U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM

25,387 posts, read 16,330,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
This is nothing like a Amnesty............ If you want a Amnesty then we will have to follow Reagan's lead..... now that WAS a amnesty and it failed..... big time....... well done Republicans!
You are correct, amnesty was wrong under Reagan and the Dems in both houses of congress in the 80s. Just as it's wrong now. Except now we have 30 years of history to show us what a disaster it has been. And yet...we appear to have learned...exactly nothing from the past.

Those that can not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,792,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why? You think the illegals are going to take a second job? If they were working before, and they continue doing the same, then I don't see anything changing.
A lot of them weren't working -- remember -- Obama says these work visas are for illegal youngsters. They've been laying around in the schools, dropping out of schools (hence the ged being included). They may have never worked, their parents might pick lettuce, and maybe a very few of these kids do also but they will now be allowed to take the jobs that require citizenship or legal status.

The whole reason the illegals demanded this is that they also don't want to do the low paid hard work jobs that supposedly we need illegals to do -- they want the good jobs, the jobs that pay well, come with benefits -- and now they've got them.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 AM

21,076 posts, read 15,271,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
16-30 and have been in the US for 5 years and have a HS diploma or GED.
These are NOT your Spanish speaking lettuce pickers my friend.
You are absolutely right.
These people are way better educated than far too many American citizens these days and (will) have the papers to prove it.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 AM

21,076 posts, read 15,271,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A lot of them weren't working -- remember -- Obama says these work visas are for illegal youngsters. They've been laying around in the schools, dropping out of schools (hence the ged being included). They may have never worked, their parents might pick lettuce, and maybe a very few of these kids do also but they will now be allowed to take the jobs that require citizenship or legal status.

The whole reason the illegals demanded this is that they also don't want to do the low paid hard work jobs that supposedly we need illegals to do -- they want the good jobs, the jobs that pay well, come with benefits -- and now they've got them.

Yeah, the nerve of them actually buying into that whole "American dream" thing.
Sounds to me like they have the whole American entitlement philosphy so prevalent in that age group down pat.
Well, maybe excepting the ones willing to put on a uniform and serve and die for this country.
Way too many native-born Americans aren't willing to do that.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,107,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
If an illegal immigrant who can't speak English can do your job, you have bigger problems than Obama or his policies.
They can speak English, they attend public schools.
Most refuse to speak English out of disrespect & hostility.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,161,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
They can speak English, they attend public schools.
Most refuse to speak English out of disrespect & hostility.
I have to laugh at some of these comments defending illegal immigration. So it has nothing to do with the greedy employers hiring these illegal aliens because they work cheaper? It is all about lazy American mono-lingual English speaking workers who can't cut it on the job? Well guess what many if not most of these illegal alien Spanish speakers are mono-lingual also. I can't believe the hate expressed in here towards our American workforce. It really sickens me.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:24 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,107,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I have to laugh at some of these comments defending illegal immigration. So it has nothing to do with the greedy employers hiring these illegal aliens because they work cheaper? It is all about lazy American mono-lingual English speaking workers who can't cut it on the job? Well guess what many if not most of these illegal alien Spanish speakers are mono-lingual also. I can't believe the hate expressed in here towards our American workforce. It really sickens me.
LOL it never fails with them.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM

6,527 posts, read 8,630,424 times
Has any pollster asked unemployed under 30 white/hispanic/black what they think about having to compete with an additional 1 million people to find a job?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,977,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Has any pollster asked unemployed under 30 white/hispanic/black what they think about having to compete with an additional 1 million people to find a job?
71% of Americans are FOR this and glad the President did this.
I guess they are welcoming the additional competition.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,388,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
You are absolutely right.
These people are way better educated than far too many American citizens these days and (will) have the papers to prove it.
That's not even remotely true. Hispanic high school drop out rates (and most illegals are hispanic) far exceed that of American counterparts. The reason Obama included the GED is because he's pandering to illegals. You can take the GED in Spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yeah, the nerve of them actually buying into that whole "American dream" thing.
Sounds to me like they have the whole American entitlement philosphy so prevalent in that age group down pat.
Well, maybe excepting the ones willing to put on a uniform and serve and die for this country.
Way too many native-born Americans aren't willing to do that.
The nerve of them to violate multiple American laws and expect to be rewarded for it in the middle of a recession. I'm really sick of people who romanticize selfish lawbreakers while excoriating Americans for being unwilling to work for slave wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.