U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:33 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,959,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
So Obama, in a blatant bid for Hispanic votes, allows these people, who have taken up room in our classrooms, to also take our jobs.

I just heard on NPR that Asians are now the largest group of immigrants to the US 'because we need more technological people to fill jobs. There are many Americans who would love these jobs, but they would demand a living wage.

I don't think people realize that our government, both parties, have systematically acted to bread the backs of American labor.

We are going to have to compete at the level of those in third world nations.

Boy, am I happy that I never had any kids.
IF you read the artical you would have seen (Highly skilled) 60% of Asians are college grads.

There is a shortage of skilled nurses in this country. The filipines send quite a few here. What do you suggest we fill those nursing jobs with history or music majors? This is but 1 example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 AM

86,093 posts, read 70,269,098 times
Gee, with work permits now they can go after the jobs that Americans do want.
Did anyone think of that ?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,959,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gee, with work permits now they can go after the jobs that Americans do want.
Did anyone think of that ?
Or work the jobs they currently work illegally? Now they can pay their taxes. Not use ID theft or fraud as a vehicle. maybe this is better than what we were doing for the last 30 years?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Or work the jobs they currently work illegally? Now they can pay their taxes. Not use ID theft or fraud as a vehicle. maybe this is better than what we were doing for the last 30 years?
The age group is 16-30. Anyone over 30 is going to continue to work illegally.
Most construction workers/landscape workers/janitorial workers look older than 30.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 AM

9,073 posts, read 15,523,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I doubt this is true when so many illegal aliens are pouring over our border on a daily basis from Mexico and other Latino countries. We don't have a border with Asia. Asians would have a long ways to go to match the number of Latinos here both legally and illegally. Most Asians aren't here illegally either.
Is anything good enough for you folks?

When we say something, you want a link.
When we have a link, you doubt the link is true.

The anti-illegals are the most cynical group, I swear.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:22 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,805,102 times
Quote:
Am i reading this right tinman01? Haven't read your posts in a long time!!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,669,543 times
The building I work at is home to 4 IT companies

They employ Indians and Asians mostly. It didn't use to be this way when I first started working here

I guess those are jobs that Americans won't do either........ Ha.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 AM

9,073 posts, read 15,523,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
The building I work at is home to 4 IT companies

They employ Indians and Asians mostly. It didn't use to be this way when I first started working here

I guess those are jobs that Americans won't do either........ Ha.
This country has been under-producing scientifically for a while now, and we may be feeling the effects.

Computer Science enrollment in the US went down every year from 2000-2007, but it is growing right now:

reviewjournal.com -- News - COMPUTER SCIENCE: Class enrollment down

Computer Science Enrollment Is Down by Half Since 2000 - Wired Campus - The Chronicle of Higher Education

US computer science drought may be bottoming out | Ars Technica

Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
This country has been under-producing scientifically for a while now, and we may be feeling the effects.

Computer Science enrollment in the US went down every year from 2000-2007, but it is growing right now:

reviewjournal.com -- News - COMPUTER SCIENCE: Class enrollment down

Computer Science Enrollment Is Down by Half Since 2000 - Wired Campus - The Chronicle of Higher Education

US computer science drought may be bottoming out | Ars Technica
mid-90's is when the software offshoring started. Then you had the dot com bust. Then you had the increased H1-B visas. Lots of things contributed to that downtrend and it was not just education.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,189,169 times
Quote:
There are no jobs sans crop picking that most Americans won't do. By allowing them to remain on those jobs just because then they can pay taxes still denies Americans those jobs and that is the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration