U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Denver
8,127 posts, read 10,161,096 times
Reputation: 3987

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Well educated + illegal = oxymoron.
Just another stereotype you anti's try to promote:

Florida illegal immigrant seeks law license - latimes.com

MediaExperts.Net » Illegal valedictorian facing deportation

Despite her stellar achievements, an illegal immigrant is trapped between two Americas - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 AM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 832,601 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm downright amazed that people on this message board are attacking children.


This law was designed for people who were brought here very young. They don't know anyone or any thing about life in their PARENTS country except for common knowledge stuff like you and I and they are being sent to a developing country they know nothing about.

This is currently happening....kids at age 18 are forced to move because they were brought here by their parents.

How is this so dreadful for you guys?

What happened to Americans wanting to protect hungry brown children?

800,000 is not a crazy number...these people will be in places like Florida, California, and New York/ Jersey so if you have such xenophobia...stay in your rural good for nothing town while this influx of new legal immigrants help grow the economy in the areas they DO reside in.

This is a great move. It's morally correct and good for the economy because anyone who has taken intro to macroeconomics knows that an influx of new people is great for economic growth.


Also it's not like there is a cap on the number of jobs out there...if you really can't find work stop hunkering behind your computer bitching about the world and RELOCATE to a place with jobs just like these kid's parents have.
Attacking children?

This is not a law, it is but an attempt at granting relief to some through policy that is not meant to be used in this way. They are bending policy to fit their ideals, which is the entirety of this issue. To assume that all these "children" were brought here "very young" is being naive at best. Many came here as teenagers, even more came here over the age of 18, I mean do you really think that people were willing to carry a small child through the desert for days? What would be the chance for survival? The few that came here at very young ages were probably brought by visas and then simply overstayed.

PEW thinks the number is going to be closer to 1.4 million, I, however doubt it ever reaches 800,000 in the next 6-7 months since this must be granted on a case by case basis and it must be applied for for which DHS and USCIS has no program for a large influx of applications. There is also no charge for filing as of yet, hence why they said they can not begin to grant or process for atleast 60 days from the 15th. This is also discretion from each individual office as a "should" happen, it is not a "shall" happen type of memorandum, thus the discretion falls on the officer in charge of the specific office with the illegal being processed.

These children area already here, as are their parents, so thinking an "influx" of new immigrants is good for economics is, again, naive. There is nothing new about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
^^^^So just make children suffer? Children who want to go to college and work and contribute to this country? The only country they know


Do spanish speakers really bother you? What if they were Canadian?

How is it a reward? There is a cap of 800,000 that will probably be filled up within a year.
Referring to persons over the age of 16 and less then 30 as children is laughable. And here I though these DREAM eligible persons were form all nationalities and spoke all the languages of the world. There is no 800,000 cap, it was a number that they simply came up with. Like I said, PEW thinks that number will be as high as 1.4 million.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 06-18-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Hudson County, NJ
1,493 posts, read 1,535,132 times
Reputation: 1148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
^^^^So just make children suffer? Children who want to go to college and work and contribute to this country? The only country they know


Do spanish speakers really bother you? What if they were Canadian?

How is it a reward? There is a cap of 800,000 that will probably be filled up within a year.

Why do the tax payers always have to worry about the children suffering, but no one ever points the finger at the irresponsible parents?

Point the finger at them first then say how everyone else in the US should support them. I don't have kids because I cant afford them and I can't afford to give them the lifestyle I want them to have,yet. Why do I understand that but others don't?

I need to get my finances and life in order first before I can support a family under me, and they need to be fully supported before I can help other families. The US needs to do the same and support its family (citizens) before it can help other families. We cant support other people right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 AM
 
16,700 posts, read 13,966,612 times
Reputation: 6776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Attacking children?

This is not a law, it is but an attempt at granting relief to some through policy that is not meant to be used in this way. They are bending policy to fit their ideals, which is the entirety of this issue. To assume that all these "children" were brought here "very young" is being naive at best. Many came here as teenagers, even more came here over the age of 18, I mean do you really think that people were willing to carry a small child through the desert for days? What would be the chance for survival? The few that came here at very young ages were probably brought by visas and then simply overstayed.


Referring to persons over the age of 16 and less then 30 as children is laughable. And here I though these DREAM eligible persons were form all nationalities and spoke all the languages of the world. There is no 800,000 cap, it was a number that they simply came up with. Like I said, PEW thinks that number will be as high as 1.4 million.
This relief refers to people over the age of 16 and less than 30, but that came to the USA under the age of 16. People that came here above the age of 16 are not benefiting from the new ruling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 11:11 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 1,262,995 times
Reputation: 2334
You want them then you take them. Many of them have a GED and nothing else. Oh and three out of wedlock kids and a belief that laws should be obeyed whenever they feel like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 11:15 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 1,262,995 times
Reputation: 2334
Most illegals barely have a high school diploma if that. The hispanic high school dropout rate (and many young hispanics are illegals) is much higher than that of other groups. The notion of an illegal lawyer is preposterous anyway as someone who breaks the law should hardly be entrusted to enforce it.

Less than half of their parents have even a high school diploma compared to 80% of the general population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
75,376 posts, read 36,552,855 times
Reputation: 18366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Most illegals barely have a high school diploma if that. The hispanic high school dropout rate (and many young hispanics are illegals) is much higher than that of other groups. The notion of an illegal lawyer is preposterous anyway as someone who breaks the law should hardly be entrusted to enforce it.

Less than half of their parents have even a high school diploma compared to 80% of the general population.
Don't kid yourself. The Dreamies make a significant number.

Each year 65K illegals graduate from HS. Here are some immigration details regarding the Dream Act and the numbers of who would benefit. This document is dated 5/2011. The numbers don't seem to agree with the 800K the President/DHS mentioned..looks like over 2 million to me.

The DREAM Act | Immigration Policy Center
  • 114,000 potential beneficiaries with at least an associate’s degree would be immediately eligible for conditional LPR status.
  • 612,000 potential beneficiaries would be immediately eligible for conditional LPR status because they already have a high-school diploma or GED (and would have the incentive to complete two years of college or two years of military service to be eligible for permanent status).
  • 934,000 children under 18 could be eligiblefor conditional LPR status in the future, which would provide them with incentives to finish high school and pursue a post-secondary education or join the military.
  • 489,000 potential beneficiaries could be eligible for conditional LPR status in the future if they obtain a GED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 12:03 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 832,601 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
This relief refers to people over the age of 16 and less than 30, but that came to the USA under the age of 16. People that came here above the age of 16 are not benefiting from the new ruling.
This relief is for those that came under the age of sixteen(• came to the United States under the age of sixteen) and are not over the age of 30 (• is not above the age of thirty). Otherwise an Excellent clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 04:20 PM
 
2,415 posts, read 1,547,520 times
Reputation: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
^^^^So just make children suffer? Children who want to go to college and work and contribute to this country? The only country they know


Do spanish speakers really bother you? What if they were Canadian?

How is it a reward? There is a cap of 800,000 that will probably be filled up within a year.
And your naivety and "compassion" is EXACTLY why we have this fricking problem in the first place. Illegals ESPECIALLY Mexicans play off, manipulate and otherwise take advantage of Americans who think like you do. That's the entire point of them coming here and having as many kids i.e. anchor babies as they can. They know they can hide behind "oh what about the poor kids". These are NOT KIDS! They are 18+ year olds!!!!!!!!!!!! My father was in an orphanage in France and when he turned 18 guess what? They kicked him out on the street. He survived. Plus these kids are probably bilingual and have remained very in touch with their "latino/hispanic culture". It would be no problem for them to go back to where they came from. This year it's 800,000, netx year it's 1.5 million, the following year it's 2.5 million. And you're just flat out wrong. California spends $22 billion a year on ILLEGALS including the 800,000 you feel sorry for. California's budget defiict is $16 billion do the fricking math!

And most of these kids have parents? Their ILLEGAL parents can worry about what to do with them when they all get deported back to whatever third world craphole they came from. I'm sick of this crap! Im an American and it's hard enough to make it being BORN here! LEGAL American kids need all the help they can get nowadays in the form of financial help for college, jobs, healthcare etc. Not everyone in America is a rich white gringo!

If the US government wants to take care of these leeches fine by me! But don't raise my fricken taxes and suck off the American middle class tax payer. Let the rich pay for them and petition the governments of where these people came from to pony up the funds it requires to keep them all here! Throw the parents in jail and into forced labor camps until they pay back every last dime they've sucked off the America middle class tax payer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 07:18 PM
 
9,521 posts, read 3,270,574 times
Reputation: 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm downright amazed that people on this message board are attacking children.


This law was designed for people who were brought here very young. They don't know anyone or any thing about life in their PARENTS country except for common knowledge stuff like you and I and they are being sent to a developing country they know nothing about.

This is currently happening....kids at age 18 are forced to move because they were brought here by their parents.

How is this so dreadful for you guys?

What happened to Americans wanting to protect hungry brown children?

800,000 is not a crazy number...these people will be in places like Florida, California, and New York/ Jersey so if you have such xenophobia...stay in your rural good for nothing town while this influx of new legal immigrants help grow the economy in the areas they DO reside in.

This is a great move. It's morally correct and good for the economy because anyone who has taken intro to macroeconomics knows that an influx of new people is great for economic growth.


Also it's not like there is a cap on the number of jobs out there...if you really can't find work stop hunkering behind your computer bitching about the world and RELOCATE to a place with jobs just like these kid's parents have.
Actually it's time to shut the door on most immigration and really shut the door on Mexico so other countries can send people here legally.

YOu're NOT talking about Mexicans cause going hungry ain't a problem there. Let the rich Mexicans feed their poor people. Mexico ain't poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:36 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top