U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 04:54 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,933,357 times

Advertisements

So Obama, in a blatant bid for Hispanic votes, allows these people, who have taken up room in our classrooms, to also take our jobs.

I just heard on NPR that Asians are now the largest group of immigrants to the US 'because we need more technological people to fill jobs. There are many Americans who would love these jobs, but they would demand a living wage.

I don't think people realize that our government, both parties, have systematically acted to bread the backs of American labor.

We are going to have to compete at the level of those in third world nations.

Boy, am I happy that I never had any kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 05:06 AM

8,829 posts, read 8,959,075 times

Obama changes immigration policy - YouTube

Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
So Obama, in a blatant bid for Hispanic votes, allows these people, who have taken up room in our classrooms, to also take our jobs.

I just heard on NPR that Asians are now the largest group of immigrants to the US 'because we need more technological people to fill jobs. There are many Americans who would love these jobs, but they would demand a living wage.

I don't think people realize that our government, both parties, have systematically acted to bread the backs of American labor.

Actually no, Asians are not the largest ethnic group here either legally or illegally, Latinos are and by a wide margin. I posted the stats in here many times.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:07 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,933,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Actually no, Asians are not the largest ethnic group here either legally or illegally, Latinos are and by a wide margin. I posted the stats in here many times.
Well, this morning NPR said that used to be the case, but no longer. Asians now have them beat. They were each in the thirty something percentiles.

This is the number of people coming TO the country per time period and not the numbers who are already here.

Sorry if I were not clear.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Comments inline

Quote:

Something had to be done, Congress wouldn't pass the dream act and deporting kids who were brought here by their parents and only know America, isn't right IMO. Romney and Rubio were going to promote the same package for immigration reform, so Obama also stole their plan and implemented it, which was a genius move. It wasn't just votes, it was very strategic and right.

I work in the IT Field and I can tell you that employers want the Asians the most, so blame them. We in the field have embraced Asians and East Indians as co-workers.

American workers give up too easily. Take the aforementioned Asians tech job above, when the Asians and East Indians started emigrating, Americans basically stopped going for Computer Science degrees. It's too easy to sit back on the dole and complain about somebody taking your job.

This is part of globalization, which would have occurred with or without immigration.

More of that "give up" mentality IMO. I'm very happy to have my own , it is going to be an interesting future. Americans won't be able to just sit back and expect pensions, tuition reimbursement and job placement right out of college. Americans are going to have to get creative again.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:

I would bet that Asians are the largest group of legal work visa immigrants or at least the work that requires an education but Mexicans by far are the biggest group because many legal immigrants are being brought in through very massive family chain migration. All it takes for many is to have some family member here who can sponsor the whole clan.

Asians pretty much assimilate and learn English and fit in with the general American population.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Asians are the fastest growing group of immigrants:

Fueled by immigration, Asians are fastest-growing U.S. group

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7944728.story

Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Again --- LEGAL on work visas. Mexicans are the largest group of family sponsored immigrants.

Asians don't generally have 8 or 9 kids they can't afford and you don't see them filling up the welfare offices, you almost never see an Asian using food stamps to buy food. I'm sure there are a few.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
I doubt this is true when so many illegal aliens are pouring over our border on a daily basis from Mexico and other Latino countries. We don't have a border with Asia. Asians would have a long ways to go to match the number of Latinos here both legally and illegally. Most Asians aren't here illegally either.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:24 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Look at the key words.

They are not the largest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration