U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2007, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Concord, California.
430 posts, read 1,261,658 times
Reputation: 89

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Sorry, but I hear this a lot on this forum. I'm here, and I haven't "emmigrated" from another country; nor did my parents, siblings, or most others I know. It's true that sometime in the past the ANCESTORS of most of us "immigrated" here....but, if you want to play that game, ALL of us probably had ancestors who lived in trees, at some point. I don't see what ancestry has to do with anything; most Americans, at the present time, were born in America; they are not immigrants. This is not a "land of immigrants"...it's a "land of the descendants of immigrants"----
Great way of putting it! -Peoples culture changes over time, -being a descendant of immigrants dose not make one an immigrant. That's also true for the more than half of U.S. Hispanics born in the U.S. -Even the many who call themselves Mexican, for example, most are actualy NOT of the dominant culture of Mexico itself, -but their own Mexican influenced version of U.S. culture. There is far more actual cultural unity in the U.S. than there is of identity or politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2007, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 5,692,634 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorker2 View Post
OK first, let me THANK everyone who has replied to this post! I am new to this forum and dont know how to follow up on my post but i have read soo many valid points from this post that it reminds me why technology rocks! The beauty of the US is that we are all entitled to our own opinion and its great to see how we can all agree to disagree on the topic of immigration.

The last thing that I want to remind everyone..( i may be off for a few weeks, will be traveling with no direct access to email) is that 2 out of 50 states acquired by America, Puerto Rico and Hawaii, both had their own languages when acquired.. Therefore realize that the Puerto Ricans living in the U.S. are considered Americans and that Spanish has also been added as an official language in the US! Not sure if everyone had realized that! Too many "spanish speaking immigrants"...guess what.. a lot of them are U.S. citizens just like you and jsut like you shouldnt be forced to speak another language because of them... shouldnt the same rules apply for them?

Although the Hawaiian language itself is slowly but surely dying, it should also be considered part of U>S Culture! Which brings me back to my point about the "assimilation" question. Is it just the speakers of another language that refuse to assimilate?? Or could it be that Americans dont wish to assimilate to "other" languages and cultures either??



I disagree......nothing personal but i know what you are "trying" to show people....its not even racist for us to expect spanish speakers to know English here......so dont think its a racism issue.......it is like what i said before about "ALL" of the different cultures that came before the new spanish cultures now and how they all adopted english....why do hispanics think that we are supposed to accept if certain people in the hispanic race cant do what all the other cultures and races did before when thier cultures moved here.....Puerto Rico isnt really a U.S. state...its a commonwealth and the last i read ...about half of the population in PR wants to remain a commonwealth while the other half want to become a state of the U.S.........well i just have one question for you and for any Puerto Rican ....Why do you want the benifits of living in the U.S. but you dont place an american flag next to the U.S. flag?.....most Puerto Ricans i know arent too quick to say that they are Puerto Rican-American....they just say they are Puerto Rican....its like me growing up in Florida ....which is a state but when someone asks what country i represent i will say "the United States"...so if you want to say Puert Rico is a state then you should say also that you represent the United States too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2007, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 5,692,634 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Wow, your view seems to be very narrow minded. A person's culture is their ancestry, their background. The girl comes from a multicultural background and its important for her to be aware of that and celebrate that, regardless of where she was born.
Celebrating that is not the problem with US today. Bigotry and prejudice is the problem. This country started out by Europeans taking over the Native American's land. It was foreigners who started this country. The US is just a bunch of French, Irish, Africans, etc. And now you have a problem with that?It seems you want to take all the multicultural aspects out and make it all one. Should we make it all one religion too? Maybe become a totalitarian state? Unbelievable.


I think what we are getting at is that most americans dont consider "rice and beans" the american meal.....America is a mix of people and in the past all the other cultures and races came over here for a better life but they took the test to become a citizen and they all learned english.....America accepts everyone but everyone must accept the laws and constitution of the United States to be here.......i am Italian American but you know what i grew up and was born here ....and my roots havent helped me get jobs here because i am Italian......i personally dont think pride about your culture should be something to take that much pride in....did you choose what you would be when you were born?...and that is how racism starts because one person has too much pride about thier race......why did my ancestors from Italy have to learn english and take a test if hispanic people dont have to.......i dont think thats too fair to give hand outs to people because they feel discriminated against....my great grandmother came over here in the 30's with nothing....she along with alot of people back then suffered to be here......now the country has turned soft and people dont have to do things the right way to be here anymore and alot of people just want to fly thier own flag here and not the flag of the place they live in.....its ridiculous to see people with the PR flags all over Orlando driving around but no U.S. flag beside that....just because PR is a commonwealth of the U.S. doesnt mean that the PR flag is what should fly on the U.S. mainland soil....alot of people died for the right to have the U.S. fLAG fly here and by living here and not showing respect by putting both flags together is a slap in the face of those who died.....america is one of the most accepting countries when it comes to flying foriegn flags when there is a part of the foriegn population at sporting events ect......if you go to any basketball game they will have the U.S. flag along withanother nations flag depending on who is playing for the teams and depending on which teams are playing....if you go to other countries you dont see people flying the U.S. flag......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2007, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 5,692,634 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
And, yes, Puerto Rico is considered a commonwealth of the United States. Therefore they are speaking their native language in their native country.

read my last reply.....you just wanna shock people (white and black americans) with a flag and language that will get some attention ....well just think about the real reasons why you think this way....people died to fly the american flag on our soil they didnt die to fly the Puerto Rican Flag.....PR is a commonwealth.... but what country do you represent and what country do you honestly tell white/black americans that you personally represent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2007, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,701,482 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
read my last reply.....you just wanna shock people (white and black americans) with a flag and language that will get some attention ....well just think about the real reasons why you think this way....people died to fly the american flag on our soil they didnt die to fly the Puerto Rican Flag.....PR is a commonwealth.... but what country do you represent and what country do you honestly tell white/black americans that you personally represent?
You made mention of being of Italian heritage:

100 years ago that minority; especially Sicilians, faced rampant discrimination------yet, your forbearers stepped up and became American

Note too in all fairness; when the borders were closed ca. 1920, many of the Italian immigrants who could not (or would not) assimilate left and went back to Italy------leaving the ones who would become patriotic Americans

Side note: an Argentine of 100% Italian lineage legally speaking, is a Hispanic here in the USA------yet his cousins here would be 'Anglo'. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2007, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Bay Area
2,406 posts, read 6,816,727 times
Reputation: 1843
I was not born in this country, however am a citizen. I don't consider hot dogs my national meal nor do I consider rice and beans. My family and I are not Christian, don't watch baseball or eat apple pie and have very few cultural similarities with the average "American". Obviously I speak English, however I feel no need to assimilate and forget my own culture just to blend in. I have very little in common with the American culture yet do not look down on it either. I really couldn't care less what flags people fly as long as they are good people. What about Chinatowns all over the country? Same thing? What about Brighton Beach in Brooklyn? Same thing?
Leave the people alone and stop complaining, maybe spend a little more time on yourself, trying to better your life instead of complaining about all the immigrants "taking over" the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2007, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 2,994,601 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I was not born in this country, however am a citizen. I don't consider hot dogs my national meal nor do I consider rice and beans. My family and I are not Christian, don't watch baseball or eat apple pie and have very few cultural similarities with the average "American". Obviously I speak English, however I feel no need to assimilate and forget my own culture just to blend in. I have very little in common with the American culture yet do not look down on it either. I really couldn't care less what flags people fly as long as they are good people. What about Chinatowns all over the country? Same thing? What about Brighton Beach in Brooklyn? Same thing?
Leave the people alone and stop complaining, maybe spend a little more time on yourself, trying to better your life instead of complaining about all the immigrants "taking over" the country.
I don't have a problem with people retaining their native cultures; my family STILL celebrates Christmas the Polish way even though none of us even speak the language anymore...the last one was my grandmother who died recently. We even use the Polish words for grandmother and grandfather instead of the English ones. I don't see anything wrong with honoring your native/ancestral culture. We do it! A lot of Americans of English/German extraction don't seem to retain any links to their native cultures...the Irish ones honor it a bit...the Italians much more so. To me, Americans of Polish extraction are fully assimilated even though they retain some aspects of their ancestral culture. That's the greatest thing about America...no matter where you were born, you can become an American.

My pet peeve is people who move here, live here for decades, and make NO effort to learn English but expect us to pander to them by offering services in their language. THAT pisses me off. I get that when people first arrive, their English might not be so great. That is understandable. However...they should make learning English a huge priority. English is the de facto language of the United States; refusing to learn it is just plain rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2007, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,701,482 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I don't have a problem with people retaining their native cultures; my family STILL celebrates Christmas the Polish way even though none of us even speak the language anymore...the last one was my grandmother who died recently. We even use the Polish words for grandmother and grandfather instead of the English ones. I don't see anything wrong with honoring your native/ancestral culture. We do it! A lot of Americans of English/German extraction don't seem to retain any links to their native cultures...the Irish ones honor it a bit...the Italians much more so. To me, Americans of Polish extraction are fully assimilated even though they retain some aspects of their ancestral culture. That's the greatest thing about America...no matter where you were born, you can become an American.

My pet peeve is people who move here, live here for decades, and make NO effort to learn English but expect us to pander to them by offering services in their language. THAT pisses me off. I get that when people first arrive, their English might not be so great. That is understandable. However...they should make learning English a huge priority. English is the de facto language of the United States; refusing to learn it is just plain rude.
More than just 'rude': not learning/speaking correct English will cripple a person here in the USA outside for a few enclaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2007, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,701,482 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I was not born in this country, however am a citizen. I don't consider hot dogs my national meal nor do I consider rice and beans. My family and I are not Christian, don't watch baseball or eat apple pie and have very few cultural similarities with the average "American". Obviously I speak English, however I feel no need to assimilate and forget my own culture just to blend in. I have very little in common with the American culture yet do not look down on it either. I really couldn't care less what flags people fly as long as they are good people. What about Chinatowns all over the country? Same thing? What about Brighton Beach in Brooklyn? Same thing?
Leave the people alone and stop complaining, maybe spend a little more time on yourself, trying to better your life instead of complaining about all the immigrants "taking over" the country.
Uh; faina00; you are assimilating whether you wish to admit to it or not.

#1: your English is not only good; it is de facto American English to boot

#2: you are a US citizen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2007, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Bay Area
2,406 posts, read 6,816,727 times
Reputation: 1843
Is an Indian (East Indian) with perfect English and British citizenship English or Indian? I suspect they still consider themselves Indian, because of their birthplace, culture, heritage, native tongue, etc.
My grammar skills and passport do not define who I am, but thank you for the compliment, I'm often told my English is far better than the average Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top