U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:07 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,185,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The college grads want the jobs these illegals are doing? No I don't think so. I work with college grads and those arrogant grads are not about to get thier hands dirty if they can help it. Mommy and daddy taught them that they don't have too.
The teens of today. A hard job is burger king or McDonalds. Its fine for them because they have no real drive or work ethic unless it comes to going on break.
I hear it all the time. John is a great worker around the house. He cuts the grass and takes care of the yard etc. At work he is as lazy as the day is long and always demands to know why he has to do a job. Drive by John's house and the yard is a wreck. Parents are blind to their childrens faults.
Chances are a good % of those 800,000 already have jobs so what changed?
I remember watching Morton Downy Junior way back in the 80's. ( forerunner to Jerry springer to be sure)
He would have paid actors perform as guests etc. He had these hill billy cracker talking necks on they complained about minorities on welfare and having too many babies. Soon whites will be out numbered so he and his wife had 8 kids and were on welfare just so them minorities couldn't get it all. LOL
When I hear the argument that illegals and legal immigrants are taking jobs away from our kids I can agree some jobs. Not all or even most. Some peple you can't even pay to work, but you sure can pay them not to.
Why all the negative stereotyping of our American workforce all of a sudden and a near defense of illegal immigration now just because some in here want a temporary reduction or halt to legal immigration until our economy and job situation improves? I don't get it. I mean this in a humerous way but have you become the victim of the "bodysnatchers" all of a sudden? I mean you have always been a a staunch objectionist to illegal immigration and this sudden near reversal has really got me puzzled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I think you're being unfair to some college students, who do in fact take fast food jobs and others to pay for their college education or help defray costs. In fact, I know several college students who will do anything to make ends meet. While I do not doubt that many are indeed arrogant brats, it is certainly not true for all. Let's not paint all citizen students with the same brush.
I agree with you, Benicar. Sure perhaps many from rich or upper middle class families may be spoiled brats not wanting to work but what about the middle and lower income kids that have been taught responsibility and good work ethics by their parents and that haven't been coddled? I think there are a lot more of them that need and want those jobs while they attend college or even just want an entry level job out of high school. I know so many of these that can't even find a job but would love to have one. It sadly disappoints me to hear our entire young or even not so young workforce spoken about in such a negative way. I am use to hearing this from the defenders of illegal aliens to justify their presence in this country by claiming that they are only doing jobs that Americans are too lazy to do but this......?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,954,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So let me ask you this. If some of us in here feel that legal immigration should be reduced or halted "temporarily" because of our bad economy, being in a recession and no job opportunities with millions of Americans unemployed that makes us the bad guys? A temporary reduction or temporary halt is not warranted based on the above until our economy improves and something is done about illegal immigration? Just askin.

We aren't so broke that we can't continue to detect, detain and deport illegal aliens as they are found. That is what the Dems would like you to believe and why Obama to retain numbers of the Hispanic votes he got in the last election gave the order to HS to stop deporting illegal aliens that haven't yet been "convicted" of a serious crime and gave over a million of them a back door amnesty. Please don't fall for the bait and lies.
The argument can be made that legal immigrants absolutely contribute more to the economy than they take away. One can further argue that they bring energy and fresh ideas to the table.
If I was an employer who would be best for my business? Entitlement minded spoiled whiners or the fresh blood?
As I said before some people you can't even pay to work, but you can damn sure pay them not to.
Most legal immigrants brought here for work fill an area that we are not filling ourselves. Nurses for example. We don't produce enough of them. Would you rather a well trained certified legal immigrant as your nurse after surgery or a discontented history major who took a first aid class? Hey at least its an american right?
The mind set of the anti's would have banned Albert Einstein....
The point is legal immigration is not the problem. Americans are the problem. I work in a factory where we are paid very well. The best in our area by far. Yet pride in the job? No not really. On an average team of 6 you have 2 that give a damn. They all love the pay but the thought of trying to earn it offends them. I have cancer and its come back with a vengeance, how does a sick person kick a 25 year olds ass on the floor? Day after day. Thats where fresh blood works great, thats why we need it. People are complacent. What made america great wasn't lack of immigrants. It was lots of immigrants breathing life into the system.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
The argument can be made that legal immigrants absolutely contribute more to the economy than they take away. One can further argue that they bring energy and fresh ideas to the table.
If I was an employer who would be best for my business? Entitlement minded spoiled whiners or the fresh blood?
As I said before some people you can't even pay to work, but you can damn sure pay them not to.
Most legal immigrants brought here for work fill an area that we are not filling ourselves. Nurses for example. We don't produce enough of them. Would you rather a well trained certified legal immigrant as your nurse after surgery or a discontented history major who took a first aid class? Hey at least its an american right?
The mind set of the anti's would have banned Albert Einstein....
The point is legal immigration is not the problem. Americans are the problem. I work in a factory where we are paid very well. The best in our area by far. Yet pride in the job? No not really. On an average team of 6 you have 2 that give a damn. They all love the pay but the thought of trying to earn it offends them. I have cancer and its come back with a vengeance, how does a sick person kick a 25 year olds ass on the floor? Day after day. Thats where fresh blood works great, thats why we need it. People are complacent. What made america great wasn't lack of immigrants. It was lots of immigrants breathing life into the system.
I am sorry that you are continuing to stereotype the American worker, tinman. I have no problem with legal immigrants in our workforce. That isn't the point. Of course, if you have two candidates for a job opening and one is a legal immigrant and one is an American citizen but the legal immigrant has better credentials and a more responsible work record by all means hire the legal immigrant.

I don't get this stereotyping of us anti's all of a sudden either. I don't think any of us are opposed to legal immigration in reasonable numbers and during good economic times. That isn't the case right now with millions of Americans out of work and our economy in the dumpster.

We need to deport all illegal aliens and free up those jobs for both Americans and legal immigrants. Don't you agree?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,288,224 times
According to the NPR story HALF...50% of the Asian immigrants don't speak English. Also many Asians are here without papers as well, or with only student visas. So enough with demonizing Hispanic immigrants who don't speak the language yet.

This is how most non-English speaking immigrant groups arrived to this country.

I personally know some Asians who came here sans papers, it doesn't bother me one bit. They are brave men sending money back to Indonesia to help their families.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,288,224 times
I'm taking a summer class at a prestigious New England school with about 30 kids in it. Only 9 of us actually stayed until the end of class and all but 1 of us was not Asian or Latin, or Black.

I'm so used to seeing American kids walk out of a class with their backpack on, sometimes even humming or drawing attention to themselves and away from the professor.

Or on Facebook chatting on $1,000 computers during a lecture.

Never seen so much disrespect until I started going to a traditional college versus my old commuter college.

It does give us hard working/mature students a leg up I guess, I just hope all employers don't think we are a bunch of entitled brats.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I am sorry that you are continuing to stereotype the American worker, tinman. I have no problem with legal immigrants in our workforce. That isn't the point. Of course, if you have two candidates for a job opening and one is a legal immigrant and one is an American citizen but the legal immigrant has better credentials and a more responsible work record by all means hire the legal immigrant.

I don't get this stereotyping of us anti's all of a sudden either. I don't think any of us are opposed to legal immigration in reasonable numbers and during good economic times. That isn't the case right now with millions of Americans out of work and our economy in the dumpster.

We need to deport all illegal aliens and free up those jobs for both Americans and legal immigrants. Don't you agree?
The stereo typing? Well lets just say an unprovoked attack occurred and was reenforced by yet another in the club anti group.
The American work force. Not so much older generations, but most definitely the 30 and under group.
Kids that need to be told to sweep the floor every damned day..... Not because they don't know to do it either.
I am still anti reward for illegals, but when the anti's say that convicted felons are more deserving than legal immigrants and naturalized citizens I part ways with that group. I am still anti Illegal amnesty but no other solutions are being put on the table, and lets face facts. Jobs are available but those on UE are not going to work for less than the UE pay.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 PM

9,070 posts, read 15,519,420 times
Quote:
Why all the negative stereotyping of our American workforce all of a sudden and a near defense of illegal immigration now just because some in here want a temporary reduction or halt to legal immigration until our economy and job situation improves? I don't get it. I mean this in a humerous way but have you become the victim of the "bodysnatchers" all of a sudden? I mean you have always been a a staunch objectionist to illegal immigration and this sudden near reversal has really got me puzzled.
Perhaps Tinman has seen what we have seen all along, SOME IN HERE don't like immigrants at all, illegal or legal. I feel that the majority of you aggressive hardliners are completely xenophobic. Been here 5 years myself, just my personal .02.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Perhaps Tinman has seen what we have seen all along, SOME IN HERE don't like immigrants at all, illegal or legal.
BINGO BINGO BINGO
There are no do overs. It wasn't one person and it was supported by others. I think its a matter of jealousy actually. How do these immigrants succeed when citizens don't? Two words. Work and Ethic

Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
The stereo typing? Well lets just say an unprovoked attack occurred and was reenforced by yet another in the club anti group.
The American work force. Not so much older generations, but most definitely the 30 and under group.
Kids that need to be told to sweep the floor every damned day..... Not because they don't know to do it either.
I am still anti reward for illegals, but when the anti's say that convicted felons are more deserving than legal immigrants and naturalized citizens I part ways with that group. I am still anti Illegal amnesty but no other solutions are being put on the table, and lets face facts. Jobs are available but those on UE are not going to work for less than the UE pay.
So one person has swayed your opinion on all of us anti's? I have already told you that many of our youth aren't what you describe. I know, I have many young adult neices and nephews and not one of them are like that. They want a job but they can't find one. I would love to send them your way.

I think you aren't looking at this remark about the felon vs the legal immigrant in the context it was meant to be. Think of work as a form of rehabilitation for the felon. I do understand however why any employer would be hesitant to hire them above anyone else including a legal immigrant. I can see both sides of the story but you can only see one.

Why should an American take a job that pays less than unemployment especially if he is supporting a family? Every dime counts, you know. I don't know I am just at a loss for words with you right now. I still respect you and your opinion but this seems like way out in left field to me. Do you get angry easily? Just askin. I have often wondered what makes people tick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration