Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You gotta be careful with these type of polls. If they asked "Do you agree with Obama........." about 50% would say yes just to agree with Obama and not know anything about the issue.
Absolutely true. And then they would blame Bush and call you a racist for not agreeing. Standard operating procedure from Obama supporters.

Obama can't be held accountable for jack, because he is "Special".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:49 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,160 times
Doesn't surprise me. This stupid stunt recently gained him a lot more hispanic voters and some of the people who support him are just plain stupid.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:38 AM

387 posts, read 591,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I think that poster was referring to the following:

"But here's a fact that goes without much attention: Asians have now taken over Latinos as the largest group of new arrivals every year.
In 2010, 36% of new immigrants were Asians compared to 31% for Hispanics, according to a report released Tuesday by the Pew Research Center."

Asians, more than Latinos, are largest group of new arrivals in U.S. – In America - CNN.com Blogs

While most are not illegal, excepting those who overstay their visas and/or are smuggled in via container ships, etc., I actually think that this is more alarming for our country since they are more likely to take higher-paying jobs than are their Latino counterparts.

Anyway, doesn't surprise me that so many support the president. I've not heard anyone I know personally express disapproval. Small sample size, sure, but, there you go.
How is it alarming avg Asian immigrant has much higher education Several of them have Phds and some even start a business Even in US schools majority of people getting Phd and masters in science and engineering are foreign students.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:40 AM

387 posts, read 591,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah, the thought that 420+ people represent the entire US population as "overwhelming" is totally plausible.
I guess you need to go to school how surveys are usually done

Old 06-20-2012, 05:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
I guess you need to go to school how surveys are usually done
On any given day you can find one poll to support an issue/person and also find a poll that disagrees with an issue/person.

Polls have agendas. And the results are all based on how the questions are worded.

In 2009 50% did not favor amnesty.
FOX News poll: 50% of Americans support ‘amnesty’ | Immigration Chronicles | a Chron.com blog

In 2010 over 60% of Americans did not favor amnesty.
https://www.numbersusa.com/content/n...nding-birthrig

Here's another poll..majority of Americans support reform but not amnesty.
Poll shows broad support for immigration reform | Immigration Chronicles | a Chron.com blog

Old 06-20-2012, 06:03 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
On any given day you can find one poll to support an issue/person and also find a poll that disagrees with an issue/person.

Polls have agendas. And the results are all based on how the questions are worded.

In 2009 50% did not favor amnesty.
FOX News poll: 50% of Americans support ‘amnesty’ | Immigration Chronicles | a Chron.com blog

In 2010 over 60% of Americans did not favor amnesty.
https://www.numbersusa.com/content/n...nding-birthrig

Here's another poll..majority of Americans support reform but not amnesty.
Poll shows broad support for immigration reform | Immigration Chronicles | a Chron.com blog
NumbersUsa polls carries no credibility whatsoever.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
NumbersUsa polls carries no credibility whatsoever.
See, you just "dismissed" that poll.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,483 times
I think think this whole poll media ploy is just a distraction from the real issue. Abuse of power for the benefit of the current potus reelection bid. Americans and legal immigrants from all nationalities should be enraged about this latest dictatorial action. By passing the democratic process is not forgivable IMO.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Who do you vote for?
Romney Outlines Approach to Immigration in Speech to Latino Officials - NYTimes.com

Mr. Romney’s campaign released an outline of his plan, which would include giving green cards to immigrants who earn advanced degrees at American universities; providing a path to legal status for illegal immigrants who serve in the military; and cutting red tape.“As president, I will stand for a path to legal status for anyone who is willing to stand up and defend this great nation through military service,” Mr. Romney said.

The nearly twenty-minute speech was met with tepid applause and moments of pointed silence.

So sad to see our own citizens betrayed by our elected officials.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:59 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,123 times
This poll was taken the very next couple of days (over the weekend) after Obama came out with his speech. There was and still is so much mis-information out there on this policy that of course the initial numbers will show good, but watch as the information gets cleared up and time goes by, those numbers will flip. This short spike in approval will be just that, a short spike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration