Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
When the working class took a big hit due to excessive illegal immigration which undercut wages and increased rents.
And I bet you can't really substantiate any of this. You're just basing this on what you think you see, or 'Barney' the unemployed construction worker at the local bar, or some cut-and-past, 'like' button spam that got posted on someone's FB account.

If we took away the social safety net that republicans seem to despise, then I might be inclined to agree that illegals might end up taking jobs. But U.S. citizens typically have the option of welfare and crashing at a family member's house before they get so desperate that they end up chasing jobs picking fruit or working at a meat processing facility.

U.S. workers can't even become middle class by having those kinds of jobs anyway. They were once part of the middle class when they were building cars and putting together garments but those factories were long ago shipped overseas. I don't think anyone in the city of Flint, Michigan is going to be moving to the San Joaquin Valley to pick fruit in 110-degree weather anytime soon.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,667,657 times
It appears Rice is just another dumb bunny who doesn't understand the meaning of 'illegal'.

Immigrants aren't the problem.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Try moving down south where the illegals outnumber the citizens and see if you feel the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
It's an assumption that all illegals do that, only 25% of Hispanics are on welfare and not all Hispanics are illegal (remember we have discussed this before).
25% is 25% too many leeching off the American taxpayer. And it is a heck of a lot higher in California! How about the increased crime rates? Illiterate children and their parents? Overpopulation? I could go on and on about the damage caused, but refuse to participate when people call us "racist" for pointing out the elephant in the room.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It appears Rice is just another dumb bunny who doesn't understand the meaning of 'illegal'.

Immigrants aren't the problem.
No, it is their misguided supporters.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
And I bet you can't really substantiate any of this. You're just basing this on what you think you see, or 'Barney' the unemployed construction worker at the local bar, or some cut-and-past, 'like' button spam that got posted on someone's FB account.

If we took away the social safety net that republicans seem to despise, then I might be inclined to agree that illegals might end up taking jobs. But U.S. citizens typically have the option of welfare and crashing at a family member's house before they get so desperate that they end up chasing jobs picking fruit or working at a meat processing facility.

U.S. workers can't even become middle class by having those kinds of jobs anyway. They were once part of the middle class when they were building cars and putting together garments but those factories were long ago shipped overseas. I don't think anyone in the city of Flint, Michigan is going to be moving to the San Joaquin Valley to pick fruit in 110-degree weather anytime soon.
Only 5% of those "pickers" are illegal. Check out the restaurants and construction industry to see where US citizens are being displaced by illegal aliens in California.

Two pet peeves: claiming the illegals do the work "Americans won't do" and that those of us who are law-abiding are being racists. Puh-leeeeeeeeze.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:57 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
When the working class took a big hit due to excessive illegal immigration which undercut wages and increased rents.
The working class began taking hits long before illegal immigration became a front-page issue, and continues to suffer mostly for reasons unrelated to it. The current economic situation had absolutely nothing to do with immigration, legal or otherwise.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:06 PM

31,025 posts, read 22,059,932 times
When theyre numbers are almost 10% of the US population. Controlled legal immigration has always been the solution. And I'm not talking about just Mexico, it's many countries. If we had Mexicos Immigration laws, Illegals would be fined and be sent back to their home country, and pay for the ride.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The working class began taking hits long before illegal immigration became a front-page issue, and continues to suffer mostly for reasons unrelated to it. The current economic situation had absolutely nothing to do with immigration, legal or otherwise.
Illegal immigration has been a major problem for 30-plus years in the US.

I could retire in Mexico, live in a nice rental (because we aren't allowed to purchase real estate) with a maid for less than $1,500 a month... Which is probably what I am going to do before Mexico is annexed to California.

Mexico has a strong middle class, something we no longer have in the states. I wonder how complex Mexico's immigration laws are for US citizens who want to retire there?

Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
They became the enemy when they become darker than Italians that's the only thing I can think of.

You are all downright racist because if these were Scandinavians coming here illegally you probably wouldn't give a rats ass.

People without papers don't "take away jobs" and "increases rents"... are you serious?? How ignorant can some people be.

Here in Massachusetts illegals are somewhat protected as this is a very progressive state and we have 6% unemployment (natural healthy unemployment rate) rate and people here generally make more $ doing almost anything outside of the service sector.
Uh; I'm of Irish family and def DON'T illegal alien Irish here in the US.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:14 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
If it bothers you so much than leave Texas, I mean there are 49 other states where undocumented people wont torment you as much. Please enlighten us how are you being screwed over by these people every day?

They don't get welfare...how is it possible without SS...so other reasons

illegal invaders? I see why you are effected because you don't have any education whatsoever?

An invasion is a military offensive consisting of armed forces of one geopolitical group aggresively entering territory of another geopolitical group generally with the objective of conquering.

So please don't make false claims. Last time I checked the Mexican army isn't invading the US trying to reestablish a new order.

The worst thing you can call them is an illegal immigrant but in truth no person should be called illegal. We don't call pot smoking kids "oh he's an illegal child".
Illegal aliens ARE invaders. Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration