Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Here's 3 quick sources

http://www.migrationpolicy.org/pubs/Hanson-Dec09.pdf
Thats a net fiscal cost of $14Billion per year to the GDP and another $4.2Billion they take in child tax credits from ITIN filing, not counting their social costs, which follow:

Here is the Dallas Feds saying the $89,000 costs
How about from the NRC:Now are you telling me you don't know how to research anything?

A line pulled from one of the first paragraphs of your source:

"Despite all this, illegal immigration’s overall impact on the US economy is small. Low-skilled
native workers who compete with unauthorized immigrants are the clearest losers"

So if you can truly prove an illegal immigrant stole your job, get some skills...this is America! If you can't make it here you can't make it anywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:12 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Actually all people who work for me (or I've subed too) have been e-verified if they work for me in this country (US). I just hire enough to get the job done at the right price and done at the price quoted (if I misquote, which hasnt happened in decades, then I cover the overage and not my customer).
Good. I am glad that you only hire legal workers but your posts implied otherwise or at least it seemed you were defending employers who do hire unauthorized workers.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:59 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
A line pulled from one of the first paragraphs of your source:

"Despite all this, illegal immigration’s overall impact on the US economy is small. Low-skilled
native workers who compete with unauthorized immigrants are the clearest losers"

So if you can truly prove an illegal immigrant stole your job, get some skills...this is America! If you can't make it here you can't make it anywhere
This isn't about proving if someone stole your job, but nice try at changing the argument. The issue was they are not economically beneficial as you claimed.

As young as you are and in college (naive to actual life), do you think it is easy for low-skilled native workers who are say in their 40's or 50's to go out and get "some skills"? It's not quite as simple as you think it is. Why should they have to compete with illegal aliens? Why should an American Citizen have to compete with an illegal for a job in his own country? Why should a business owner have to compete with another business using illegal labor?

Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
All hail the all knowing Benicar! You can spin it anyway you want, but this is victory for the pro-immigrant lobby.
What victory? You do realize this is nothing more then a repeat of the Morton memo, right? Third Time's the Charm? Doubts about Obama's Deferred Action Policy - Citizen Orange

There is NO legal status given, and no guarantee of either discretion or work authorization. DHS has had this ability since its inception, did you know that? Do you think Obama's policy is better than Rubio's plan? Victory, ... yeah, keep thinking that.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
at least it seemed you were defending employers who do hire unauthorized workers.
Its a supply, demand, time and what customers are willing to pay issue. I have many subs who will adjust their rates of pay who believe that some is better than none and continuously work on contracts for me. Then I get the ones who hit me hard the first time out who for some reason think that I will pay whatever they quote and thus think none is better then some. Then you wonder why many contractors go under. In my construction (flipping distressed properties) LLC, I can't just buy a property based on its cost. I have to figure out if I am going to have enough subs to do the work. My biggest hurdle is getting laborers to do grunt work and that supply is nearly none. But I have good subs that understand the market and will take a rate cut and do grunt work at a couple of steps above min wage. As I said before some is better than none. In my IT LLC, its another story where I have no choice but to outsource outside the US. But outsourcing is not part of this thread so I'll simply state that I can't do all four without it.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:53 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
All hail the all knowing Benicar! You can spin it anyway you want, but this is victory for the pro-immigrant lobby.
The pro-immigrant lobby? Really? I didn't realize LEGAL immigrants were the issue. After all, they don't need a directive to DHS for them to become "eligible to apply" for a work permit, do they?

Again, nothing has changed. When Dreamies are issued work permits and SSNs, then you can have a small celebration. Until then, it's just another Obama directive. And, let's not forget the outcome of his previous immigration promises. Your "victory" reminds me of Bush's "Mission Accomplished."

Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
This is not a victory for anyone as it is not a permanent solution to any of the obvious problems. It is however a chance for a number of people to have a shot at a normal life. Said before and Ill say it again. Competition is a good thing. The cream always rises when allowed. I don't agree with what our President has done, but then it still more than anyone else has tried to do.
Mr. president, this isn't the answer but thank you for at least trying to make a difference.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:10 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
This is not a victory for anyone as it is not a permanent solution to any of the obvious problems. It is however a chance for a number of people to have a shot at a normal life. Said before and Ill say it again. Competition is a good thing. The cream always rises when allowed. I don't agree with what our President has done, but then it still more than anyone else has tried to do.
Mr. president, this isn't the answer but thank you for at least trying to make a difference.
They can't have a shot at a normal life in their own countries? Competition from illegal aliens or amnestying them to compete for jobs when jobs are scarce is a good thing? Wow, who would have thunk it? Yes, Obama is making a difference alright. He made things worse for unemployed Americans and sent a message that if you bring your kids to our country illegally the sympathy card will be played and they will get amnesty. The parents who dragged them here will probably get amnesty also down the road. Help, I want the old tinman back!

Old 06-20-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
This isn't much of anything, an extension of the Morton memo. No legality whatsoever, must apply for discretion (which is up to the OIC at the local office as a "should" do thing not a "shall" do), must apply for work authorization (which isn't easily obtained), wa must be renewed every 2 years, they can still be deported at a moments notice. Not much of a normal life.

This was nothing more than Obama giving something he was already doing and making it look like something DREAM'ers wanted. At least Rubios plan would have given them legalization, for which I would be arguing against. Obama has pulled a fast one on everybody.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:47 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
And a horrible setback for the American people! Go high five yourselves some more. You know what's going to happen now? More overcrowded schools, fewer jobs and more unemployed. Your taxes will go up to support Latin America's underclass.

It's sort of insane to be happy about that unless you're an illegal or a high school dropout from Mexico with five children you can't support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration