U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 01:29 PM

5,396 posts, read 6,917,522 times

Advertisements

Hey there mac! Been under the radar lately!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 01:34 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Hey there mac! Been under the radar lately!
There's a new and contentious mood here on the immigration sub-forum that makes it very difficult to "plunge in". I've been monitoring things mostly from the sidelines. But don't let that fool you---I'm still "keeping score".....

Old 10-07-2007, 02:34 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Interesting thread, and one I've thought about a lot. I think some of us, though, are being a little hard on the "traditionalists" among us, seeming to allude to the fact that they are being racists and xenophobes. The fact is that no country on earth ever sought to provide a home for all of mankind until America "happened"---and that the US is attempting to do things that few other nations would be willing to do.

The US is a "new" type of nation, in which there are no requirements as to race, ethnicity, or religion in order to be "members". Very little is required of anyone wanting to be a citizen. Until recent years, we've more-or-less expected folks to learn English; now even this is under attack. But it would be wise to remember that, other than a common language, and a very vague concept of some sort of "culture", there is really nothing more to hold us together as a viable nation. And no group, club, or organization could long exist if it couldn't even define what was required of its members.

There is no country on earth with a long, secure history of true multiculturalism. (And really, I think, this is what this is all about). Any nation which includes multiple cultures, without exception, has either been held together by a draconian government, or has disintegrated. There are numerous examples of both, but none of free, open, and multicultural societies.

So far, most of "our" (the US) immigrants have been relatively peace-loving---but it's a big world out there. What happens when some group shows up who not only doesn't want to assimilate here, but openly advocates our destruction? (Anyone wanting a clearer picture of this can look to Europe). Just because someone comes here, doesn't mean they LIKE us. In a case like that (and it WILL happen, sooner or later), just how multicultural can we be? Does anyone here seriously think that Europe, in the next century, won't be having some VERY serious problems? Shouldn't that be a warning to us?

I think it's fair to allow for the fact that we do need to INSIST on some parameters of just what it is that is neccessary for anyone wanting to be a part of this. It seems to me that a comon language is the very least we should expect. If that's inconvenient to some, then perhaps this isn't the country for them. But I don't see that we have much choice.
Quite possibly the best post I have yet to read... Well done.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 5,115 times
Even if English were harder to learn than Spanish, and I don't agree that it is, why wouldn't immigrants want to learn more than 3 words? I have friends who learned Japanese. Now you can't tell me Japanese is easier to learn for an English speaker than English is for a Spanish speaker. When I was younger, I had Trekkie friends who spoke fluent Klingon. I mean, come on, if you try, you can do it.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:37 AM

47 posts, read 141,321 times
Not to get off the subject, last night I watched a show called "America's most smartest model". . . let me see if I can explain this correctly. . .bear with me!

With a total of 16 models, all a mix of different nationalities, stood ONE from the soviet union. This guy was sooooo against the other models, always referring to them as the "americans" and basically saying that he was the smartes there. Now, aside from the norm (competitiveness in ANY reality show), this guy wasn't just competitive, he was being very racist against the rest of the models. In other words, he was portraying himself as the smartest person there because he is from the soviet union. The most disturbing thought to me is, the show itself takes place in LA. This is an american show and here is this guy, saying he is better than us, why is he even on this show to begin with?? I am not racist, please read my posts for proof, but why should we as americans have to be put down and degraded that way?? How could this jerk be so narrow minded, doesn't he see he's making a fool out of himself?? Can anyone explain this to me please??

Old 10-08-2007, 09:46 AM

3,886 posts, read 5,996,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
Even if English were harder to learn than Spanish, and I don't agree that it is, why wouldn't immigrants want to learn more than 3 words? I have friends who learned Japanese. Now you can't tell me Japanese is easier to learn for an English speaker than English is for a Spanish speaker. When I was younger, I had Trekkie friends who spoke fluent Klingon. I mean, come on, if you try, you can do it.
As I've stated before, 55%(bare minumum) of the words in the English language come directly from Latin! Spanish speaking people have the vocabulary to learn all they have to do is just apply themselves!!!

I mean if people in dirt poor Afghanistan can learn English certainly these immigrants can!!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 04:05 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,089,611 times
Tell you what, since you think America is so intolerant of other cultures, take a trip to Mexico and see how much they respect your english speaking culture there. Better yet, go to China, and see how far you get without assimilating, and refuse to speak their language...come back and give us the update on how that little field trip goes.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:09 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,159,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorker2 View Post
How so many people on this thread complain about Hispanics not wanting to assimilate in the US or learn to speak the language when most Americans go to other countries and the first thing that frustrates them is " nobody speaks English around here??". Americans for some reason seem to have no respect for other cultures outside of their own when in reality... what exactly IS American culture?? This is a land where everyone that is here emmigrated from another country but yet seem to have this superior attitude towards outsiders/foreigners! Isnt it also funny how when Americans get in trouble in other countries the first thing they scream is "I'm an American"!

Moderator cut: racist coments and insults are not allowed on this forum
There is no American culture. The American culture is a melting pot of other cultures.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:16 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
There is no American culture. The American culture is a melting pot of other cultures.
This is a sure way to annoy the locals in any country on earth. Telling someone they have "no culture" is just plain rude; it's also not true. The fact that America is a "melting pot" doesn't mean it has no culture. That's like telling a Mestizo he "has no race". The problem is the American culture is so "nice" to outsiders that it requires very little of them; we demand almost nothing of others, not even respect. Your post proves that this is a very naive position on our part.

Sadly, it seems that most of the world sees the "nice guy" as a foolish patsy to be taken advantage of in every way. To that extent, I suppose you're right. America doesn't have THAT kind of culture.

Last edited by macmeal; 10-10-2007 at 04:41 PM..

Old 10-10-2007, 04:44 PM

537 posts, read 312,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
YES, there most certainly is an American Culture and I am tired of people saying that there isn't. The melting pot is part of it and these days, iut is no melting pot at all when you have all of the different ethnicities wanting special treatment and such for themselves. And never forget that these same races and ethnicities also self segregate themselves and then blame it on Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration