U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:59 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,058,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorker2 View Post

The last thing that I want to remind everyone..( i may be off for a few weeks, will be traveling with no direct access to email) is that 2 out of 50 states acquired by America, Puerto Rico and Hawaii, both had their own languages when acquired.. Therefore realize that the Puerto Ricans living in the U.S. are considered Americans and that Spanish has also been added as an official language in the US!
Ummmm.....you are aware that Puerto Rico is not a state?

Also, where does this official language information come from? As far as I know, the whole problem is that the US has no official language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2FL View Post
It's wonderful that your great grandparents felt that way about this country. I am 50% puerto rican, 25% german and 25% turkish, born and raised here. My neice is now 2 1/2 years old, and is learning to speak both english and spanish. I feel it's very important that she speak spanish along with english b/c in her future it will benefit her. Our country is changing, and to be better educated and better able to communicate in different ways is more important than ever. It's important to me that she knows every culture she was born into.
You have clearly stated the problem in the US today. She was only born into one culture. The USA. American. That's it. That is her culture. We are one nation. Not a bunch of nations.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:16 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,811,640 times
Wow, your view seems to be very narrow minded. A person's culture is their ancestry, their background. The girl comes from a multicultural background and its important for her to be aware of that and celebrate that, regardless of where she was born.
Celebrating that is not the problem with US today. Bigotry and prejudice is the problem. This country started out by Europeans taking over the Native American's land. It was foreigners who started this country. The US is just a bunch of French, Irish, Africans, etc. And now you have a problem with that?It seems you want to take all the multicultural aspects out and make it all one. Should we make it all one religion too? Maybe become a totalitarian state? Unbelievable.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:20 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,811,640 times
And, yes, Puerto Rico is considered a commonwealth of the United States. Therefore they are speaking their native language in their native country.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:23 PM

61 posts, read 280,961 times
Moderator cut: insulting other members is not allowed NOONE in America is out of one culture! Like another poster said earlier, cultures start to change and morphe as more "immigrants" reproduce here! To think that there is such a thing about the "American Culture" and nothing else is totally absurd.. I watch the travel channel as traveling is one of my passions and i NEVER see anyone refer to an "american culture" why?/ because America is MADE of all different cultures and backgrounds! The only thing that people unfortunately seem to associate with American culture is Elvis, Hip Hop and Rock music!

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-05-2007 at 04:28 PM..

Old 10-05-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
And, yes, Puerto Rico is considered a commonwealth of the United States. Therefore they are speaking their native language in their native country.
Puerto Rico is not a state. The op referred to it as a state. It's not.

It is indeed a commonwealth of the United States, and it's citizens are US citizens, same as other commonwealths of the US, such as American Samoa.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Wow, your view seems to be very narrow minded. A person's culture is their ancestry, their background. The girl comes from a multicultural background and its important for her to be aware of that and celebrate that, regardless of where she was born.
Celebrating that is not the problem with US today. Bigotry and prejudice is the problem. This country started out by Europeans taking over the Native American's land. It was foreigners who started this country. The US is just a bunch of French, Irish, Africans, etc. And now you have a problem with that?It seems you want to take all the multicultural aspects out and make it all one. Should we make it all one religion too? Maybe become a totalitarian state? Unbelievable.
Referring to oneself as French, Jamaican or whatever is not true, unless you personally emigrated from that country. If you want to say you are of French descent or your ancestors where Russian, fine, but that doesn't make you French or Russian. It destroys the country when people think of themselves as other than Americans.

It's only recently that this has started. Ask the GI's fighting in WWII, and they would have told you they were American.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:19 PM

430 posts, read 1,260,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I have a comment on the thing about learning English.........Why would hispanics think that they shouldn't have to learn english while living in the U.S.?......I know alot have learned it but there are some who refuse.......Blacks had to learn English after being forced to come over here during the slavery era....so what makes hispanic immigrants nowadays so special?......Italians had to learn english to....and everyone else that has a history in America has adopted English living here in America...why do hispanics say we are being racist ....and when hispanics say "we" are being racist it means all people who have adopted the english language while living through generations in america....it means hispanics are saying that white irish, white italians , Germans, blacks, french americans, asian americans are being racists....ect.
Actually, among immigrants, English is learned if anything faster today that a hundred years ago. Assimilation has always taken several generations on average, and that is a reason to limit immigration. Now, as far as some people insisting they are not americans even when born here (SOME-not most) that is part of the whole growing multicultural-anti-american trend pushed by neoliberal globalists. But one can also still be bicultural and identify with the U.S. There should be room for some cultural diversity within a firmly U.S./american identity! Unfortunately, -it seem a lot of people think it has to be one way or the other. -How about a bit of moderation and not so much extremism? -and that goes for BOTH sides-!!!

In Miami because of the whole enclave mentality it takes longer than in most of the country. Most (the vast majority) of legal hispanic immigrants learn English eventually if they stay hear, -just as much as any other non English speaking working class immigrants. Working class immigrants in general are more slow to learn the language than their more affluent counterparts no matter where they are from, and that is nothing new.

Almost all adult U.S. born Hispanics DO in fact speak English, -contrary to what many seem to believe. Today, the main problem is illegal immigration and those who support and defend it, no matter who they are. It is true most illegal immigrants to the U.S. are NOT eligible for legal status, -but there is are valid reasons for limiting the number of foreign immigrants to ANY country.

Last edited by bigtallredhead; 10-05-2007 at 04:52 PM..

Old 10-05-2007, 04:30 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,733,784 times
OK, this thread no longer has anything to do with Miami (where thread originated) and now time to move to immigration forum.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:34 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,704,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorker2 View Post
How so many people on this thread complain about Hispanics not wanting to assimilate in the US or learn to speak the language when most Americans go to other countries and the first thing that frustrates them is " nobody speaks English around here??". Americans for some reason seem to have no respect for other cultures outside of their own when in reality... what exactly IS American culture?? This is a land where everyone that is here emmigrated from another country but yet seem to have this superior attitude towards outsiders/foreigners! Isnt it also funny how when Americans get in trouble in other countries the first thing they scream is "I'm an American"!

Moderator cut: racist coments and insults are not allowed on this forum
I had the opportunity several times to go to Mexico for a month, first time we went we took a spanish teacher to translate for us. low and behold she was just as loss as we were when trying to communicate while there..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration