Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

I see this as a repeat of what happened decades ago.

"Let's offshore manufacturing. Goods will be cheaper and people can move up to higher paying jobs"
Remember that ? People bought it lock, stock and barrel. Fast forward and you see that all those higher paying jobs are being offshored.

Today we hear:
"Oh they are doing jobs Americans don't want to do."
Yup, so your placated that these new legal workers won't tread on your stomping ground.

They are playing the people for fools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
As per recent opinion poll 19% Americans think immigration as
important most consider jobs and economy as more important
For most Americans illegal immigration dont affect them as much
as economy
That 800 thousand illegal aliens MAYBE getting work permits WILL hurt Americans looking for work. Tho I think most of those Dream Act illegals will be out of luck.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
It isn't that employers can't find legal or American workers at a "fair" wage ......
Since you like to bring up "fair" wages. Go ahead and list some for laborer positions, cleaning positions, etc...

I'm not pro-illegal and I am pro small business owner. That being said do any of you know the costs required to run a small business at a profit? Whats a "fair" wage for a business owner?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Since you like to bring up "fair" wages. Go ahead and list some for laborer positions, cleaning positions, etc...

I'm not pro-illegal and I am pro small business owner. That being said do any of you know the costs required to run a small business at a profit? Whats a "fair" wage for a business owner?
A fair wage is at least minimum wage and that is only for the lowest skilled jobs. Construction use to pay above minimum wage and in many cases double minimum wage or more. Now those wages have been cut in half with illegal alien labor.

How did businesses succeed before the large influx of cheap, illegal labor? A fair wage was the going wage prior to that. You can't make a profit without breaking the law? Perhaps you shouldn't own a business then.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:35 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
As per recent opinion poll 19% Americans think immigration as
important most consider jobs and economy as more important
For most Americans illegal immigration dont affect them as much
as economy

Which is precisely why this will hurt Obama. This has a tremendous effect on the ECONOMY!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
For such a long time, the anti-illegals on this forum have led us to believe that there is going to be an uprising if anything was done to legalize or accommodate some of the illegal immigrant here. Well, it's been a couple of days since Obama made that announcement and i don't really see anyone too upset about it. So what gives? I think this issue is going to fade away in a couple of days and people will forget all about it.
Why? Did Obama wave a magic wand and instantly legalize Dreamies? If so, I missed it. As for accommodations, illegals have been receiving those for years. Nothing new.

Quote:
The use of prosecutorial discretion confers no substantive right, immigration status, or pathway to citizenship. Only the Congress, acting through its legislative authority, can confer these rights.
Quote:
Those who demonstrate that they meet the criteria will be eligible to receive deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal, and will be eligible to apply for work authorization.
DHS: Secretary Napolitano Announces Deferred Action Process for Young People Who Are Low Enforcement Priorities

In other words, Obama's EO has changed nothing. In fact, DHS was already focusing on so-called "criminal" aliens, allowing Dreamies and other illegals to have sit-ins at congressional offices, block intersections, and brazenly proclaim their illegal status on major news networks without the fear of apprehension or deportation. Moreover, I doubt his new policy will ever be fully implemented. They even stated it will take at least 60 days before they can begin implementation of the application process. How very convenient. After all, by their own admission, USCIS currently lacks the resources to adequately track simple tourist visas (as evidenced by the fact that at least 40% of illegals are visa overstays). So, we certainly can't expect them to expeditiously tackle hundreds of thousands or even millions of new applicants, can we? Even then, a select group of illegals will only become "eligible to apply" for two-year visas and work permits. There are no guarantees they will actually receive them. This is simply a ploy to galvanize the Hispanic voting bloc who had lost faith in Obama, and were most likely not going to vote. Now, they will eagerly vote for him.

Remember, to secure the Hispanic vote in 2008, he "promised" he would tackle CIR/Dream Act during his first 100 days in office. In addition, he "promised" he would pass an immigration bill before the end of his first term. To the dismay of Hispanic voters and other illegal alien supporters, he reneged on both. He's a shrewd politician, I'll give him that. Despite his abysmal immigration record, all he had to do was throw another bone at Hispanic voters, and they again have fallen for his election strategy hook, line, and sinker. Some people are so gullible.

Interestingly, he announced his EO the week prior to his meeting with Hispanic leaders, who were outraged at his deportation record and his failure to honor his pre-election promises. Likewise, to garner support from gays, he suddenly "evolved" only days prior to an important fundraiser by proponents of same-sex marriage. Coincidence? I think not.

If he fails to deliver his Dreamie promise, he can easily blame it on a lack of resources due to the economy, unforeseen issues in the verification process, or even obstructionism by Republican members of Congress. Let's not forget, Congress will still have to approve funding for this program. Obama doesn't have to deliver. He only has to convince the sheeple he tried. His goal is reelection, period. If he succeeds, it won't matter if he loses the Hispanic voting bloc, will it?

I think your celebration is a bit premature. Thus far, you have nothing but his directive to DHS. As of today, Dreamies are still illegal, still ineligible to work, and still yearning for the passage of the Dream Act and a path to citizenship. Bottom line: Don't count your chickens before they hatch. You may discover you have AGAIN been duped.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:42 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I doubt they can gather enough supporters to protest. Look at this forum for example, the same 5 posters vehemently post and rep each other over the last 5 years. There just aren't many people in America who get excited about the issue.

this

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Apathy Eleanora1, apathy.

More fuss was made over the reporter interrupting the President vs what the President actually said.

The realization will come in a few years when college educated Dreamies are fully integrated into the white collar world.

The goal is to get these kids into possible white collar professions, I don't understand your fear sir.

Also from the interviews of kids (18-20 years old) who would be impacted by this all seem to be dreaming to go to college....how can this harm the economy?

Any economist would say this will be beneficial to economic growth.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:45 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times
To the OP: There are no mass protests because deep down inside people know it's wrong to protest helping young adults trying to make it in the world.

There is a reason why 14 year olds come here on inner tubes through the Atlantic and foreign cruise ship workers jump ship and swim to the US shore.

We have it a lot better than most other places.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:45 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Were you really expecting these armchair whiners to actually do a protest similar to OWS?
We are too busy loading our guns, stockpiling food, water, ammo, medical supplies, etc. for when the serious stuff begins. This may come very soon in Arizona, and likely California and other neighboring states. You want violence, you just may get it, perhaps as soon as Thursday. When the Supreme Court rules in favor of Arizona and SB1070 and the SHTF, the illegals, led by the radical groups, are going to cause some damage. Law enforcement has prepared for this possibility in advance, and may or may not be able to control and suppress the violence. Expect the usual marches and demonstrations if SB1070 is upheld, but after that ??

Old 06-19-2012, 12:09 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Uh we have lives and jobs?

Your point?

If it makes you feel any better I wrote the president. I'm a Dem and I think he may have just lost the election. He put the needs of illegals and their racist cheerleaders in the hispanic lobby above the needs of our children and the unemployed.
Wait, how can you all have jobs when illegals are taking them all? Surely at least one of you is unemployed because of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration