U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 01:55 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,763,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Well let's be objective about the issue. (fat chance ) The immigration situation has needed a solution for many years and many administrations. The big problem why it couldn't move through congress was it's a very complex issue with 12 million moving parts. Very hard to get a handle on it all at once and find consensus. Bush tried it and failed. McCain tried it and failed and so did Obama. The order he passed just deals with one small segment of the problem. Admittedly, it was a brilliant strategic politial move on Obama's part. It doesn't solve the whole problem but it does demonstrate compassion for latinos and locks up the latino vote for Obama and other democrats running in local elections.
Remember the saying, "politics is a dirty, back alley, gloves off, brawl. And then there's the ugly side of it."
I don't think this will lock up the Latino vote for Obama and other Democrats. Remember, a good 30% of Latinos are Republicans and a sizable portion of the Latino community is strongly against illegal immigration - they tend to be more against illegal immigration than non-Latinos who are against it. Obama was already polling at around 60% at least in most polls with Latinos. At best, this could help him get to about 70%. And that will likely be counteracted by a further loss of support among white voters and possibly even a (very) slight loss of support among black voters. I think it will probably end up being a wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 04:00 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Well let's be objective about the issue. (fat chance ) The immigration situation has needed a solution for many years and many administrations. The big problem why it couldn't move through congress was it's a very complex issue with 12 million moving parts. Very hard to get a handle on it all at once and find consensus. Bush tried it and failed. McCain tried it and failed and so did Obama. The order he passed just deals with one small segment of the problem. Admittedly, it was a brilliant strategic politial move on Obama's part. It doesn't solve the whole problem but it does demonstrate compassion for latinos and locks up the latino vote for Obama and other democrats running in local elections.
Remember the saying, "politics is a dirty, back alley, gloves off, brawl. And then there's the ugly side of it."
Compassion for Latinos? So illegal immigration is about Latinos? What about some compassion for all Americans regardless of ethnicity?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:11 PM

12,734 posts, read 7,355,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Compassion for Latinos? So illegal immigration is about Latinos? What about some compassion for all Americans regardless of ethnicity?
Well yes, it does demonstrate compassion for all illegals, regardless of ethnicity but this was a very narrow focus ruling and for anybody with a clear vision, an attempt to pander to the Hispanic vote. You know my political bent, Chi..nut and I'll be the first to admit it was pandering.
Compassion for all Americans would be under the Healthcare bill but republicans killed most of the compassionate provisions, neutered the rest of them and are trying to kill what little there is left of it.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Well yes, it does demonstrate compassion for all illegals, regardless of ethnicity but this was a very narrow focus ruling and for anybody with a clear vision, an attempt to pander to the Hispanic vote. You know my political bent, Chi..nut and I'll be the first to admit it was pandering.
Compassion for all Americans would be under the Healthcare bill but republicans killed most of the compassionate provisions, neutered the rest of them and are trying to kill what little there is left of it.
Where is the compassion by Obama and the Democrats for Americans in the illegal immigration issue?

Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Where is the compassion by Obama and the Democrats for Americans in the illegal immigration issue?
Before you can provide a compassionate solution, you must find consensus. Right now and with the past administration there is no consensus for a compassionate solution. One side wants to grant amnesty for all and the other side wants to send every one of them back where they came from. There is no middle ground.
One faction de-humanizes the issue by refusing to acknowledge that there are families, children, human beings involved. Instead, they are all "illegals". The other faction refuses to acknowledge that many of these same individuals are abusing the good graces of the United States.

Only one thing is clear. There will never be total amnesty for all illegal aliens and likewise there will never be total deportation of them either.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,436 times
Quote:
This is not compassion for the millions of Americans who are unemployed. The last thing this country needs are a million more Mexican nationals. Foreigners have no right to demand we meet their needs when our own people are suffering. I'm horrified that a president who was elected to represent the American people has led them to believe otherwlse.

I hate Romney but I hope he runs against this stupidity and forces Obama to change his mind. Our own people should not be punished to make life easier for citizens of the world's 12th largest economy. If they want better lives let them go home and ask that from their own leaders.

This makes Obama look seriously out of touch with the economy. That's not a net benefit for him or the American people.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Before you can provide a compassionate solution, you must find consensus. Right now and with the past administration there is no consensus for a compassionate solution. One side wants to grant amnesty for all and the other side wants to send every one of them back where they came from. There is no middle ground.
One faction de-humanizes the issue by refusing to acknowledge that there are families, children, human beings involved. Instead, they are all "illegals". The other faction refuses to acknowledge that many of these same individuals are abusing the good graces of the United States.

Only one thing is clear. There will never be total amnesty for all illegal aliens and likewise there will never be total deportation of them either.
But we have immigration laws just like every other country and we have every right to enforce them. I feel no compassionate towards illegal aliens that are too lazy to fix their own countries so they come here illegally and steal jobs and benefits from Americans. Why should I feel compassion for them rather than my fellow Americans?

There are American lawbreakers also. Do they get a pass on paying the consequences for their actions just because they have familes, children and are human beings? Think about it!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
But we have immigration laws just like every other country and we have every right to enforce them. I feel no compassionate towards illegal aliens that are too lazy to fix their own countries so they come here illegally and steal jobs and benefits from Americans. Why should I feel compassion for them rather than my fellow Americans?

There are American lawbreakers also. Do they get a pass on paying the consequences for their actions just because they have familes, children and are human beings? Think about it!
I've thought about it. Demonstrating compassion for one group does in no way diminish compassion for another.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I've thought about it. Demonstrating compassion for one group does in no way diminish compassion for another.
But by being compassionate towards illegal aliens we are removing the compassion for Americans. We can't do both! This country belongs to Americans not illegal aliens so since we have to make a choice whom we will be compassionate towards shouldn't it be for American citizens?

These illegal aliens had no compassion for Americans when they rudely crashed our borders and took our jobs and benefits so I see no reason to be compassionate towards them at all.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What do you mean 3 weeks ? It's barely 24 hours and it's a non-issue in the MSM.
That tells me the globalists have fully engulfed us.
Which tells you something. On Friday they were extremely gleeful, it was all over the news, it was like it was the most clever trick Obama ever pulled, he was surely now a shoe-in for the elections. Illegals were out chanting and jeering in the streets over their big conquest.

Then I think the MSM began to realize that with millions of unemployed Americans out there, that maybe they should push the news to the back pages. And they tried to get Romney to come out and back Obama's amnesty but when he stayed mum on the subject, the MSM began to stop reporting altogether on it.

Even those that advise the illegals are now telling them to think twice -- because if they have TOO many crimes in their record, they just could possibly be deported if they come forward to cash in on this amnesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or