U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:00 PM

348 posts, read 914,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I'm not attacking anyones routes or traditions, I was simply pointing out that hot dogs,hamburgers and such were brought to us by immigrants. I don't want anyone to turquoise their house. That looks plain ugly!
I think most of us are familiar with the origins of hotdogs and hamburgers since the immigrants who brought them were our ancestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 08:51 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Thats good for everyone. I was just making sure everyone knew

Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 AM

61 posts, read 280,434 times
Wow, thanks to everyone and all the insights ( agreed or disagreed) provided on this thread. I started this thread and havent been back in a while since I do not know how to track these threads and not have to start back from the first page but i see here responses from many people even from outside of FL.

thanks to everyone for your input in a healthy discussion

Old 01-10-2008, 10:25 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorker2 View Post
Wow, thanks to everyone and all the insights ( agreed or disagreed) provided on this thread. I started this thread and havent been back in a while since I do not know how to track these threads and not have to start back from the first page but i see here responses from many people even from outside of FL.

thanks to everyone for your input in a healthy discussion

When you post you can ask for a
notification at the bottom....use the notification type box...

Old 01-10-2008, 11:04 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorker2 View Post
for some reason seem to have no respect for other cultures outside of their own when in reality... what exactly IS American culture?? This is a land where everyone that is here emmigrated from another country but yet seem to have this superior attitude towards outsiders/foreigners! Isnt it also funny how when Americans get in trouble in other countries the first thing they scream is "I'm an American"!

Moderator cut: racist coments and insults are not allowed on this forum
I'm here, and I didn't immigrate from another country--nor did my parents, nor did my family. They were born here. My wife was born here too--in fact, her ancestors were here before Europeans ever HEARD of the place.

In answer to your question, American culture is a self-imposed concept, one that was constructed from bits and pieces of other cultures, as well as stuff "made up on the spot"...It's really a hybrid of MANY cultures. hopefully incorporating their best features, while leaving out some of their rougher qualities. Most people agree it's a vast improvement over the way their ancestors lived--which is why they're here.

Americans can and do act 'boorish' overseas, and are just as insensitive as any other group. Some DO ask "why doesn't anyone speak English here?", just as you suggest.

However, it's important to ask, what is the RESULT of this ill-mannered behavior? Do other countries 'jump' to accomodate them? Do their citizens wring their hands in guilt over not being able to accomodate the pushy 'yanks'? Do these Americans storm through the streets, tying up traffic, and demanding all sorts of services in English? Do they threaten the locals to gain their 'compliance'?....I don't think you're being very objective here.

Some other nations DO go far to provide services, etc, catering to English speakers. (The resort areas of Mexico are an example) These concessions are made voluntarily by the local businesses and governments, who recognize it's simply 'good business' to learn English, if you hope to capture the 'yanqui' tourist dollar. No one FORCES them to learn English, nor do they 'punish' them if they don't.. In these cases, it's simply a business decision---one that apparently works out for tourists AND their 'hosts' as well....

Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2FL View Post
If I wanted something and knew I could get away with it, I would probably do it too!
That would make you a dishonest person. Thanks for the revelation. I will now disregard everything you say.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:37 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
That would make you a dishonest person. Thanks for the revelation. I will now disregard everything you say.
Good point, nvexplorer. The folks "who want something, so they take it---just because they CAN" are the same folks who "don't get it" when we find ourselves impacted by ever-more draconian laws and regulations. Laws and regulations are what keeps people "in line" when they can't keep THEMSELVES in line. That's why we have lost so much of our personal freedoms and the atmosphere of trust that our society once knew...because some people can't control their behavior, and will go as far as they can, until someone else steps in and controls it FOR them.....nice society, huh?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration