U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2012, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,164 posts, read 1,277,354 times
Reputation: 387

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
That's just it, there is no definition on the documents, only check boxes as to what one identifies as. My wife is of Hispanic ethnicity, yet she checks white, go figure. The issue is: Pear Martini: Liquid...not sure if you have filled out any government related forms like this but generally it will be printed that Hispanic people must check the Hispanic box even if they consider themselves "white". Which isn't true as I have shown. The "racial percentages" are but only those that have checked the boxes, not all checked the boxes and some checked only the race box and not the ethnicity box.
In regards to what Pear said, I do agree with you, they can't force you to put Hispanic, but I think it's foolish not to when they have certain definitions whether it's putting "Non" in front of the term or putting a definition in parenthesis. Although, you stated that on welfare forms they don't give you definition, so in those cases the percentages can be heavily skewed and there'd be no way of knowing how many truly use welfare then in terms of race. However, considering whites make up the majority of the population it would make sense for them to be #1.

 
Old 06-20-2012, 04:25 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,712,131 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
In regards to what Pear said, I do agree with you, they can't force you to put Hispanic, but I think it's foolish not to when they have certain definitions whether it's putting "Non" in front of the term or putting a definition in parenthesis. Although, you stated that on welfare forms they don't give you definition, so in those cases the percentages can be heavily skewed and there'd be no way of knowing how many truly use welfare then in terms of race. However, considering whites make up the majority of the population it would make sense for them to be #1.
But whites aren't number one, they are number 2 according to the link. I personally don't care about race or ethnicity as to whom gets welfare. I simply pointed out the misconception as claimed by Pear.
 
Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Liquid...not sure if you have filled out any government related forms like this but generally it will be printed that Hispanic people must check the Hispanic box even if they consider themselves "white".


Please...I lived in Miami which has at least a 60% Hispanic population so don't feel the need to school me on this basic nonsense...Of course I know we are just as diverse as anywhere.


Maybe the students in your life have to have everything done for them, but don't project that on me.

So not only do you have issues with an acceptable, moral way of letting young adults have opportunities but you generally disdain college students as well?

Maybe you wish you could do it all over again, huh?
Uh; cause "Hispanic" ain't a race, that person can check what he wants. Sheesh! Going by what you're saying: Mitt Romney would HAVE to check Hispanic cause his father and 2 grandparents were born in Mexico.
 
Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
Reputation: 47455
clearly the states, overrun with unemployment and strained resources, and DC, are not on the same page. clearly the demand of DC is that the states recognize the exclusive right of the federal government to refuse to enforce immigration law to which they have sworn the oath to defend and uphold. it should be clear that those that refuse to enforce the law should be fired. the question is do we have the political volition to do so. this is a young man's fight not ours. its time to call or fold, your call young america.
.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-20-2012 at 06:31 PM..
 
Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 PM
 
Location: USA
18,548 posts, read 13,683,613 times
Reputation: 12135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I don't know why some would even put white after even reading the definition, are they so ashamed of their ancestry that they feel the need to put white? People who do that remind me of Jessica Alba from years ago when she used to say in interviews things like "I'm American, I'm not Latina, Cameron Diaz is more Latina then me". She was heavily criticized for it and she doesn't seem to do that now, perhaps because she realized she could lose a potential fan base?
Or Alba or Diaz or anyone else with a spanish surname could be like a lot of us that have a family tree that has a grand parent that is Hispanic. Should I be especially proud of my Mexican Grandmother who is part Spanish and Indian compared to my German/French/Italian grandmother. Should I be especially proud of the Indian side of my grand mother and not her Spanish, possibly Conquistador roots, or maybe her Mexican Heritage. Same for my grandfather or my grand parents on my dads side. I really don't feel any kind of allegence to any of their ethnic back grounds, besides theres too many. Pride in yours, or your families accompishments is easy for me to see. Being proud becuase you are a Italian, Mexican, Irish or any other Ethnic group is beyond me. Elighten me why you should be so Proud?

I have a cousin that runs around saying how proud she is it be Italian, the girl is 1/4 Italian, maybe? Maybe she got it from Jersey Shores, who knows? Same thing with another cousin whose dad is Mexican, he is so proud of his Mexican heritage even though he's German/Polish/Spanish/Indian and about as white as you can be and doesn't speak a lick of Spanish. unfortunately, you can get rid of family members

Last edited by LS Jaun; 06-20-2012 at 07:36 PM..
 
Old 06-20-2012, 06:48 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; cause "Hispanic" ain't a race, that person can check what he wants. Sheesh! Going by what you're saying: Mitt Romney would HAVE to check Hispanic cause his father and 2 grandparents were born in Mexico.
No, not really. Just because some of Mitt's family (and I think it was only his father) was born in Mexico does not make Mitt's father nor he a Hispanic. Hispanic is a culture. It is usually the culture of those who have roots in Spain and their primary langauge is Spanish. Mitt was born here and never was Hispanic culturally.
 
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,164 posts, read 1,277,354 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Or Alba or Diaz or anyone else with a spanish surname could be like a lot of us that have a family tree that has a grand parent that is Hispanic. Should I be especially proud of my Mexican Grandmother who is part Spanish and Indian compared to my German/French/Italian grandmother. Should I be especially proud of the Indian side of my grand mother and not her Spanish, possibly Conquistador roots, or maybe her Mexican Heritage. Same for my grandfather or my grand parents on my dads side. I really don't feel any kind of allegence to any of their ethnic back grounds, besides theres too many. Pride in yours, or your families accompishments is easy for me to see. Being proud becuase you are a Italian, Mexican, Irish or any other Ethnic group is beyond me. Elighten me why you should be so Proud?

I have a cousin that runs around saying how proud she is it be Italian, the girl is 1/4 Italian, maybe? Maybe she got it from Jersey Shores, who knows? Same thing with another cousin whose dad is Mexican, he is so proud of his Mexican heritage even though he's German/Polish/Spanish/Indian and about as white as you can be and doesn't speak a lick of Spanish. unfortunately, you can get rid of family members
I suppose it's something you are taught by your family as you grow up? Also, seeing how a lot of people hang out with people similar to themselves the idea or pride continues to propagate in some of them? Halle Berry is half white, but she apparently feels more towards her black roots as that was how people perceived her and made her feel; could it have the same effect on some Latinos (wouldn't know about the Germans and Italians ask them)?
 
Old 06-21-2012, 03:14 AM
Yac
 
5,874 posts, read 6,293,306 times
I love it how the thread became about race/ethnicity. Since apparently no one wants to discuss the topic anymore and all you want to do is fight and nitpick, I'm closing this thread.
:Smack:
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top