is, can't you see that it benefits society to allow some of these kids, who are educated here, to stay in the United States and become productive members of society?

For example, don't you see something wrong with the recent Maimi case where they were trying deport a high school girl who was here since she was an infant, and now a valedictorian of her class, and Ivy League bound?
Oh yeah, you're definitely a typical lawyer.

You didn't answer my question either.

I never assumed you were anti-legal immigration, I assumed you were pro-illegal immigratgion, based on your logic that since you immigrated here illegally and ended up where you are now, why shouldn't all illegals have that opportunity.

My question to you is, why can't the same people immigrate into America LeGALLY?

For the years you didn't work a a Lawyer, American taxpayers were subsidizing your life and thus you were a net-drain on its people and infrastructure. This is different from, if you had immigrated legally, you would have been contributing to the American infrastructure you benefitted from at the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration