U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,159,589 times

Advertisements

Baseball is a North American version of Rounders, created in Britain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 25 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,472,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
Please tell me which country came up with baseball. LOLOLOLOL Another person who has no idea what American culture is. What a shame that one would know so little about the country they supposedly call home.
Who doesn't know that America created Baseball? Hence the reason I left it out of my post, but they did not create Apple Pie, it was derived off the Dutch pie.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:31 PM

I don't mean to be an but Hot dogs aren't even American. This is why I say American culture is a melting pot of different cultures from all over the world. This is why America is beautiful. And same with Hamburgers.. -Hamburg, Germany.

"The city of Vienna traces the lineage of the hot dog to the wienerwurst or Viennese sausage, the city of Frankfurt to the frankfurter wurst, which it claims was invented in the 1480s; the hot dog has also been attributed to Johann Georghehner, a 17th century butcher from the Bavarian city of Coburg who is said to have invented the "dachshund" or "little-dog" sausage and brought it to Frankfurt.[1]"

Last edited by ProLogic; 10-10-2007 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: language

Old 10-11-2007, 04:08 AM

1,352 posts, read 5,681,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2FL View Post
Not to get off the subject, last night I watched a show called "America's most smartest model". . . let me see if I can explain this correctly. . .bear with me!

With a total of 16 models, all a mix of different nationalities, stood ONE from the soviet union. This guy was sooooo against the other models, always referring to them as the "americans" and basically saying that he was the smartes there. Now, aside from the norm (competitiveness in ANY reality show), this guy wasn't just competitive, he was being very racist against the rest of the models. In other words, he was portraying himself as the smartest person there because he is from the soviet union. The most disturbing thought to me is, the show itself takes place in LA. This is an american show and here is this guy, saying he is better than us, why is he even on this show to begin with?? I am not racist, please read my posts for proof, but why should we as americans have to be put down and degraded that way?? How could this jerk be so narrow minded, doesn't he see he's making a fool out of himself?? Can anyone explain this to me please??

I feel you on this....it's the same feeling i get when some Purto Rican from NY tells people why PR and NYC are the best places in the planet earth when they have actually lived in Florida or Chicago for years...if its so great in PR and your little neighborhood in NYC is that much better ....then go back....stop talking..and be real while you pack your shi#$! back to the Bronx or wherever the hell you come from....we dont care where you are from because we live "here"

Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 AM

457 posts, read 302,328 times
The point you seem to be missing, Prologic, is MOST people who immigrate here LEGALLY actually assimilate into our society and become a "part-of" as opposed to the ILLEGAL mexicans who prefer to stay "apart-from". You, for example, spend a lot of time attacking the roots of certain aspects of American "traditions" to defend the assumption that ILLEGAL mexicans have anything to offer the country. Nobody is denying that Hispanics have influenced our culture and traditions as well. (tacos, nachos, etc)

But, that isn't a reason to continue to turn a blind eye towards a very REAL problem: ILLEGAL ALIENS invading our southern borders.

I'm sorry, but, we do NOT want pink and turquoise houses nor do we want to have to cater to their REFUSAL to learn/speak English. What's worse is most of them DO speak English; they just want us to THINK they don't.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:30 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,969,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I don't mean to be an but Hot dogs aren't even American. This is why I say American culture is a melting pot of different cultures from all over the world. This is why America is beautiful. And same with Hamburgers.. -Hamburg, Germany.

"The city of Vienna traces the lineage of the hot dog to the wienerwurst or Viennese sausage, the city of Frankfurt to the frankfurter wurst, which it claims was invented in the 1480s; the hot dog has also been attributed to Johann Georghehner, a 17th century butcher from the Bavarian city of Coburg who is said to have invented the "dachshund" or "little-dog" sausage and brought it to Frankfurt.[1]"

It's called getting "Americanized." Pizza, hamburgers, apple pie, and hot dogs as we know them and indeed, as are enjoyed in their popular forms today around the world, are AMERICANIZED versions of old-world dishes.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:31 AM

348 posts, read 914,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
The point you seem to be missing, Prologic, is MOST people who immigrate here LEGALLY actually assimilate into our society and become a "part-of" as opposed to the ILLEGAL mexicans who prefer to stay "apart-from". You, for example, spend a lot of time attacking the roots of certain aspects of American "traditions" to defend the assumption that ILLEGAL mexicans have anything to offer the country. Nobody is denying that Hispanics have influenced our culture and traditions as well. (tacos, nachos, etc)

But, that isn't a reason to continue to turn a blind eye towards a very REAL problem: ILLEGAL ALIENS invading our southern borders.

I'm sorry, but, we do NOT want pink and turquoise houses nor do we want to have to cater to their REFUSAL to learn/speak English. What's worse is most of them DO speak English; they just want us to THINK they don't.
Thank you! Kudos!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:33 AM

348 posts, read 914,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It's called getting "Americanized." Pizza, hamburgers, apple pie, and hot dogs as we know them and indeed, as are enjoyed in their popular forms today around the world, are AMERICANIZED versions of old-world dishes.
Yes, brought to us by our European ancestors, who settled in America and built our country and gave us our "American Culture"...if you don't understand American Culture, well I can't explain it to you because you'll never get it...

edited for typo

Last edited by happymom4; 10-11-2007 at 07:43 AM..

Old 10-11-2007, 07:58 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,975,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Baseball is a North American version of Rounders, created in Britain.
Actually, nobody is sure which game was invented first, and there are some plausible claims that baseball was invented BEFORE rounders. The British love to claim that baseball is taken from rounders, though. I suppose if they say it enough times, it must be true...right?

Old 10-11-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post

I'm not attacking anyones routes or traditions, I was simply pointing out that hot dogs,hamburgers and such were brought to us by immigrants. I don't want anyone to turquoise their house. That looks plain ugly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration