U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Perhaps Tinman has seen what we have seen all along, SOME IN HERE don't like immigrants at all, illegal or legal. I feel that the majority of you aggressive hardliners are completely xenophobic. Been here 5 years myself, just my personal .02.
Well, out pops the word "xenophobic" once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2012, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So one person has swayed your opinion on all of us anti's? I have already told you that many of our youth aren't what you describe. I know, I have many young adult neices and nephews and not one of them are like that. They want a job but they can't find one. I would love to send them your way.

I think you aren't looking at this remark about the felon vs the legal immigrant in the context it was meant to be. Think of work as a form of rehabilitation for the felon. I do understand however why any employer would be hesitant to hire them above anyone else including a legal immigrant. I can see both sides of the story but you can only see one.

Why should an American take a job that pays less than unemployment especially if he is supporting a family? Every dime counts, you know. I don't know I am just at a loss for words with you right now. I still respect you and your opinion but this seems like way out in left field to me. Do you get angry easily? Just askin. I have often wondered what makes people tick.
Why work instead of staying on Unemployment? Well it would give one the moral high ground. As it is if they pass on work its not a matter of not finding work, its a matter of not wanting to work. Especially if its an extension....
It was not one person . It was one person made the statement and it was supported by other anti's. One person cast the insult and others joined it. None called foul. Partners to the end right.
Felons. Felons forfeited any right or expectation to be treated like a valued person. What I find Ironic is the idea that a convicted felon is somehow of greater value than a non felon and yet the anti's claim illegals are not worthy of any consideration due to their criminal activity and by entering illegally.
So are criminals bad or not? Your right I will never see a felon as having any value other than a possible organ donor. By felon I refer to violent offenders, drug dealers and sexual predators etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Well, out pops the word "xenophobic" once again.
Well if the shoe fits. I know at least two anti's that are xenophobic, I have had private conversations with them.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 15,977,670 times
Reputation: 8722
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
IF you read the artical you would have seen (Highly skilled) 60% of Asians are college grads.

There is a shortage of skilled nurses in this country. The filipines send quite a few here. What do you suggest we fill those nursing jobs with history or music majors? This is but 1 example.
How old is that information? There are a lot of unemployed nurses on the East Coast taking temp jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 10:27 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Why work instead of staying on Unemployment? Well it would give one the moral high ground. As it is if they pass on work its not a matter of not finding work, its a matter of not wanting to work. Especially if its an extension....
It was not one person . It was one person made the statement and it was supported by other anti's. One person cast the insult and others joined it. None called foul. Partners to the end right.
Felons. Felons forfeited any right or expectation to be treated like a valued person. What I find Ironic is the idea that a convicted felon is somehow of greater value than a non felon and yet the anti's claim illegals are not worthy of any consideration due to their criminal activity and by entering illegally.
So are criminals bad or not? Your right I will never see a felon as having any value other than a possible organ donor. By felon I refer to violent offenders, drug dealers and sexual predators etc.
I already explained to you why some would take the unemployment benefits over taking a job that pays less than that. Did you miss that? It hasn't anything to do with not wanting to work but matter of using the avenue that creates the most money to support your family.

If the insult you are referring to was about hiring a felon who has been released from jail rather than a legal immigrant that was just their opinion. Why take it as an insult? Some employers may want to give the felon a chance to help re-habilitate them. But as I said, that is the employer's choice. I can understand those who wouldn't want to take that chance either. I guess I just don't know why you feel insulted over this when it is just two sides of the story being presented.

You are comparing apples to oranges here. These illegal aliens that are working jobs that should be for Americans and/or legal immigrants haven't paid their dues by being incarcerated for being here illegally. In the American felon scenario they have. Also it isn't against the law for an employer to hire an American felon who has already served their time but it is against the law for them to hire illegal aliens. See the difference?

If you polled the members in here I am quite sure than none of them including myself would want anyone hiring felons who have been convicted of violent offenses. You've just thrown that in now and not before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well if the shoe fits. I know at least two anti's that are xenophobic, I have had private conversations with them.....
Are you saying that I am an xenophobic, tinman? Where have I expressed an objection to strangers in our country? What ethnic group/nationality is a stranger to our country anyway? My objection is to illegal aliens and their defenders and I don't care where they are from.

Last edited by Yac; 06-21-2012 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: 2 posts merged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I already explained to you why some would take the unemployment benefits over taking a job that pays less than that. Did you miss that? It hasn't anything to do with not wanting to work but matter of using the avenue that creates the most money to support your family.

If the insult you are referring to was about hiring a felon who has been released from jail rather than a legal immigrant that was just their opinion. Why take it as an insult? Some employers may want to give the felon a chance to help re-habilitate them. But as I said, that is the employer's choice. I can understand those who wouldn't want to take that chance either. I guess I just don't know why you feel insulted over this when it is just two sides of the story being presented.

You are comparing apples to oranges here. These illegal aliens that are working jobs that should be for Americans and/or legal immigrants haven't paid their dues by being incarcerated for being here illegally. In the American felon scenario they have. Also it isn't against the law for an employer to hire an American felon who has already served their time but it is against the law for them to hire illegal aliens. See the difference?

If you polled the members in here I am quite sure than none of them including myself would want anyone hiring felons who have been convicted of violent offenses. You've just thrown that in now and not before.
The insult specifically called out my wife...
Unemployed riding the UE dime rather than working. The point is work is available. They prefer to leach off the system rather than go to work... There is a huge difference in no jobs available and jobs that dont pay what we are used to. This means they opted to remain unemployed . We can't blame that on immigrants.
Violent felons was thrown in to the thread that had mass delete due to what the anti's said that night. Your anti partners defended the violent felons saying they were citizens and should come first. take that up with Purple rain.
The insult was minor but the intent was clear and unjustified.
It also opened my eyes.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Are you saying that I am an xenophobic, tinman? Where have I expressed an objection to strangers in our country? What ethnic group/nationality is a stranger to our country anyway? My objection is to illegal aliens and their defenders and I don't care where they are from.
Never said you. Please show me where I did. What I said is there are anti's who are and I know this for a fact after having pvt conversasions with them. Your allies are the ones who give all anti-illegals the black eye.

Last edited by Yac; 06-21-2012 at 02:40 AM.. Reason: 2 posts merged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 12:44 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The insult specifically called out my wife...
Unemployed riding the UE dime rather than working. The point is work is available. They prefer to leach off the system rather than go to work... There is a huge difference in no jobs available and jobs that dont pay what we are used to. This means they opted to remain unemployed . We can't blame that on immigrants.
Violent felons was thrown in to the thread that had mass delete due to what the anti's said that night. Your anti partners defended the violent felons saying they were citizens and should come first. take that up with Purple rain.
The insult was minor but the intent was clear and unjustified.
It also opened my eyes.....
I don't recall anyone calling out your wife with an insult but maybe I missed it. Please, for the third time why should an American take a job that pays less than his unemployment benefits when he has a family to support? Those kinds of jobs aren't usually not within their line of work and that is why they pay less than what the unemployed person was getting during his normal line of work.

I don't blame "immigrants" for anything. Do I have to repeat once again that I am opposed to illegal immigration and yes I do blame them for working here illegally regardless that the employer was willing to hire them because he supposedly couldn't find a citizen or legal immigrant to fill the job. It is against the law!

Well I guess I missed the posts where any anti's said they would hire a "violent" felon over a legal immgirant. I of course would disagree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 12:47 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Never said you. Please show me where I did. What I said is there are anti's who are and I know this for a fact after having pvt conversasions with them. Your allies are the ones who give all anti-illegals the black eye.
Well, you did say "if the shoe fits". I don't have an alliance with any xenophobe, racist anti's. Most anti-illegals however are not like that. So a few that are has given the entire anti-illegal immigration movement a black eye? Do you also feel that way about the reconquista, hate whitey ones that are in the pro-illegal alien movement? Come on, there are radicals on both sides of this issue but as long as they aren't the majority why dwell on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,627 posts, read 31,274,902 times
Reputation: 26702
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Again --- LEGAL on work visas. Mexicans are the largest group of family sponsored immigrants.

Asians don't generally have 8 or 9 kids they can't afford and you don't see them filling up the welfare offices, you almost never see an Asian using food stamps to buy food. I'm sure there are a few.
There are quite a few Asians on food stamps around here. They tend to be from southern east Asian countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and the Philippines, though obviously not always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 15,977,670 times
Reputation: 8722
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/21/ny...it_ur_20120621

More than half of all of African-Americans and other non-Hispanic blacks in the city who were old enough to work had no job at all this year, according to an analysis of employment data compiled by the federal Labor Department. And when black New Yorkers lose their jobs, they spend a full year, on average, trying to find new jobs — far longer than New Yorkers of other races.

I think we should be helping our own people find jobs rather than those here illegally. Obama is stabbing his own people in the back for the sake of a few votes.

I voted for him in 2008 and I'll be damned if I'll make that mistake again.
I don't know what black people are thinking, to vote for him this time around, after he's shown what he's made of.

It might be different if we had full employment and if the Latinos showed an interest in our culture and used English as their primary language when in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top