Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 06:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListenToYourHeart View Post
Geting into an Ivy-League school is an acomplishment that's not unreasonble to imagine that can cause jealousy.
Many people here probably did attend an Ivy. It's not a rare occurrence by any means.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:56 PM

56 posts, read 91,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Many people here probably did attend an Ivy. It's not a rare occurrence by any means.
Okay, let's see how many posters on this thread is attending or attended an Ivy-League school.

Anyone?

By any means? Do you not understand math?

Old 06-16-2012, 07:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That is a myth. We hired a company to reshingle our roof and I was sick and happened to be home when they came. These were not low paid employees or should not have been. I am still wondering about the work they did. I saw them doing something wrong and had to call the company to get the secretary to speak the manager. He was on a job but could not understand when I asked him to stop doing what he was doing to my roof. I won't be calling that company back again. There will be no more workers at my home that do not speak English. I will have that in the next contract. It was really scary for me having someone doing something wrong to my roof, but he didn't understand when I asked him to stop. There should have been at least one person onsite that knew how to communicate with me.
I find this a little strange, only because last year I went through having a new roof put on the house.

Who came out and spoke to you when you got the estimate? Didn't you ask any questions about the workers?

When the first group came out on our roofing job they were there just to rip off the old shingles, they were Latino and spoke Spanish(and quite possibly illegal). They worked from early morning until the sun went down, it was in the 90s and BRUTALLY HOT.

I brought them out cold drinks a couple of times.

Now when the actual roofing job was done it was done by a different crew who were white and your typical good ole boy southern redneck types.

But if you were home sick the first day then they start off with ripping off the old shingles. So I would love to know what they were doing wrong, or was it more that you were annoyed about who showed up?

I can tell you the Spanish speaking guys on the first day worked a lot harder than the rednecks, who would knock off much earlier in the day. We had to hope it didn't rain as they took their sweet time getting the new shingles on.

If you have concerns about who is working at/on your home than before you sign a contract you ask these questions upfront.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 PM

833 posts, read 1,713,443 times
Some posters said the employers who hire them should be held liable.

Alabama's new law did hold the employers liable.

Obama specifically pointed that part of the law out as something he strongly disagreed with.

Why does Obama love illegals so much ?

Old 06-16-2012, 07:21 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ListenToYourHeart View Post
Hum.....I think some of you might be jealous of people like this Miami girl and me.

This Miami girl didn't get where she is today (Valedictorian and Ivy-League admission) by being lazy and talentless, and that admission letter just got handed to her. Some of you have no idea what kind of effort, dedication, hard work, and talent it takes to be a GREAT student (not to be confused with being a good student) despite adversity.
Meh. My younger brother was Valedictorian at WSU when he graduated as a Mechanical Engineer and he spent most of his college years partying. In fact, he was such a partier, most of his class mates were shocked and told him they thought he was an idiot. So for him, he's just smart, without even trying, he really doesn't have to put much effort in to it and yah, it was basically handed to him. He'll be the first to admit it. Difference is, he's a legal citizen of this country.

Edit: Just in case you missed the point, I know WSU is not an Ivy League school, my point was on the Valedictorian thing. It's not that hard to obtain for some.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:47 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Doubtful. We know this is where you point out you did but I'm betting it's a single digit % that Go to Ivy out of the population.

Last edited by Gatornation; 06-16-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 07:57 PM

56 posts, read 91,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Doubtful. We know this is where you point out you did but I'm betting it's a single digit % that Go to Ivy out of population.
I think it's way less than 1%.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 PM

309 posts, read 515,568 times
Receiving a previlage due to some profile/background is nothing worthy to brag about. If anything, the person who receives preferrential treatment should be humble to appreciate the gift. The kind of gift that many others are a lot more qualified for, but are denied simply because the rules of the games are set up against them. Life is not fair.

Having said that, being academically gifted or not has no bearing on who get to break the law, slapping the faces of all law-abiding citizens, and getting away with it.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Why does Obama love illegals so much ?
I'm sure he can relate

Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 PM

67 posts, read 140,535 times
I don't think he will be buying 800,000 votes. These people can't actually vote so to speak. This law means they can just work. Besides, Obama is definitely (and obviously) losing votes with this law. I think that there is definitely an employment problem in America. But I think it would be wrong to just kick out all of the illegal immigrants who came here at a very early age and have been living here for many years just because other people can't find jobs. Firstly, if they were minors who came to America illegally, it is the fault of the parents. The children shouldn't be ridiculed as it wasn't their choice. I know that many Americans are furious at these illegal immigrants who came to the USA at a VERY early age. How could you be angry at someone that came to the USA when they were just 3?

I am a legal immigrant. And I feel just as American as everyone else. I am from Holland and came to the USA when I was 3. I consider myself an "American - Dutch". I would be absolutely devestated if, for some reason, I was removed from the USA just so blood American people could get jobs easily. I would be waving goodbye to the country I know and love, my friends and perhaps my family. I have never found it too hard to get jobs. I have found it tremendously difficult to get GOOD jobs however. But I know that I will get there in the end as I am focussed.

I know that it's hard at the moment to get jobs. But let’s not get angry and start pointing our finger at all types of people. Understand that America is an "immigrant" culture in itself.

I think what Obama did was the right thing to do, morally. Perhaps this law needs more refining, however. I think the "minor" should be under 14, not 16. And I think that they need to be in America under that age for at least 5 years fewer than 10 and 6 years over the age of 14. They should also order all the potential immigrants to be granted working rights to prove their age and years living in the united states.

I just think its wrong to kick out young illegal immigrants that have been here for many years, just as I think its wrong that banks have taken away homes from people due to unemployment. Remember that people came to the USA to escape social problems (IE Ireland and the Potato Famine) just as Mexicans are escaping social problems. They are doing it for their family. Perhaps Obama should focus on relations with Mexico to improve the countries social condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration